• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20/AD&D campaign Ideas

KenSeg

First Post
I am thinking of running a D20/GW/Appocolypse/AD&D crossbred campaign that has been knocking around in my head for a bit.

The premise is that as of a certain mystical conjuncture, our world and that of the ancient legends come back together, bringing with it all of the creatures of myth. In addition, the inherent conflict between science and magic background for the two dimensions cause functioning power sources to begin to fail, nuclear plants, electric plants, etc. High level magic has troubles as well. Simple kinetic machines, guns, etc. continue to operate but the plants that created them and all of the interconnecting items no longer run.

I am going to start them off as a group of friends gaming around the table, just as we will be doing. Engrossed in their game and somewhat isolated out in the countryside, they miss the first hour or so of the ensuing chaos until it comes breaking down the front door and eating the dog. How will these people survive the initial chaos? How will government, religions, etc. survive without the technilogical wonders we have all come to depend upon while at the same time under assualt from mythical creatures, undead, changes landscape, etc.

What do you think? Any ideas to add to the mix?

-KenSeg
Gaming since 1978

Turanil

First Post
KenSeg said:
I am thinking of running a D20/GW/Appocolypse/AD&D crossbred campaign
What is a D20/AD&D crossbreed? :confused:

Mixing d20 Modern rules and D&D rules could be very interesting. There once was a great (and I say **GREAT**) homebrew campaign setting on the Internet. It was called the "Amethyst" campaign setting. Basically, the idea was:

1) Earth had been devastated almost completely in a nuclear war (or something similar). However, many people were put into containers of suspended animation and left there for eternity.

2) Because of some particular event a gate to the positive material plane was opened on Earth, and its energies poured onto the planet. When it reached the containers, it awakened the people in them; however the magic of the positive energy was so strong that it created a new reality based on their dreams and memories. So, a world of fantasy and a world of sci-fi did appear.

3) Now the world is one of medieval fantasy on Earth, with magic and mythical creatures. However, some people resist magic and have developped "bastions" of technology and science where magic is banned. These "bastions" are a few cities: Paris, New-York, London, etc. (often with new names). So in this world technology is incompatible with magic: one must choose his allegiance (and thus the classes available to him: D&D or d20M).

This great setting is unfortunately unavailable anymore. I have it on my hard-drive, but it is 17 mb, so difficult to send it to you... :\

yennico

First Post
Turanil said:
Mixing d20 Modern rules and D&D rules could be very interesting. There once was a great (and I say **GREAT**) homebrew campaign setting on the Internet. It was called the "Amethyst" campaign setting.
Do you mean this setting?

Turanil said:
Basically, the idea was:

1) Earth had been devastated almost completely in a nuclear war (or something similar). However, many people were put into containers of suspended animation and left there for eternity.

2) Because of some particular event a gate to the positive material plane was opened on Earth, and its energies poured onto the planet. When it reached the containers, it awakened the people in them; however the magic of the positive energy was so strong that it created a new reality based on their dreams and memories. So, a world of fantasy and a world of sci-fi did appear.

3) Now the world is one of medieval fantasy on Earth, with magic and mythical creatures. However, some people resist magic and have developped "bastions" of technology and science where magic is banned. These "bastions" are a few cities: Paris, New-York, London, etc. (often with new names). So in this world technology is incompatible with magic: one must choose his allegiance (and thus the classes available to him: D&D or d20M).
Your description sounds like the Rifts RPG from Palladium.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Yeah, that was a cool setting. Did the guy ever get permission to use all that art? I recall that there was something of a minor stink about that here a while back.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads