• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D vs. Modern

Aesmael

Explorer
Just a quick question about whether these could be considered balanced against each other. If, for example, someone wanted characters created from both working together, or characters from one facing foes from the other. My impression (an impression formed without experience) is that they are more or less equal, except that Modern/Future characters have less access to casting ability.

If it matters/you have a choice, compare with 3.5

Victim

First Post
Well, alot of it will depend on the surrounding ruleset. For example, if DnD characters use the 50 point MDT while modern ones use their Con, then DnD characters will have an advantage. Same things for defense bonuses and the like - if modern characters can have a full power set of defensive items and buffs, then their AC will go through the roof.

I'd probably say that DnD spellcasters are easily more powerful than their modern counterparts, the others are closer.

Timeboxer

Explorer
I have to admit that the lower saves for D20 Modern characters worry me. Notice that D20 Modern has fewer spells but a lot more attacking, hence, I think, the Defense Bonus but lowered Saving Throws.

You may be interested in Classically Modern, though, which sort of converts D&D to D20 Modern.

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
I think that the characters would work out ok so long as they both used the same ruleset. In otherwords, if everyone was using the D&D ruleset, then it should be ok. This would require "translating" the modern folks over (losing class DEF etc.).

If everyone keeps their native ruleset though, then those rules are going to clash I would think (as in the example of the massive damage save being wildly dissimilar).

Psion

Adventurer
They are built on different assumptions, and that can be a problem. For example, D20 modern doesn't assume you get a lot of AC bonus from gear, so hands out defense bonuses by class.

The Second World Sourcebook has some well thought out methods for bridging the gap. I ran a game of it for a while and it worked out fairly well with characters from either side.

They don't work well together. The Modern characters usually start off more powerful but after only three or so levels the DnD characters will dominate. This is especially true for spellcasters.

Furthermore, it's very hard to hand out magic items to DnD characters and yet not to the Modern characters, unless they all are RPing magic-haters or something like that. Giving magic items to Modern characters can cause problems, especially when it comes to Defense/AC.

Given a choice, I'd go with the Modern characters even though they'll quickly end up weaker. Characters who actually learn to defend themselves have an appeal to me.

Sebastian Francis

First Post
Christopher Lambert said:
They don't work well together. The Modern characters usually start off more powerful but after only three or so levels the DnD characters will dominate. This is especially true for spellcasters.

And not only that, but the 50-point MDT threshold for D&D characters ensures that even if a Modern character unloads with an AK-47, the D&D characters will just soak the damage and laugh, before burning the Modern putz to a crisp with a fireball.

Psion

Adventurer
I see the MDT thing as a world/campaign trait, not a character trait. I would not assume that they operate under different rules side by side in the same campaign.

Christopher Lambert said:
I don´t think the Modern characters start more powerful - maybe thanks to the Action Points, it might seem true. But the advantage of most D&D characters is their "front-loaded-ness". The Fighter gets all Armor and Shield Profiency feats and the profiency with all martial (archaic for D20 Modern) weapons, which is quite a boost. (And in addition, he as a better HD than a Strong Hero)

Aesmael

Explorer
Will take a look at that classically modern thing. The site says it will be updated in a few days.

I think I would agree about the MDT being a campaign trait. It makes sense to me to adjust it to the foes, since that is what the enemies have been designed to attack.

Does it seem that the high ac of Modern characters offsets the low saves, or is one more of a vulnerability/advantage than the other?
Agree with Mustrum_Ridcully. The test characters I statted up gave the impression of being highly capable individuals, yet also lacking in the armour/shields department.

Reason for the curiosity? Inspired by the Doomd20 thread. Low saving throws sounds like a big problem with all the special abilities demons get.

Remove ads