• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

'D&D' with True20 -- thoughts?

Akrasia

Procrastinator
I'm presently planning on using True20 for a 'D&D-ish' campaign. We've had one session so far, using some PCs that I made ahead of time, and the free 'Death in Freeport' True20 adventure available from the GR site. It went well, and I think that I really dig the system (although, unfortunately, it looks like it will be a few weeks before we can play again, as I'm insanely busy with work for the next 2-3 weeks).

That session, though, prompted me to wonder what aspects of True20 I should keep in mind, and plan for, when running a longer-term 'D&D-ish' campaign...

I'm happy to reduce (massively!) the number of magic items in the campaign. True20 is not dependent on them, so I can retain them as truly unique, rare items, rather than mandatory 'class-balancers'.

The magic system is also quite different in True20, and I much prefer it in terms of overall style and power level. There's no 'divine/arcane' split -- another good thing, IMO -- but that raises the question of what to do with the typical divide between 'wizards' and 'clerics' found in most D&D material. (I've always loathed 3e 'sorcerers', and so am happy to eliminate CHA-based casters entirely, treating any 'sorcerers' simply as wizards.)

My initial thought is to maintain that there is simply one type of magic: all adepts are INT-based 'mages' (WIS remains important for casters, as using powers is fatigue-causing, which requires a WILL save to avoid). The only difference between 'clerics' and 'wizards' (aside from the kinds of powers they choose) will be that the former are associated with hierchical religious organisations, whereas the latter are not. (Another possibility would be to keep the divine/arcane split, make divine casters WIS-based, and relegate all other differences to the choice of powers.)

The combat system in True20 can be more lethal for PCs than bog-standard D&D combat (any edition). I'm not sure how to compensate for this. Conviction helps, obviously, so perhaps I should simply consider giving a bonus 1-2 points of conviction? (I already plan on giving PCs bonus conviction equal to 1/2 CHA, in order to make CHA less of a dump stat.)

I've scrapped the True20 wealth system (simply using standard 'gold pieces' and D&D costs instead).

Any thoughts on this? Anything else I should keep in mind when using True20 for a 'D&D-ish' campaign?

Oh yeah, I should mention that I'm thinking about using either a 'homebrew' setting (previously used for D&D 3e and C&C) or adapting the forthcoming Goodman Games' setting (DCC35: The Known Realms) for the campaign. I also plan on adapting a number of D&D-based modules (including some more Freeport stuff) to True20 (which should be quite easy).

Thanks!

Nomad4life

First Post
I ran The Sunless Citadel in True20 a while back. Although I am gobsmacked on a daily basis over what an amazing improvement True20 is over the standard D20 system, I do recall running into a couple of “rapids” while running a converted D&D module in actual play. Alas, I don’t have my notes from that session with me, so I can’t remember the specifics… But I do remember there was some contention over “leveling” (as in, when and how often to level up the characters during the running of that module.) I also remember there was one particular “big bad guy” encounter that was supposed to be pretty tough, but one of the PC’s managed to scout ahead and kill him with one stealthy arrow shot before it was ever even aware the characters were there- cool, but anti-climatic. (I have since learned to give some “key” opponents conviction points; simply not making them “minions” just isn’t enough sometimes.) Oh, and looking back, I wish I had converted the traps differently.

But overall, everything worked well and everyone had fun. I think that one of the key elements for running a successful “D&D” type campaign with True20 is, as you have done, scrapping the wealth system and using good ol’ coins. Sure, the wealth system may be easier to deal with on paper… But there’s just something unsatisfying about finding “+1 loot.” Am I right?

My best advice for converting modules is this: don’t get hung up on getting NPC stats “just right.” In actual play, a point here and a missing feat there doesn’t make that much of a difference- It’s more important to just keep things moving.

Nyaricus

First Post
I have True20, although I've yet to run a game in it (me and my players actually prefer more crunch :cool: but I still like T20).

For spellcasters, the best choice is to simply use a bunch of fluff to make spellcasters seem different, even if they are, in fact, the same.

Another way would be to make Will saves Charisma base, and relegate Mages to Intelligence-based casting and Priests to Wisdom-based casting. This makes the two classes diverse.

cheers,
--N

TableSage

First Post
One thing that I have learned while running an Age of Worms True20 game is that Wisdom for a spellcasting attribute is kinda wrong. It adds to both the DC of spells and it gives a bonus to the spell fatigue checks. If I could change things I would limit spellcasters to picking either Intelligence or Charisma.
But if you divide the spells into divine versus arcane this might not be as much of an issue for you. I can't really change that oversight since the game has been running for close to a year now. Ah, well.

Discarding the wealth system *cheers*.

Most of the combat encounters I run have a handful of minions and then a boss or two that use full health. For the BBEG use full Conviction for its level.

My players and I have noticed that Conviction is almost the equivalent to hit points. I also reduced the movement penalties for using Extra Effort in an attempt to get the players to use it more often and not rely on Conviction so much. It didn't work, but the monsters use it to good effect.

Turanil

First Post
Akrasia said:
Anything else I should keep in mind when using True20 for a 'D&D-ish' campaign?
Well, True20 Fantasy Paths by Ronin Arts, is a PDF detailing how to re-create D&D archetypes (clerics, paladins, rogues, etc.) with True20, plus a slew of ready-to-use NPCs stat-blocks done after these templates. IMO: extremely useful to run a D&D campaign using True20...

Terwox

First Post
I sure did scrap the wealth system too.

I'd recommend that if CHA is not a caster stat at all (it is for some casters in my world) I'd just give a flat modifier to conviction based on CHA (making dumping it painful, as a negative modifier.)

My players haven't used conviction too much so far, though, although I haven't thrown opponents with conviction against them either...

And yes, having magic items be rare and powerful without worrying about "how much GP should this be out of their 36k gold they should have" is very refreshing, and definitely helped me work on items being unique and interesting instead of simply balanced.

Nomad4life

First Post
Terwox said:
And yes, having magic items be rare and powerful without worrying about "how much GP should this be out of their 36k gold they should have" is very refreshing, and definitely helped me work on items being unique and interesting instead of simply balanced.

That has been my experience as well. Quite nice.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Kunimatyu said:
Just split the powers between arcane and divine, based on D&D conventions.

Thanks for the suggestion, but after some reflection on the matter, I think that I'll stick with my 'one type of magic' idea. There's just 'magic', and you need Intelligence to master it (namely, learning to recite the proper words of power). I'm reluctant to use Wisdom as the stat on which powers are based, as that would encourage adepts to max out Wisdom (given that it is also important for fatigue saves).

I've always found the divine/arcane split in D&D somewhat irritating, and so feel fine with eliminating it. 'Clerics' are simply adepts who train with particular religious organisations. The powers that they focus on will depend on the focus of their church/faith (e.g. a church devoted to a 'God of Knowledge' will train its priests in different powers than a church devoted to a 'Fire God').

One consequence of this is that dieties will have a less direct presence in the affairs of the world, as they will not be regularly granting spells. That makes them somewhat more mysterious, and their interventions -- when they do occur -- significantly more noteworthy and awe-inspiring. This is a good thing, IMO.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads