• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC D&D's Best Year Ever - But Hasbro's Goal Is For D&D e-Sports

We frequently get told that Dungeons & Dragons is having it's best year ever, which is awesome news for our hobby. Hasbro's Chairman, Brian Goldner, reiterated this to CNBC in an interview. But Goldner raised a new "e-sports" dimension to D&D's future growth.

We frequently get told that Dungeons & Dragons is having it's best year ever, which is awesome news for our hobby. Hasbro's Chairman, Brian Goldner, reiterated this to CNBC in an interview. But Goldner raised a new "e-sports" dimension to D&D's future growth.

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 16.22.18.png

He talks about the Magic: the Gathering online "Arena" which had more than a million beta signups. But then he goes on to talk about D&D. CNBC says "... Hasbro's goal over time will be to build fantasy games like "Dungeons & Dragons" into esports properties "ripe for esports competition" as consumers increasingly choose digital gaming over standard board games."

What that means, exactly, I'm not sure. I'm not 100% sold that the article interpreted his comments correctly. Certainly card games could be imagined as e-sports, and I'm sure some kind of competitive D&D spin-off could be imagined, too, though what form that would take is anybody's guess. Some kind of PvP battle arena? D&D isn't currently viewed as a competitive game, and this could refer to other games based off the properties rather than bringing the tabletop RPG itself to e-sports. However, we shouldn't forget that D&D has had plenty of competitive tournament play at conventions over the years, so this isn't as surprising a move as one might think.

My guess - if this refers to D&D - is that this doesn't affect the tabletop RPG, but is about creating brand new online competitive games based on IP like the Forgotten Realms (although referred to as simply "Dungeons & Dragons"). But your guess is as good as mine!

You can watch the full interview over at CNBC.

The interviewer comments that he thought Dungeons & Dragons was a "so-so brand", and was surprised that it was called out in Hasbro's earnings report.

"We're also building a suite of digital games around Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: the Gathering. Our Magic Arena product is underway in a closed beta, we've had more than a million people sign up, and we're very excited about launching that later this year. So you'll be able to play Magic: the Gathering or Dungeons & Dragons on a mobile device or online as well as face-to-face."

Goldner goes on to say:

"Well, once you build this mobile game, we're also seeing that just with the analogue game, people are watching us on e-sports, we have about a million viewers a month watching a Magic: the Gathering game, and people watching Dungeons & Dragons on Twitch, and so we think over time we build this to be more of an e-sports property, it's a very immersive game, and it's global and ripe for e-sports competition."

It'm not clear whether he's referring to D&D as e-sports, or whether he means M:tG as e-sports and D&D on Twitch.

Competitive D&D play, such as the RPGA's D&D Open Championship which began in 1977, and which became the D&D Championship Series in 2008 (it ended in 2013) involved teams of players competing to score points in adventure modules. WotC brought it back for D&D 5th edition at Origins Game Fair in 2016.

Our own Mike Tresca talks more about D&D competitive play's history in his article Could D&D Ever Have an eSport? "Thanks to its wargaming roots, tournament play was well-established by the time D&D came along. Tournaments were associated with wargaming conventions. The first large-scale D&D tournament took place at Origins in Baltimore, MD on July 25-27. An estimated 1,500 attended, with 120 participating in the D&D tournament."

And one should not forget NASCRAG, the National Society of Crazed Gamers, which ran D&D tournaments from 1980-2011, before moving to Pathfinder instead.

NOTE - for some people if you're viewing this from the news article, something wonky has happened to the comments, and only the first 12 comments are currently showing. If this applies to you, and you want to read the comments, head to the thread here.

djlatbu

Explorer
Earlier in the interview, before e-sports were mentioned, Goldner said that he believed that D&D was so successful right now because it's an intimate, face-to-face experience.

So he knows that it's doing well because of things that e-sports run counter to.

That makes me pretty sure he misspoke and that he meant that they're going to try to make Arena into an e-sport, as others have said. Or maybe he just thinks of e-sports as spectator games? I dunno.

But folks should calm down.

Why calm down when you can panic and throw out wild conspiracy theories...

Everyone confuses the TT RPG game with the IP (i.e. settings/characters/etc). Besides Mtg, he could also be referring to a new VG with existing IP or something like a mod to "Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms" for PvP. I personally would be stoked if there was a Wotc hero shooter or a battle arena with all of Wotc's IP. I mean it's not like anyone complained when baldur's gate came out in the 90's...

