• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D20 CoC] Beyond the Mountains of Madness Campaign - Recruiting Alternate Players

jdeleski

First Post
Morpheus said:
No problem. I have 4 ranks in Speak Other Language...2 ranks for English, 1 rank for Spanish and 1 rank for German. French is my native language.
Morpheus,

That sounds just fine. Be sure to adjust the skill points based on whether it's a core skill vs. non-core skill

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks!
Job (the tortured one).

jdeleski

First Post
Adding Intelligence/Wisdom Feats to our Campaign

I have become disenchanted with the feats that are included in the D20 CoC ruleset because, with few exceptions, these feats are mainly combat and athletic-based enhancements as opposed to intelligence or wisdom-based. Certainly some of the best feats to select are, in fact, combat-oriented. Below is a list of feats from the D20 Modern SRD set that reward intelligence/wisdom-based characters and an investigation style of game. I believe that these additions will allow our non-combat oriented characters a wider range of enhancements, and won't force them down the path of improving only their athletic or combat characteristics as they rise in levels, thus providing them with much more realistic options for advancement.

Here is a link to the proposed feats that I've posted in our Rogue's Gallery thread --> Int/Wis Feat Additions

Here is a link to the D20 Modern SRD site --> D20 Modern SRD

By adhering to the published D20 SRD, I believe that these feats are playbalanced and will not destabilize our game. Let me know your thoughts. If anyone has strong reservations against adding these feats, please let me know and I'll either strike certain feats or adjust them, as needed.

Also, if we agree to these feats and you decide that you would like to adjust those feats (or related skills) that you selected to initially develop your character, I'd be open to making such changes provided that it fits with your character's profile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks!
Job (the tortured one).

Last edited:

The Shaman

First Post
Modern roxxorz my boxxorz!!11!!1!1tehwoot!!!!!11!!!1!

;)

The additions are fine with me - I don't plan on making any changes to my character for now, but it's nice to have options.

I agree that too many of the feats in 2d0 CoC are combat-oriented. As a whole I think d20 games generally could use more non-combat, non-magic feats - then again, I like playing skillful characters for the most part, so combat builds don't excite me.

Bobitron

Explorer
I'm a big fan of d20 Modern as well, but there is one obvious issue with the skill-boosting feats you posted. A feat should give a +2 bonus in two skills or a +3 bonus in one skill. By making the modifications you noted, some feats give only a +2 in a single skill.

jdeleski

First Post
Dallas4lr said:
Jdeleski,

Did you forget to add diligence to the new set off feats, or have you decided not to include it.
I added the Diligent feat into the mix. This feat is actually taken from the D&D 3.5 SRD, but still seems like a feat that is reasonable to add.

There is a twist to this: To make this feat worthwhile, I must add the Decipher Script skill (it's included in both the D20 Modern and D&D 3.5 SRD's, but not D20 CoC skillset). This seems reasonable to me to add, and the D20 Modern SRD as well as the D20 D&D 3.5 SRD skillsets include both the Decipher Script skill along with the Speak Languages skill, and therefore I find a precedent for having both skills in our D20 CoC and I'll allow it.

Bobitron said:
I'm a big fan of d20 Modern as well, but there is one obvious issue with the skill-boosting feats you posted. A feat should give a +2 bonus in two skills or a +3 bonus in one skill. By making the modifications you noted, some feats give only a +2 in a single skill.
I agree with your comment, Bobitron, and adjusted the Attentive and Confident feats. By making this same change for the Confident feat, it might make it slightly imbalanced--since this feat not only boosts your own intimidate skill, but also makes you somewhat more immune to being intimidated--but not terribly so. It's worth adding for the fun factor. :p

OK, so now I think that we're ready for deeper character options in our game. Now you just need to level up! :cool:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Last edited:

jdeleski

First Post
The Shaman said:
No word on our missing doctor?

(The first casualty of the game?!?)
Actually, Dallas and I have been hard at work on his character. What drew my attention to the utter lack of Int/Wis feats in the game was our attempt to line up feats that made sense with respect to his background. I think that we've now fixed that aspect of our campaign and we should be hearing from him soon.

I had to chuckle at Paco's response to Dr. Moore's speech, Shaman. Thanks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Job (the tortured one).

Dallas4lr

First Post
Jdeleski,

I think shaman may have been referring to Eabha (Annie Mahoney). Hmmmm we may have to make this trek without a physician.

Dallas

Remove ads