d10 for Initiative

Bront

The man with the probe
Kahuna Burger said:
since you generally only roll once for intiative per combat (as opposed to attack rolls) it can feel like the randomization factor is too much at d20. Your players would probably like their high init builds to be more useful, and I can't say I blame them. I'd go for it and remember to add inproved initiative to any rogue archers I built. ;)
Exactly. This gives a nod to speed guys and people with the Improved Initiative Feat. a 40% bonus is a biggier issue than a 20% bonus. It effectlively removes some of the randomness out of Initiative.

Is it good? I don't see how it's bad. It makes combat a bit more tacitcal, and a bit less random, though not too much. Beyond that, it shouldn't have too much more of an effect.

hong

WotC's bitch
Depending on the level that you're at, this may give high-init people too MUCH of a benefit. As it is, big-hitter types like archers, rogues and wizards already have a good chance of one-shotting the opposition.

It makes things less random. Since the PCs normally are going to win unless something extreme happens, reduced ranodmness tilts things further in their favor. However, it's a small tilt in this case, and I have done it.

I'm also running a game right now where Improved Initiative simply lets you go first unless someone else also has the feat. It actually hasn't made the feat overwhelmingly popular, somwhat to my surprise.

Also, consider how long fights tend to run in your campaign. The longer the fight, the less important who goes first really is.

Remove ads