• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 CoC- Academic feats?

One thing I thought was seriously lacking in D20 Call of Cthulhu were in-genre feats, mostly related to investigation or academia. Stuff like knowing insane numbers of languages, having contacts all over the world, and so forth.

Is there anyplace I could find such feats? Lovecraftian flaws would also be cool.

Bad_English

First Post
Although no help, I second the request.

Please this is a valid point, that I am ashamed I did not even consider, it would give alot of the flavor back to the rules.

Sanity and flaws? Hmmmm interesting, like H. Bogart in the private eye/investigator "Flim Noir" movies; edgy with a past and a little on the crazy side.

Scene:1941 A dark alleyway somewhere in LA. The camera pans down from a veiw of the rooftops and cloudy, moon lit night sky. Dropping to come to eye level of a shadowed doorway with two figures talking quietly yet with emotion.

"Sure thing doll. I can see telling the coppers this now."

Taking a long drag from his cigarette, the slightly built man slides his shaking hands into his pants pockets, trying to hide his fear. Trying to peer into the other eyes, the man looked from under his hat to the trembling slim woman standing before him. Letting out the smoke in a long exhale, he began to speak in a slightly sarcastic tone.

"Look sargent. We were just driving along, it is a nice enough night, with five extra cans filled with gas and enough guns, to kill Hitler and all his cronies. When we stopped off at the friendly Hollywood, Church of the Starry Wisdom, you know... to see whats what. When we get in a gun battle with a bunch crazies tryin to destroy the world. We had to blow up the car to stop the 'Crawling Chaos' from eating our souls and now we decide to turn ourselves in, reeking of gasoline and peices of that damned thing hangin off us!"

His voice rose to a growl at the end and the woman covered her mouth with her hands as she sobbed and wailed into her hands, hands that are clamped tighly over her mouth. Trying to hold back the screams of terror, her streaming eyes squeezed tightly shut against the images seared into her head, once again brought back by his harsh biting words.

The man a pained look flashing over his face angered at himself and his own weakness and guilt at his bitter words. Taking a deep breath, he suddenly slaps her face. Hard.

"Pull yourself together doll."

His stern face softening as a pained expression comes and goes from his face. Taking the shaking woman, who mutters apologies into his suit shoulder, and pulling her closer into, his arms slowly.

"There. There. Doll, hows about you and me heading back to the office and getting cleaned up? I got a bottle in the desk that will erase tonight from you and clean tarnished silver to boot. What do you say kid? Is it a deal?"

As she pulls her face from his shoulder and looks into his eyes, the moon slips out from a cloud and bathes the alley in soft moonlight. In a soft trembling voice she says.

"Sure Sam. Whatever you say."

"That's my girl."

Last edited:

Turanil

First Post
I also have searched the Internet for that kind of stuff and couldn't find anything. Maybe it's time to begin the work ourselves (start a new thread in the houserules section).

Turanil

First Post
Here is an idea of feat off the top of my head (needs a serious rewrite):

NAME: ???

The character is allergic to the supernatural, and when in its vicinity reacts to it badly even if he is unaware of its presence. As such, when the character begins to sneeze uncontrollably, or what not, he knows that some atrocious things are lurking around...

PREREQUISITE: Knowledge Cthulhu-Mythos: 2+ ranks

BENEFIT: The character knows that something supernatural is happeneing in the vicinity (100 yards radius), when he is affected by some peculiar allergy or illness (such as coughing and sneezing uncontrollably). The closer that supernatural thing is, the stronger the allergy. Unfortunately, the character doesn't perceives the source, only knows that "there is something" out there. Furthermore, the allergy-illness is hindering (to be defined by the GM: -1 to all rolls; being noisy thus listener are at +4 to hear the character, etc.)

note: the 2 ranks in Cthulu Mythos aknowledge the fact that the character must already have encountered the supernatural, and be aware of its horror...

Last edited:

Bad_English

First Post
Let me know if you refine it...

Location: Third floor office (Sam's) the flickering of neon stutters through the blinds causing the shadowy and dark office lit by the faint red glow to shift slightly to the buzz of the light.

The slim woman sits on the large leather couch her hands wrapped around a glass tumbler of burbon. Her mascara streaked face looking down as if, finding refuge in the bottom of the glass.

Sam leans against the desk watching her intently, his pose carefully crafted to hide the fear and discomfort he felt.

" I am sorry doll, a man on my budget doesn't keep ice, but this stuff ain't half bad."

His words seemed to fall on closed ears. In a nervous movement he looks to one side and and back to the woman seated silently on the couch. Her hands clenched around the glass of booze as if for desperation like a life-ring thrown a drowning sailor.

Taking a deep breath, he unconsiously nods as if coming to a decision.

"OK I know you are one of those college types a Phd and all, how in the hell did you find about those wack jobs in that church and why in the hell did you pick me?"

Looking up into his intense gaze she licked her lips in a nervous reaction and took a sip of the cheap burbon, all while peering into his eyes. A shudder passed through her and she began to speak.

" Remember the missing persons job, you did for that movie producer a while ago? "

Taking his own glass of burbon off the desk and using it to raise his hat, before draining the large shot of whiskey. He paused and slammed the glass down on the desk.

" Damn it I am better than that! Of course. Your the little chippies sister or aunt, how can I be so slow? I wondered why you seemed so familiar. I just thought it was because all good looking dames seem the same to me."

A fast pained expression slid across her face at the mention of the word 'chippy' and dropped into resignation before she continued.

" The chippy was my sister. "

"Oh look I didn't mean nothing by that..."

"It's ok. This place did that to her, she was such a sweet and innocent girl before she came here."

