• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[d20 Cthulhu] What Rough Beast... (Part I)

The Crimster

First Post
There are things seen and unseen… and in between are the doors. - Jim Morrison

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last
Slouches toward Bethlehem to be born? --W B Yeats

OOC: Each PC has received a letter from Julia Pickman, asking them to the funeral of Alan Pickman, her husband. All of them are friends - professional or otherwise - of Alan (who is a professor of mathematics at UCLA). This is the letter:

Dear Alex,
This is a difficult letter to write for me. Please understand if I am not entirely clear, or if my meaning is muddled. I am not myself.

Alan is gone. Four days ago he suffered a heart attack while at the University, and when the ambulance arrived, it was too late. They pronounced him there. I never got to say good bye to him. I got up early that morning and ran some errands, and now he's dead, and I don't even remember what errands I ran.

God, that last paragraph was very hard for me. I rewrote it a dozen times. I don't think it makes sense. The funeral will be on Thursday, Nov 4th, at 11am. At Forest Lawn Cemetery in Studio City. It won't be long, and there will not be a wake (Alan didn't want one, he once told me). When the services are over, I'd like to ask if you could come back with me to my home. I have a few others showing up as well - all friends of Alan. I'll admit, part of it is to keep an old lady company in such a big house (I'm going to sell it, by the way). But the other part is that I need help going through Alan's office. He has so many... things. I wouldn't know where to begin, what to keep or what to give away. He always was a collector of things, you know. I think with a group, it can be done fairly quickly. I don't know. He says he trusts you.

Please help me.

Julia Pickman

November 4th, 1999
The wind howls around the huddled group. It is a biting wind, unusually cold for the supposedly sunny climate of Los Angeles. Hands grip jackets and pull them tighter in a vain attempt to maintain some body warmth. The sun gives off feeble rays through a thick carpet of clouds, doing little more than lighting everything in shades of gray.

The hillside is deserted, other than the lone assembly of about 15 surrounding an open hole. The priest intones words of hope and faith and the promise of heaven - but the wind them rips away before they are heard. Bouquets of flowers sit on top of the casket, strapped to the finely polished lid. There are a great deal of flowers. Professor Pickman had few friends in his later years, but the ones he did have were loyal to the end.

The mourners that gathered around the grave are an unusual bunch: some young, perhaps still in college; while others are old and gray-haired - no doubt Pickman’s peers at the University. All stare at either the ground or the casket, and quite a few have tears in their eyes or falling down their cheeks. All are wearing the traditional black.

Julia Pickman, Alan’s wife, stands motionless staring at the coffin. She looks older than you remember. In one hand she holds a silk hanky. The other grips the arm of a nearby friend, her knuckles white and strained. Her face is a mask, but from time to time you can see it crack, and her eyes well up.

The priest closes his bible, and looks up at the group. He is an older man, his hair a close cropped silver. Heavy bags sit under his rheumy eyes. Pickman was apparently a friend of his as well. He sighs heavily. When he speaks this time, his voice rises and seems to carry better. Almost as if he himself is tired of the platitudes he just offered - platitudes that never quite seem to satisfy the bereaved.

“As you know, there will be no wake as per Alan’s wishes," His eyes look from person to person. “At this time, I would like to ask if there are any of you who would like to say a few words about our departed friend. I think it appropriate to take some time to reflect on what Alan has given each of us.”

Faces look around for anyone to go up to the podium. Perhaps it is simple fear of public speaking that keeps many sitting. Or perhaps it is the fear that their voice will break. You see the priest - whatever his name is, you forget - look at you with a raised eyebrow.

Anyone up for a little eulogy? (and did I mention I give xp for good roleplaying? =)

Last edited:

Anabstercorian

First Post
"Alan was always a friend to me," speaks Alex, a tall, scrawny looking young man. His skin is pale from spending time inside in his studio, and his hair is bleached blond. "He was a wonderful teacher, truly gifted, and I'll never forget what he gave to me." He gives a half hearted smile. "He had good taste in art, too, I think. He was a very generous patron of me and my work. I'll always be grateful for that, and all the confidence he gave me."

