• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General D&D's Utter Dominance Is Good or Bad Because...

Oofta

Legend
I think for a not-insignificant amount of players in the sphere, that aren't aware of forum discussions and GM-talk, that's all they'll ever know, and it's hard to wean folks off of sugary sweets and eat their vegetables. The vegetables are tough, chewy, and not always the most enjoyable when plain, but with flavor, seasonings, and the proper chef, can be amazing.

Amazing for you perhaps. Me? I'll take my once a month comfort food because life is chewy enough.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Because there are other forums specifically dedicated to older editions of D&D and TTRPGs in general, this is the forum for the current edition of D&D. While the majority of the direction of D&D is up to WOTC it also includes 3PP that supports the current edition of D&D.
Well, you know I'm a big supporter of 3pp. And we really don't need WotC anymore to play 5e, so I'm going to continue talking about what I like to play, thank you very much, and that largely excludes official WotC products.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The fact that they don't like CoC as much as D&D, is not the fault of D&D.
The fact that they've never heard of Call of Cthulhu, or any other game that's not WotC 5e, is the result of WotC's market dominance IMO. And that's a down side, to me anyway, of WotC's status.

Oofta

Legend
And there's nothing wrong with that! I just want a variety of playstyles well-supported in the core rules.

No game can be for everyone, people have different preferences. I just disagree with the constant pronouncements that other games are somehow more pure, healthier and better for you than D&D. We all have preferences and for me what I get out of D&D is more about the gameplay and interactions than the game rules.

Swanosaurus

Adventurer
I'll admit I have no idea what goes on in those other forums, the complaint struck me as people complaining that we talk about D&D on a D&D forum.
Well, I'm not complaining about that - but if you start a thread about the goods and the bads of D&D dominance, it is kind of logical that the a lot of people posting about the bads are the ones coming over from other parts of the forums. Otherwise, the thread would have to be called: "Let's talk about how awesome it is that D&D is the dominant RPG in the world!"

I'm fine with talking D&D in and out of D&D specific forums, and I think it's perfectly fine that in general RPG forums, most of the talk, most of the examples, most of everything will be about D&D. But occassionally, it can be annoying that people don't even stop to think that D&D is not necessarily a familiar base-line to every gamer in the world.

Oofta

Legend
The fact that they've never heard of Call of Cthulhu, or any other game that's not WotC 5e, is the result of WotC's market dominance IMO. And that's a down side, to me anyway, of WotC's status.
The person in question is playing CoC and they prefer their D&D character. That's not a problem with D&D.

Remove ads