Taking another sip of the burbon, this time the fire burning down her throat did not make her shudder.

"Any way Clinton sent me her letters to the university, and as Lori was such a bright girl, who could remember entire books at the drop of a hat. She ...She mentioned a name, The Black Pharoh and I looked into it. "

Knitting his brows together he muttered.

"None of them crazies was a Pharoh? Hell all of them were american, I could swear to it. Little blonde haired and blue eyed to be an egyptian, don't you think?"

"No that is just one of his aspects, ahh manifestations if you will." Suddenly she doubles over in pain dropping the glass onto the wooden floor where it splashes looking like blood in the shimmering red neon light. He moved quickly to her side and puts his arm around her.

" Hey whoa there, doll. I should have put water in that rot gut before I gave it to ya."

In pain gritted teeth she turns and looks at Sam and forces the words out.

"You know when I told you I was having female troubles, back there at the car, when that thing came out of the basement. I lied. "

Shock crossed his face all he could do is stammer.

"What?"

" Do you remember, I told you we have to go up the stairs and out of there right now?"

" Ahh ya."

Now suprize and fear showed on his face.

She kept talking.

" I know when they are coming. I can feel it like a hot knife shoving into my spine from my stomach."

His eyes widened.

" Are? Is? No. This ain't right, doll. Tell me it is just female troubles and you are joking? "

From the closed door of the tiny wash room where he had cleaned the two glasses from his desk, just an hour before. A sound, like the long last exhale of air from a dying man, issues loudly from that room. As Sam looked over her now lowered head, he could see pressure from something causing the door and it's frame, start to warp and splinter...

The sound of her screaming voice was like a slap to his face, bringing him to his feet and moving.

Once again the college girl saved his tail by saying the right thing at the right time.

"RUN!!! DAMN IT!!!! RUN!!!"

Here is an idea of feat off the top of my head (needs a serious rewrite):

NAME: ???

The character is allergic to the supernatural, and when in its vicinity reacts to it badly even if he is unaware of its presence. As such, when the character begins to sneeze uncontrollably, or what not, he knows that some atrocious things are lurking around...

PREREQUISITE: Knowledge Cthulhu-Mythos: 2+ ranks

BENEFIT: The character knows that something supernatural is happeneing in the vicinity (100 yards radius), when he is affected by some peculiar allergy or illness (such as coughing and sneezing uncontrollably). The closer that supernatural thing is, the stronger the allergy. Unfortunately, the character doesn't perceives the source, only knows that "there is something" out there. Furthermore, the allergy-illness is hindering (to be defined by the GM: -1 to all rolls; being noisy thus listener are at +4 to hear the character, etc.)

note: the 2 ranks in Cthulu Mythos aknowledge the fact that the character must already have encountered the supernatural, and be aware of its horror...

For a name hows about "Terrors Call" or "Alhazrds whisper"

Hmmm obviously it got my attention. :cool:

Good work.

Last edited:

Bad_English

First Post
Professor Phobos, Turanil...

Professor Phobos, Turanil do you guys have any more ideas?

The concept is great, I just wish I was as rules savy as others were, to bring something more than my flashes of weak creative illuminations to your ideas. I just had the late great Bogart and the (still?) tough yet wonderful Bacall flash into my head.

Sorry about that.

And the idea of the physiological reaction to the presence of a Mythos entity seems highly plausable. Given the psycho/physiological reaction of post traumatic stress (called "Shell Shock", well into the seventies and eighties by laymen.) and the context of the Great War (WW1) and the early setting of World War 2 coupled with H.P. Lovecrafts character developement/flaws.

Having that reaction to a Mythos entity a very solid case for consideration as the basis for a feat or feats, for CoC D20.

Making a resitance to the physiological reaction due to another feat, or keeping the reaction and having an improved feat that enhances the power of detection/awareness, but having the physiological manifestation as fainting.

Many of the heros in Lovecraft's stories had blackouts, a plot devise to reinforce his statement about the human minds in-ability to comprehend the vastness and power of the Mythos Gods and demons.

Turanil

First Post
I suggest you begin a new thread based on this one in the Houserules forum. Add the above feats and ideas, and ask people to either add ideas of feats, actual writings of feats (either new feats, or feats based on ideas given in the thread), or simple comments about the feats written.

A blackout feat could be cool: a guy with already the feat I began to devise (I will name it "Allergy to the Supernatural" until someone comes with a better more enticing name), could faint, and during his coma (duration of 1d100 minutes) get some visions and clues about what is transpiring around. Visions may be cryptic and are a GM discretion. The character must try to focuse his attention on his allergy; when he succeeds (Concentration check?), he unfortunately fall in a faint. So he is hepless and hiw fellow investigators will have to take care of him. But when he awakes, he has some information...

Alhazred

First Post
Chaosium's dual-style CoC (old-school Chaosium/d20 System) provides some good d20 academic feats. The company's Guide to Arkham has an index of new d20 feats and skills, such as Innate Linguist (feat) and Hypnotism (skill). I suggest you check it out. Otherwise, d20 Modern, Stargate and Spycraft are not a bad source for feats (granted, tweaking strongly advised).

Alhazred

First Post
Chaosium's dual-style CoC (old-school Chaosium/d20 System) provides some good d20 academic feats. The company's Guide to Arkham has an appendix with new d20 feats and skills, such as Innate Linguist (feat) and Hypnotism (skill). I suggest you check it out. Otherwise, d20 Modern, Stargate and Spycraft are not a bad source for feats (granted, tweaking strongly advised). Unearthed Arcana provides a list of character traits, including flaws.

Remove ads