Last edited:

Karl Green

First Post
A young man, wearing dark cloths and a pained look glances around at those assemble. With a sad look in his eyes he steps forward and clears his throat… "I own Mr. and Ms. Pickman a lot, and I am very sadden by his lost. I have never been good with word, and I'm even worst with math… but Mr. Pickman, though patients and determination, got me though a lot of hard times at school. He and Julia have been closer to me and my family then any of our own family's relatives… and all I can say now is thank you so much Mr. Pickman, I will miss your smile and your patients for the rest of my life. Without you looking after me, I might not have had the opportunities to follow my dreams."
Sam will then hang his head and step back to reflect for a moment more. He will also try and meet Julia's eyes and smile if can.

Isida KepTukari

First Post
*As Sam steps down, a slightly older man steps up. He's wearing a leather jacket over a suit. His silvering dark hair is quite a mess from the wind, and his gray eyes are more than a bit red*

"Alan was... a great friend to me. He managed to get me over my fear of math in college, no mean feat, let me tell you." *He chuckles weakly* "God, he had one of the best minds in the whole university. He was a great teacher, just enthusiastic and happy about his subject."

"I used to play a lot of chess with him, and we'd talk about all sorts of things. Then he'd beat me. Hey Alan, if you're playing chess up there, use that two-pawn gamble that always worked on me! I never did figure out how he did that...

"And Julia... you two were always so good to me. Thanks for taking care of Alan. He'd forget his own head if it wasn't attached.

"Alan, thanks for being a bud. I owe you a lot."

*After that rather confused eulogy, Ray steps aside and goes back into the crowd, shoving back his jacket sleeve so he can dry his eyes on his shirt cuff. He knew his humor was a bit desperate, but who wouldn't be at this time? He smiled trembulously at Julia as he waits for the next speaker.*

Last edited:

Spoof

First Post
As the wind whipped across the graveyard, stirring the leaves a young man walk up to say a few words about the departed professor. He is dressed in a nice suite, gray, with a black tie; he also wears a dark pair of sunglasses. His hair is light brown cut in a very business fashion, and clean-shaven. He has a small scar extending from the tip of his chin along his jawbone for about 3 inches.

“The professor was a good man, a helpful man. He was always there for those who needed him, willing to sacrifice his time and energy to help anyone in need. No he was a great man. I met Mr. Pickman a couple of years ago when I came to him for help with a personally matter involving an obscure formula, and without hesitation he did all he could to help me. His wife Julia is also a saint, giving of herself to make others as comfortable as possible, and never wanting anything in return.

Ah, it seems like only yesterday that Professor Alan and myself were out having coffee at his favorite coffee house, or eating lunch in the cafeteria, how he could love that food the way he did, is a mystery to everyone (at this Randy gives a weak smile), but love it he did. Mr. Pickard will be missed by those of us who knew him, and to all those who did not know him, they will miss his kindness and unlimited caring. Mr. Pickman, Alan, I pray that you are happy where you are now, and hope that you know we all will miss you. Good-bye my old friend.”

At this Randy bows his head for a moment before walking away from the head of the casket, and over to Mrs. Pickman, giving her a brief kiss on the cheek, before moving back into the crowd.

Last edited:

The Crimster

First Post
Each of your words bring a bitter-sweet smile to Julia's face. It is obvious that she needs to hear these words. Two more of Professor Pickman's friends step up to the podium. They speak of good times that they had with Alan, and what about him they will miss. Their speeches are short and somewhat sad.

Another man begins to step towards the podium. He has a shambling gait, and as he walks around the coffin (itself, poised above the hole by a pulley system), he stares at it with wide eyes. He is wearing a black suit and tie, but ill-fitting and slightly worn looking. He appears to be in his early thirties, but with a pale complexion somewhat out of place in southern California. His hair is dark and disheveled. Perhaps once he was handsome, but time seems to have not been kind. He is holding a crumpled piece of paper in a fist.

The man places the paper on the podium and looks down at it for a moment. He then straightens it with his hands, a frown on his face. His lips can be seen to be moving slightly, as if talking to himself. But all that can be heard is the wind, and the quiet sob of one of the mourners. He straightens and gives a flash of a smile that shows yellowed teeth.

"Uhhh... hello there. Hi. My name is Alister." His voice is rough, as if he smokes a few packs of cigarettes a day. He looks everywhere at once - a nervous habit, perhaps. "P-p-professor Pickman was my friend. And my professor." He smiles again, as if enjoying a joke. "He taught me d'Alembert's theorem, of course. G-g-good one, that. But doesn't take into consideration tri-folded space along a Darboux vector, heh." Alister sniffs loudly and wipes his nose with the back of his hand. A tear falls down his cheek, but he doesn't seem to notice.

"And yet... and yet..." His voice trails off for a moment. He stares at the silver coffin with a blank expression on his face. Fellow mourners begin to look around at each other, puzzled looks on their faces.

Suddenly, Alister turns toward the priest. His voice is pitched low, but everyone can hear it. "He did it, you know. This is all so... pointless. He killed god." The priest's eyes widen in shock, and he takes a step back. Such an odd statement seems totally out of place in such a quiet and sad setting. Alister snorts loudly, and again wipes his nose with his hand. As he does so, everyone sees something slightly disgusting. A bug, perhaps a cockroach - medium sized and black - skitters out from the sleeve of Alister's jacket. Just as quickly, it crawls up his arm and stops on his neck, where it sits. Alister does not seem to notice.

"The tenth multiple is shot, my friend. One is not a prime number no matter what they tell us." Alister's voice is getting louder. He continues to stare at the priest intently, who seems to be in utter shock with his mouth open in a perfect 'O'. The rest of the mourners are in shock as well, unsure what to do.

[Do *you* know what to do, friend?]

Last edited:

Anabstercorian

First Post
Alex looks concerned. Clearly this guy's been taken apart by Mr. Pickman's death. He gets to his feet and tries to talk him in to a private place where he can help him.

[ Diplomacy Check for the purpose of removing Alister from the podium without causing ill-will. DC... 17, or something, I'd guess. ]

Isida KepTukari

First Post
*Moves to assist the tall, pale young man with Alister.*

"Are you all right Alister? You were talking a bit strangely back there."

*Glances at the bug, assuming it's still there.*

"Don't move, you have a bug on you. I'll get it off."

*Flicks the bug off, and squashes it if he can. Disgusting creature.*

"Ok? All right, how about we get away from here, it's too windy to talk."

*Tries to find a more secluded spot, behind a tree or a large gravestone. If Alister should start to rant again, no need to upset Julia.*

[OOC: Aid Another to Alex's Diplomacy check. Do I need to role an attack to hit the roach?]

Last edited:

Spoof

First Post
Randy looks at the man as he starts to ramble upon the podium, and wonders what could be wrong with him. As two of the guests move to assist the man from the podium Randy notices the piece of paper that he left up there. (Needless to say Randy will move up there)

When Randy approaches the podium he turns to the assembled mourners.

“Friends, I am sorry for this display from Mr. Alister. I am sure he did not mean to disrupt this solemn occasion. I am also sure he meant no disrespect to Mrs. Pickman, he was probably just upset about his mentor’s death, and did not know how to express himself. It seems that two of our fellow guests have taken Mr. Alister aside and are trying to comfort him. If there is anyone else who would like to speak, now is the time to do so.”

[While speaking Randy looks down at the piece of paper and if there is anything on it he will take it]

As Randy walk back to the crowd he stops at Julia and once again offers his apologies for the scene that just occurred, and once again for her loss. He will also inform her that he will be more than happy to assist her in her request after the funeral.

Randy will move off to the side of the crowd nearest Mr. Alister and try to listen to what is being discussed, he will also read the papers he took off the podium at this time.

Listen Check +5

Last edited:

Remove ads