• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Video Gaming News - Hasbro sues for breach of contact by Atari

dontmazemebro

First Post
This is such a shame if it is in fact preventing the development of D&D computer games.

I've been salivating at the thought of a 4E computer game since 4E's release. It would be so fun to customize a full party and take them from 1 to 30. I just can't stop thinking how amazing a turn-based strategy game could turn out.

And, yes, they could make an amazing and epic adventure in PoL, it's all about the writers. Get the team that wrote Torment, perhaps? :cool:

I've been playing D&D computer games since DOS (Stone Prophet, Menzoberranzan, and Strahd's Possession rock!). And I think it's a damn shame that this true fan has sit and wait years to get a new game while some greedy business execs squabble over a contract.

Pour

First Post
I don't think Bioware will go D&D unless Dragon Age: Sequel turns sour, which I very much doubt it will. They have moved on to their own properties, and good for them, frankly. They had a great run with D&D and set a bar I can only hope will one day be met and surpassed. And in turn that excellent work took their company to the next level.

That's part of the sell for newer companies, I think, the way in which D&D instantly draws attention to a game, and, if they do right, supports and advances a business more than most Russian fiction (though how sick would a Kafka's The Metamorphosis game be!).

We could go back and forth on why or why not 4e isn't cut out for games, but I think we all want a D&D game, more than one even. So good or bad, make the games, and learn from them, build on them and continue. There are a number of great, capable companies who would leap at the licenses.

What I'm curious about is why all of this suddenly hits the fan now. Is it because Atari is trying to make a game, or is it because Hasbro is now interested in producing more games?

Derren

Hero
Advantages of 4e for online world are:

Name/Brand recognition.
Per developed worlds.
A large PC game fan base.
A fully developed combat system start with.
Few if any very difficult spells to program.

1. Not that much recognized in the VG industry and certainly not a hype brand.
2. Which got changed heavily in 4E, so are practically unknown to the VG community
3. No. Neverwinter Nights and Baldurs Gate has a fanbase. Not D&D. Using those names with 4E will rather irritate the fans as the system is different from teh previous games.
4. Which is a con, especially as it is not very good for semi real time combat. Turn based doesn't sell.
5. Not really an andvantage as when inventing your own system you can gurantee that too. And many "spells" are hard to code (interrupts, pushes, etc.)

And you are vastly overestimating the importance of D&D players in the video game industry.

Mad Mac

First Post
You and a handful of other people. Not nearly enough to break even for a high quality RPG, including license costs to WotC/Hasbro.

That's really overstating the situation. There are a metric ton of successful turn based console and handheld games. Not as many on the PC, granted, but it's a popular area for smaller developers and tend to get good reviews.

It's really more a symptom of everyone wanting to make the next WoW that is stiffling PC RPG's at the moment.

It's not like anyone is limited to making just one D&D game either. They can do both. A 4th edition realtime system isn't inherently more unworkable than trying to code spells for earlier editions was.

2. Which got changed heavily in 4E, so are practically unknown to the VG community

Because clearly no one who played Baldurs Gate or NWN is interested in or playing 4th edition. Or were so into the setting lore that they're really going to notice the differences.

Last edited:

Garmorn

Explorer
3. No. Neverwinter Nights and Baldurs Gate has a fanbase. Not D&D. Using those names with 4E will rather irritate the fans as the system is different from teh previous games.
4. Which is a con, especially as it is not very good for semi real time combat. Turn based doesn't sell.
5. Not really an andvantage as when inventing your own system you can gurantee that too. And many "spells" are hard to code (interrupts, pushes, etc.)

And you are vastly overestimating the importance of D&D players in the video game industry.

I did not say they where great con's just cons.
All of my CRPG friends would at least take a close look if it was D&D, but for the rest I will bend your superior knowlage (I will admit I have not really like CRPG's since Azurebonds.

Remove ads