• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D20 CoC] Beyond the Mountains of Madness Campaign - Recruiting Alternate Players

The Shaman

First Post
jdeleski, thank you for taking the time to outline your position on the Father Rucker character. While you have addressed a couple of my concerns (such as ECL), I admit that I still have a number of reservations.

The idea of a priest-scientist joining the expedition offers no particular conceptual problems for me – however, all of the characters presented so far have offered impeccable credentials as potential explorers. I believe that Father Rucker should be similarly qualified before being included, which involves more than taking ranks in science skills – it’s developing a curriculum vitae consistent with the other characters that makes his participation plausible. In my opinion, such a character should be a Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, Georges Lemaitre, or (nearest and dearest to my heart) Alberto María de Agostini – as it stands right now, we have Gabriel Van Helsing.

In the same vein, I believe a character’s Mythos knowledge should be similarly integrated into his raison d'être as a credentialed explorer. The news clippings our characters received hinted at a previous expedition that met a mysterious fate – mention of a “different taxonomy” in the extant records of the Miskatonic U. party seems like a good pathway for a Mythos-minded character to use as a nexus with the Starkweather-Moore expedition, for example. In this way it’s possible for a character with limited Mythos knowledge to make a plausible companion to the company of adventurers that Starkweather has assembled, if the character’s other credentials make the grade. So far there hasn’t been a connection between the character’s Mythos knowledge and the expedition offered to explain Father Rucker’s participation. So far everyone else has presented a character who is an explorer first – Dallas4lr has presented a character that is a Mythos investigator first.

I also have reservations about the player group dynamic. It is easy for me to see how the Father Rucker character could come to dominate the limelight through in-game and out-of-game knowledge if he’s not played with respect for the roles of the rest of the characters. In this I’m particularly concerned by Dallas4lr’s responses to the issues raised. So far Dallas4lr has demonstrated a “tin ear,” taking entirely the wrong message from the concerns me and others shared in the OoC thread. Challenged on the concept of a gun-totin’ spell-castin’ priest-scientist, Dallas4lr’s response was to attempt to pick apart the other characters’ mechanics – the fact that his character was not just “different” from the rest, but radically so, and that pieces of Father Rucker’s stats and abilities were not just inconsistent with the others characters, but with the character himself, didn’t seem to come through. For example, Poole’s experience with rifles is 100% consistent with his background of growing up in the West, while Paco’s skill with melee weapons reflects a life spent working with axes and hammers and knives – a scholar-turned-ecclesiastic with firearms skills is an anomaly at best, one not explained adequately by his background (and perhaps owing its origins to player knowledge and metagaming).

Repeated explanations by different players about their concerns with respect to the character elicited an exclamation-point laden response citing “the rules” as sufficient justification for playing the character the way that Dallas4lr feels is appropriate – the post even went so far as to suggest that the rest of us don’t know enough about CoC to play the game ‘correctly’. (Just to clear up that point, our characters will encounter the unknown, go crazy, and die on the ice – not necessarily in that order. Does that sum up CoC pretty well?) What I think Dallas4lr is missing was summed up very neatly by taitzu52 – this adventure is not about chasing an Arkham escapee through a fog-shrouded Massachusetts cemetery or encountering an Old One in the natural history museum at Miskatonic U. I believe this point should be emphasized.

I’m very concerned that this misapprehension of where the other players’ reservations lie will carry over into the game and result in intra-character conflict that isn’t an artifact of roleplaying, but rather a very different set of starting assumptions on the part of the players. I hope that you will consider this in the spirit in which it’s intended, as input to make what has already started off as a very good game that much better.

taitzu52

First Post
Sorry, I don't want this to be a 10 car pile up. I just want to say that unlike The Shaman, I don't fear that folks will hold grudges in game form OOC discussions.

I DO agree that one of the main points of this long, long discourse is that Fra. Rucker was designed for a specific encounter, the supernatural, and to immediately take the spotlight upon that time.

The point of this is not to discourage Dallas from play, nor even to play Fra. Rucker. But we want to let you know that there are certain levels of player knowledge that are transparent even during CharGen. We took a position to disagree with it from the outset.

