• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D vs Runequest?

root.tar

First Post
Has anybody tested the new Mongoose Version of Runequest?

How is it compared to D&D? Could it be a nice alternation?

I know the old Runequest version, there are no classes and
combat rules are too easy.

Does anybody like the new rules or even found some considerable advantages?

papakee

First Post
I've not tried it, but have been tinkering with the idea. The original Runequest was built on top of Chaosium's Basic Role-Playing system. It has some concepts I really like. The characters are really customizable and advancement is very logical (for skills used in a session, at the end of the night roll against it. If you fail the skill, you get to increase that skill by x points). It's also rather deadly. With hit locations and single blow kills even for 'experienced' characters. I'm not a big fan of the setting. It has sentient ducks after all (why not squirrels or racoons). That being said, I'm not sure all the changes Mongoose has done to Runequest. I'd like to try it with my D&D group and see how it plays out.

Imaro

Legend
papakee said:
I've not tried it, but have been tinkering with the idea. The original Runequest was built on top of Chaosium's Basic Role-Playing system. It has some concepts I really like. The characters are really customizable and advancement is very logical (for skills used in a session, at the end of the night roll against it. If you fail the skill, you get to increase that skill by x points). It's also rather deadly. With hit locations and single blow kills even for 'experienced' characters. I'm not a big fan of the setting. It has sentient ducks after all (why not squirrels or racoons). That being said, I'm not sure all the changes Mongoose has done to Runequest. I'd like to try it with my D&D group and see how it plays out.

Hey, just wanted to let you know that there's a Lankhmar setting, as well as a Hawkmoon and Stormbringer setting for the Runequest rules. Lankhmar is an add-on book, and Hawkmoon has rules and setting in one book. The Stormbringer book releases this month and will be stand alone as well.

robberbaron

First Post
Looks similar to original RQ but it's not the same.

The Original was the best.

Comparing it with D&D: If you want to buy a single slim book that gives you pretty much all the information you need to run and play in a game, original RQ is your game.
Add Cults of Prax and Cults of Terror (if you want REALLY bad guys) and you can keep it going for years.

RQ Pros: No splatbooks. No classes. No alignments beyond Chaos/non-Chaos. Everybody has the option of doing anything. The original book contains sufficient info for a campaign.
RQ Cons: Getting hold of the original books.

Haven't tried Lankhmar but played the original Stormbringer and it had definite broken bits, specifically, summoning demons. Enjoyable, though.

RFisher

Explorer
My impression was that the difference between the old RQ & MRQ aren't so great as to really have an impact on any RQ v. D&D comparison.

Of course, you could just check out the Runic SRD, right?

The advice I got was to get Elric or Stormbringer 5 for a first, fairly-generic-fantasy BRP game rather than MRQ.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
MrFilthyIke said:
Even though I am a serious gamer, I love those stupid ducks.

I cannot put into words why. I just do. :)
The ducks are a flavor of awesome that transcends games and time. Along with broo and Gloranthan trolls, they are a classic of the genre.

buzz

Adventurer
root.tar said:
How is it compared to D&D?
You can view the Mongoose RQ SRD and decide for yourself. Don't forget to grab the RQ Player's Update, which fixes a number of problems with the rules (and is not open content yet).

IMO (I was a playtester for MRQ, before the playtest got shut down), MRQ isn't worth the bother. It was nominated for an Origins Award, though, and seems to have a growing fanbase.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
IMO Runequest isn't a bad RPG but D&D is far superior in pulling off heroic fantasy. If you want a grittier and more realistic RPG than you might prefer Runequest. Its all a matter of what you prefer.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads