• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D20 CoC] Beyond the Mountains of Madness Campaign - Recruiting Alternate Players

Job

First Post
Review of George Barrow Character Sheet

Anatomist, I've reviewed George Barrow's character sheet and have the following updates and suggestions:

Ability Point assignments: OK
Hit Points = (6+2) + (4+2) + (4+2) + (4+2) = 26
AC = 10 + 0 (dex bonus) + 2 (defense bonus) = 12

Assuming that your character accepts his best saving throws as Fortitude and Will:
Fortitude Save = +4 base + 2 (Con bonus)
Reflex Save = +4 base + 0 (Dex bonus)
Will Save = +4 base + 2 (Will bonus)

BAB totals: OK

SKILLS: 84 skill points not yet assigned

FEATS: Feats that you might want to consider from d20 Modern Feats Allowed :
- Educated
- Studious
- also look at the Decipher Script skill from this same link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

Anatomist

First Post
Job said:
Anatomist,

No, unfortunately, there is no SRD for CoC. However, that being said, I will guide all players through the campaign, outlining your options, therefore if you're familiar with d20 combat mechanics, you should be fine. I would recommend getting the d20 CoC book via ebay (it's actually one of my favorite d20 manuals), but it's not an absolute necessity for playing in this game.

Job.

I got the book. im just to lazy i love ctrl+C - ctrl+V

Anatomist

First Post
Job said:
Anatomist, I've reviewed George Barrow's character sheet and have the following updates and suggestions:

Ability Point assignments: OK
Hit Points = (6+2) + (4+2) + (4+2) + (4+2) = 26
AC = 10 + 0 (dex bonus) + 2 (defense bonus) = 12

Assuming that your character accepts his best saving throws as Fortitude and Will:
Fortitude Save = +4 base + 2 (Con bonus)
Reflex Save = +4 base + 0 (Dex bonus)
Will Save = +4 base + 2 (Will bonus)

BAB totals: OK

SKILLS: 84 skill points not yet assigned

FEATS: Feats that you might want to consider from d20 Modern Feats Allowed :
- Educated
- Studious
- also look at the Decipher Script skill from this same link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the tortured one).

fixed minus skill point and feats.

i have read that you wont we assign any point to the cuthulhu mythos. does that apply to my character as well?
i need to ponder the feats after im done with the skill assignment.

any combination you would suggest?

Watus

First Post
Job said:
It is also unusual for a physician to be offensive in nature

Hah. So many jokes, so little time.

In any case, I think you've hit Vitus right on the head, as it were. He is not an academic. He is not a researcher. He is an athelete, an adventurer, and a self-styled man of action. I asked myself when I sat down to draw him up, what kind of physician would think a trip to the Antarctic sounded like a good idea? What kind of doctor would leave behind a cushy, lucrative practice to freeze his buns on the ice? Any hypothetical research value of such an expedition - say, on the effects of cold or privation - could surely be conducted a bit closer to home. It seems the only reasonable answer to that question is someone with an overactive sense of adventure. So then why the Antarctic? Why not Borneo or the Gobi or the Amazon? So, he's an alpinist. A cold-weather athelete. He's young and enthusiastic, and not too concerned with the possible consequences of biting off more than he can chew.

In game mechanics, it's true, this does mean spreading his skill points a bit thinner than might be ideal, but I've tried to do so in a way that stays true to the character I laid out. It's true, his bedside manner is likely to leave something be desired, but a) it's the 30's and medicine at the time took a very patrician attitude when dealing with patients, b) he's young, and c) he's a surgeon. Not, in my experience, a very cuddly bunch.

His knowledge skills are also a bit thin, but then again, he isn't a biologist. I know a good number of doctors, and none of them would be competent to analyze anything non-human. They might be able to make a half-a**ed guess from some half-remembered undergraduate textbook, but that's about it. He does, however, have some ranks in Search, Spot, and Sense Motive, to reflect his diagnostic training. His Heal is impressive, and his Knowledge [medicine] is also maxed. Finally, I chose the offensive option to reflect his "go get 'em" attitude, as well as his compulsory military service with the Swiss Army.

Hopefully, if the expedition needs a biologist, they will hire one. Vitus, I imagine, will mostly be useful for setting broken bones and amputating frozen toes.