The Father is great as he stands, if it only weren't for his intro. The Catholic church using it's vast resources to produce a scientific expert, who is still firmly grounded in his beliefs is a wonderful concept. A world class exorcist.....I don't fell like I should be explaining myself any more on the point.

jdeleski

First Post
Continued Discussion RE: Father Rucker

At this time, I ask that everyone (including Dallas) please be patient, and hold off on further postings on this topic, while we work through the creation of Dallas' character, Father Rucker. Any comments (and actually, even Dallas' opening posts) are pure speculation on the final composition of the character until we have finished this piece of work.

I will reiterate a few important comments for emphasis.

jdeleski said:
I will be careful to ensure that the Effective Level of Father Rucker will be similar to the other PC's (i.e. a 4th level CoC character) and I will demand of Dallas that his character be logically drawn up, just as all of you have done.
jdeleski said:
I am putting Dallas' character through a careful review of his background, personality, and abilities to ensure that it all fits together.
jdeleski said:
Father Rucker will have a logical roleplaying reason for coming along and, as you've seen, Father Rucker has much more work to do before Starkweather will consider allowing him on the expedition. I have no intentions of violating the roleplaying aspects of this campaign. Additionally, the Father Rucker character must be played very carefully...

It is fair game for everyone to question how a game is structured so that they can feel that their investment in time will not be wasted, but I need to ask that everyone please suspend their disbelief until we're done (or at least nearly done!). Because Father Rucker's character is so different from all others, and has the potential to throw the game off balance, both Dallas and I are taking great pains to dig into his character at a VERY detailed level. As just one example, we are outlining every exorcism that his character has performed, and accordingly looking at how that impacted his sanity. We will similarly examine all aspects of his character and abilities.

What more can I say? I am asking that everyone allow me a bit of poetic license to allow this character into play and to accept that I will be careful to limit any destabilizing influence on our campaign.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Last edited:

The Shaman

First Post
jdeleski said:
What more can I say? I am asking that everyone allow me a bit of poetic license to allow this character into play and to accept that I will be careful to limit any destabilizing influence on our campaign.
Game on.

Gomez

First Post
taitzu52 said:
Understood. I'll concentrate my efforts on beating up on Gomez.

(He can always SMITE my chatacter in his game.)

Hey wait until you see my character! Talk about a destablizing influence! ;)

jdeleski

First Post
The Shaman said:
(Just to clear up that point, our characters will encounter the unknown, go crazy, and die on the ice – not necessarily in that order. Does that sum up CoC pretty well?)

Shaman, that's an EXCELLENT summary! :cool:

Thanks everyone, for your passion and interest in making this a great campaign! Now, I guess, I have a few in-character posts to respond to...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
jdeleski said:
Ack! I failed my Spot Hidden skill check! Thank you for the correction, Gomez. I'll need to examine how that affects all players, then will come forward with a decision.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Martin is, actually, good to go as I do have ranks in Speak Other Language. Martin, Martin, he's the man-if he can't do it, no one can!

The Shaman

First Post
Dallas4lr said:
Can someone take out 5 minutes to explain what metagaming means, I am totally unware of its meaning or definition.
The following is quoted from a thread on metagaming in CoC at Yog-sothoth.com.
Metagaming is when a player acts on information the character does not have. This could take the form of knowing there's a trap at the end of the hallway when your character doesn't, or creating a character with skills adjusted to fighting the Mythos.

I find the former to be more offensive, because it's basically noncharacter information, but the latter can be quite annoying, because Lovecraft wrote about people who were by and large normal, and not necessarily well-equipped to handle what happens to them. The fact is that the character does not know what they're going to be thrown into. They have no idea that soon they will be shooting at Byakhee or whatever.

And thus, a stockbroker will not have percentiles in Occult unless there's a damn good reason. And even if there is a good reason, there's a difference between making a character's skills in such a way as to make them most effective, and then coming up with a story, and coming up with a story and then adjusting the skills to that story.

Remove ads