• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Adventure Path: Project Javelin

Falkus said:
Because resource raiding, parallel dimensional Nazis don't have the same political baggage?

This concept seems to have background in Sliders (past TV show) and the DS9 episode where Sisko and crew went into a Nazi-controlled dimension.

I have to applaude their decision to stay away from any fantasy aspect. It means staying away from Urban Arcana and therefore not becoming Buffy-esque. And they are staying away from the cold war aspect that would make it similar to Spycraft.

But there are plenty of lines that can be explored in Modern times. But then, I like CSI and NCIS type campaigns. A mix of "Private Eye" and "Cops & Robbers".

Regardless, I am happy they are supporting d20 Modern and encourage the group to continue on. It seems to be protrayed similar to the Cauldron adventure path that Dungeon ran (and Paizo turned into a hardback).

ajanders

Explorer
uraniumdragon said:
I have to say I am saddened that WotC has picked an Alternate History setting as their first/latest "upcoming adventure path series". This is d20 Future, not d20 Modern. With the world being as screwed up as it is today, why go with Alternate History and dimensional travel? It just sounds like a bad Star Trek or Stargate epsiode.

With all the D20 modern adventures clogging the works out there, why use F/X at all?
D20 modern lends itself to -- even if you want to avoid "real world baggage" -- wonderful spy games (I want the Orion Foundation back, dagnabbit!), decent military/fantastic games (G.I. Joe), wuxia games -- and if you got the right equipment supplemental, "Golden Age" superhero games. (You can't play Superman, but you can play the Shadow.)

If you don't mind offending people, you can have LeCarre and Tom Clancy style adventures in Baghdad, Brussels, or Buffalo.

Why bother with Supernazi's from Dimension X?

The prospect of a world full of Nazis leaves my inner Munchkin teary-eyed and whispering "So...many...as**'s to kick...", but wouldn't it be easier just to stick with this world at this time?

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I guess they went with that because there's two things the average joe doesn't mind shooting holes in.

Undead and Nazis.

And if there's any Zombie Nazis, well, fetch me muh shotgun, boy.

--fje

2WS-Steve

First Post
Falkus said:
Because if they made a realistic real world campaign, there'd be people like me saying: 'Where are all the dimensional travelling Nazis?' :)

Dimension travelling cybernetic occultist Nazis, no less!!

The campaign guide looks very cool. Looking forward to the adventure path.

Stormborn

Explorer
While I understand that some people are unhappy that there isn't more "realistic" stuff coming from WotC for d20 M I personally couldn't be more thrilled with a Alternate History/Universe Invasion story line. I love alternate histories, and given a quick browse through my local Barnes and Noble I know I am not alone. Coupled with that the above mention of Planetary, and a rather obvious Authority storyline, I was sold. I really think a significant portion of gamers like some element of the fantastic in what they play. I have one player who will not play anything remotely "realistic" - not even low magic modern. He wants some kind of fantastic element, whether it be Super Science or Magic, in his game. If he wants the real world, he says, he can watch the news.

And if you are going to do alternate diminsions there are really only 2 ways to go with your first try: WW2 and the US Civil War. Given the more clear cut morality of WW2, at least in the popular mind (I'm not arguing anything here), its the obvious choice. I wouldn't mind seeing some follow up with other diminsions and other realities. Transdiminsional Imperial Rome (maybe using magic) would be a great variant that would still be accesablie to nonhistory buffs.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
I have to say I am saddened that WotC has picked an Alternate History setting as their first/latest "upcoming adventure path series". This is d20 Future, not d20 Modern. With the world being as screwed up as it is today, why go with Alternate History and dimensional travel? It just sounds like a bad Star Trek or Stargate epsiode.

D20 Future is just an extension of the D20 Modern product line. As such, that material is considered fair game for this campaign.

I think you have more material in the Agents of PSI fiction to run with than this.

First of all, thank you for the kind words about Agents of PSI. Second, the Project Javelin Campaign Primer was originally intended as a document to be used in-house for the designers creating the campaign. Once the thing was assembled, we looked at it and realized that it would be of some utility to the GMs as well. However, I do agree that this first document better serves to fill in the holes in the campaign and provide cohesion rather than trying to lay out a map of how the campaign should unfold from beginning to end. I actually thought they would release the first adventure and the guide simultaneously rather than spreading them out.

uraniumdragon said:
This concept seems to have background in Sliders (past TV show) and the DS9 episode where Sisko and crew went into a Nazi-controlled dimension.

I personally avoided watching Sliders whenever possible. I really didn't like the characters, the villains, or the writing. The idea of dimension hopping is hardly new to science fiction, or unique to Sliders.

I have to applaude their decision to stay away from any fantasy aspect. It means staying away from Urban Arcana and therefore not becoming Buffy-esque. And they are staying away from the cold war aspect that would make it similar to Spycraft.

The fantasy aspect will most likely be a component of some adventures within the campaign, but not a strong one. One of the adventures in particular does not use magic in any way, shape, or form, but the various writers working on this project are free to include magic in their adventures if they wish.

Regardless, I am happy they are supporting d20 Modern and encourage the group to continue on. It seems to be protrayed similar to the Cauldron adventure path that Dungeon ran (and Paizo turned into a hardback).

I agree, more D20 Modern support would be nice, and we're doing what we can to give you something useful for it. :D

Okay, enough b****ing from me

Whisperfoot said:
I agree, more D20 Modern support would be nice, and we're doing what we can to give you something useful for it. :D

Can you tell us any more about the setting or the scenarios? I understand that the scenarios will be written by various people. However, I figure you have some guidelines for them to go by, or was the document linked from the WotC page the guidelines?

Will the scenarios be PCs against the government/Nazis, or will there be an established "bad guy" or organization to go up against?

More tidbits, please!

Remove ads