Last edited by a moderator:

djlatbu

Explorer
Earlier in the interview, before e-sports were mentioned, Goldner said that he believed that D&D was so successful right now because it's an intimate, face-to-face experience.

So he knows that it's doing well because of things that e-sports run counter to.

That makes me pretty sure he misspoke and that he meant that they're going to try to make Arena into an e-sport, as others have said. Or maybe he just thinks of e-sports as spectator games? I dunno.

But folks should calm down.

Why calm down when you can panic and throw out wild conspiracy theories...

Everyone confuses the TT RPG game with the IP (i.e. settings/characters/etc). Besides Mtg, he could also be referring to a new VG with existing IP or something like a mod to "Idle Champions of the Forgotten Realms" for PvP. I personally would be stoked if there was a Wotc hero shooter or a battle arena with all of Wotc's IP. I mean it's not like anyone complained when baldur's gate came out in the 90's...

After reading the article and then reading the comments about it, it is sad to see that EN World has become infected with the dreaded internet disease "Read just the headline, then jump straight to the comment section to bitch, whine and complain."

Mirtek

Hero
Also blockchain. They aim to combine D&D with blockchain. Don't ask me how, but they absolutely have to if they want to increase the value and profits of the brand ;)

Schmoe

Adventurer
Watching the full interview, I really don't think that he was alluding to D&D as an e-sport. The context was the MtG Arena app on mobile, and I interpreted his comments to be primarily related to MtG moving into an e-sport model. MtG is already very competitive, and I could certainly see this as a logical expansion for the brand. He seemed to bring D&D into the discussion only as a way to reinforce the popularity of watching tabletop games online, which they see as an indication that the MtG Arena product will be very successful.

At any rate, while it's always fun to make fun of CEOs and such, I actually came away from the interview feeling like he was comfortable talking about each of the brands and why the fans liked them. I feel slightly better about Hasbro's stewardship of D&D after watching the interview than I did before.

guachi

Hero
I'm not fond of watching people play D&D but it's very well suited to being watched. D&D is, at its heart, a social game so what better game to take advantage of social media?

I'll be charitable and assume the executive is taking about expanding and monetizing watching D&D as a streaming property. I'm ok with that.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I think it would work and I know I would consume it. I DM your typical cooperative and narrative games for the most part. But I remember fondly tournament games at Gen Con in the 80s.

More recently I enjoyed the battle-royale version of D&D that the Acquisition Incorporated guys put on at PAX

Not long before that, I enjoyed the meatgrinder game Chris Perkins DM'd on Stream of Annihilation.

Of course, these were live games, so I don't think they count as e-sports. A true e-sport game would just be a D&D themed competitive video game, that perhaps used some mechanics based on the D&D game system. How does that affect my table play? It doesn't. I could just ignore it like I do Forte Night and League of Legends.

But I would LOVE to have a new rulebook release for competitive play. It could be fun. But at the same time, it would be a greater threat to traditional D&D, especially if it gets popular. Or, perhaps, it will bring many more people to the game and to local game stores, and perhaps a good number of them would take interest in traditional D&D and other TTRPGs. It could be a shot in the arm for our FLGS and get more kids away from the computer and game consoles and sitting at a table with other people.

So, while I don't think they are seriously talking about D&D as an e-sport, I don't think it is that crazy of an idea, it likely won't affect you if you don't like it, and if it takes off would be a good thing for the hobby.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Apparently, you've never had an evil DM.

Oh, I've had a few.

D&D e-sports won't be player vs. player. They'll be party vs. DM. There will be two modes: story and battle. The DMs will role-play the players into each battle, and then become adversarial once combat starts.

Eh. Given no constraints any DM worth his or her salt could kill any party of PCs dead in seconds if they're playing by the "normal" rules of D&D. Hell sometimes the hard part is keeping them alive despite their choices long enough to get to the interesting bits of the scenario.

I suppose it might be competitive if the DM were given a scenario that they weren't allowed to change and if corner cases were adjudicated by another DM who was truly neutral and not trying to kill the PCs.

Otherwise it's just a slaughter. Or so dependent on the DM's attitude towards a particular group of players that it wouldn't be much fun to watch (for me anyway).

Remove ads

Remove ads