Job

First Post
Anatomist said:
fixed minus skill point and feats.

i have read that you wont we assign any point to the cuthulhu mythos. does that apply to my character as well?
i need to ponder the feats after im done with the skill assignment.

any combination you would suggest?
Anatomist,

I made an error here: Reflex Save = +4 base + 0 (Dex bonus).
Your Reflex Save is actually = +1base + 0 (Dex bonus) = +1

Without giving anything away, I can tell you that adding points to Cthulhu Mythos generally won't help your character in this campaign and, in fact, will hurt them because each point in Mythos reduces your sanity by a similar amount. It would also, IMO, be much more fun to roleplay the reactions of your character who is totally unaware of Mythos influences as he/she encounters strange phenomena and evidence. If you feel strongly that your character should have some exposure to the Mythos (and thus have some skill points in CM) because of their background, then we'd need to figure out each instance and what the impact would be.

As far as feats are concerned, the two that I pointed out in my note (i.e. Educated, and Studious) would seem to be good fits for your scientist. But rather than recommending specific feats or skills, I'd recommend that you instead focus on aligning all of your character statistics to best fit with your character's background so that you feel comfortable with your character concept. Maximizing your abilities, feats, and skills is not nearly as important as fine-tuning your character's background and personality. This adventure will be much more fun in a roleplaying sense (scientists and explorers who are struggling against the environment and the strange horrors) than in a pulp fiction combat-oriented sense.

Job.

Job

First Post
Watus said:
Hah. So many jokes, so little time.

In any case, I think you've hit Vitus right on the head, as it were. He is not an academic. He is not a researcher. He is an athelete, an adventurer, and a self-styled man of action. I asked myself when I sat down to draw him up, what kind of physician would think a trip to the Antarctic sounded like a good idea? What kind of doctor would leave behind a cushy, lucrative practice to freeze his buns on the ice? Any hypothetical research value of such an expedition - say, on the effects of cold or privation - could surely be conducted a bit closer to home. It seems the only reasonable answer to that question is someone with an overactive sense of adventure. So then why the Antarctic? Why not Borneo or the Gobi or the Amazon? So, he's an alpinist. A cold-weather athelete. He's young and enthusiastic, and not too concerned with the possible consequences of biting off more than he can chew.

In game mechanics, it's true, this does mean spreading his skill points a bit thinner than might be ideal, but I've tried to do so in a way that stays true to the character I laid out. It's true, his bedside manner is likely to leave something be desired, but a) it's the 30's and medicine at the time took a very patrician attitude when dealing with patients, b) he's young, and c) he's a surgeon. Not, in my experience, a very cuddly bunch.

His knowledge skills are also a bit thin, but then again, he isn't a biologist. I know a good number of doctors, and none of them would be competent to analyze anything non-human. They might be able to make a half-a**ed guess from some half-remembered undergraduate textbook, but that's about it. He does, however, have some ranks in Search, Spot, and Sense Motive, to reflect his diagnostic training. His Heal is impressive, and his Knowledge [medicine] is also maxed. Finally, I chose the offensive option to reflect his "go get 'em" attitude, as well as his compulsory military service with the Swiss Army.

Hopefully, if the expedition needs a biologist, they will hire one. Vitus, I imagine, will mostly be useful for setting broken bones and amputating frozen toes.
Watus, this is an excellent, well thought out, character concept and I now can see that you've thought through the roleplaying aspects. Your character sheet is approved and you'll soon (hopefully within a few days if I can push off a few Christmas prep activities) be hearing from James Starkweather.

Job.

Anatomist

First Post
Job said:
Anatomist,

I made an error here: Reflex Save = +4 base + 0 (Dex bonus).
Your Reflex Save is actually = +1base + 0 (Dex bonus) = +1

Without giving anything away, I can tell you that adding points to Cthulhu Mythos generally won't help your character in this campaign and, in fact, will hurt them because each point in Mythos reduces your sanity by a similar amount. It would also, IMO, be much more fun to roleplay the reactions of your character who is totally unaware of Mythos influences as he/she encounters strange phenomena and evidence. If you feel strongly that your character should have some exposure to the Mythos (and thus have some skill points in CM) because of their background, then we'd need to figure out each instance and what the impact would be.

As far as feats are concerned, the two that I pointed out in my note (i.e. Educated, and Studious) would seem to be good fits for your scientist. But rather than recommending specific feats or skills, I'd recommend that you instead focus on aligning all of your character statistics to best fit with your character's background so that you feel comfortable with your character concept. Maximizing your abilities, feats, and skills is not nearly as important as fine-tuning your character's background and personality. This adventure will be much more fun in a roleplaying sense (scientists and explorers who are struggling against the environment and the strange horrors) than in a pulp fiction combat-oriented sense.

Job.

ok.

skill point assigned, none in myhtos.
feats choosen.

im posting my character in the RG.

Job

First Post
Have a Merry!

To all of our intrepid expeditioneers, whether past or present or wanna be's, I wish all of you a wonderful holiday period! I've had great fun *evil laugh* this past year and hope that we have even more in 2006!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Job (the joyous one!).

Remove ads