• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[d20 Cthulhu] What Rough Beast... (Part II)

The Crimster

First Post
Thus continues the story of What Rough Beast... Please feel free to post on the OOC thread with comments, questions and the like!

Randy heads upstairs, passing Dr. Ray Silver. Ray stands near the front door peering out the window, obviously searching for the police.

At the top of the stairs, Randy moves quickly towards the back. Most likely a panic room would be in the bedroom, perhaps concealed in the closet.

Alan and Julia's bedroom is large and luxurious, with a wide selection of art and antiques from periods and cultures far beyond Randy's meager knowledge. One painting in particular draws Randy's eye - it is an odd piece, of a twisted and crooked window set against a green wall. Or at least a section of a green wall. The window opens onto verdant hills, the edges just beginning to darken with the coming of twilight. Perhaps this is one of Alex's paintings, here hanging just above the bed.

Randy moves to the closet, and finds what he is looking for: an intercom. He keys the speaker.

"Julia it is ok to come out now. They are gone, except for the one we were able to detain. He has said that you are the Queen. What does he mean by that, and do you think you could go talk to Alex. He is asking the prisoner questions, and I think you would be able to assist in that."

The response is slow at first, and then deep click is heard. The back wall of the closet swings open, revealing the rather large panic room. A haggard Julia comes out, looking dazed and sleepy at the same time.

"It's just the club, Randy. They've called Alan and I by those names for years. I was telling S-S-Sam that b-before he..." She trails off, and begins to cry again. She is at the breaking point with all that has happened this day.

She looks directly at Randy, a serious look on her face.

"They've gone too far though, Randy. I won't cover for them anymore. What do you want to know?"

Back in the study, Alex stands before Ted, and continues his questioning.

"What if I could bring you someone who you could explain this all to? I'm not much for math, I admit that freely... But my nephew is on the way, and he's very talented at mathematics, though probably not as much as you. Would you mind if he visted you in jail, talked? You could explain what's going on more effectively. I hope you'll understand that I have a great deal of curiosity for what could motivate you to break in to Julia's house and try and kill us."

"Or succeed." He glances over at Sam momentarily.

Ted, his face a mask of dried streams of blood, grimaces.

"Jail? Hmmm. Sure, sure. Visitors are good. Not sure I'll be staying long, though." He chuckles. "You might say I have a damn good lawyer. And not to mention, I'm not in my right mind, you know." He barks out a laugh. "But sure, I'd love to speak to your friend. I could show him a couple of proofs that would literally blow his mind. But I don't think I would share everything with him, know what I mean? For that, someone would have to join the society." Ted nods. "And one of you will before this is all over. One of you will." The look on Ted's face is an odd mixture of hate and sadness. It is perhaps what the face of insanity looks like.

The sirens outside are coming closer - you suspect they are pulling onto the street, and should be here within moments.

OOC: Any last questions, before the men in blue drag poor Ted away?

Last edited:

Anabstercorian

First Post
"I'll make sure he talks to you, then. I'll see you around - I hope you regain some semblance of sanity. And please, stop killing the meats for no reason. I don't think we muck up the geometry."

Anabstercorian

First Post
Alex narrows his eyes. "I think you'll find that a lot of us are pretty hard to straighten out... Be careful who you fix, or you might find yourself undergoing some geometric... something... yourself." He mentally chastizes himself for talking about things he knows nothing about.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
*Ray sees the lights of the police cars and sighs with relief. He walks outside to meet them and take them inside*

"I'm glad you got here so quickly, we managed to subdue one of the attackers, one got away, and one was killed. They killed one of us... one was armed with a shotgun. We have the one left in handcuffs in the living room, right this way..."

The Crimster

First Post
The flashes of light from the cameras in the other rooms seems to be tapering off. The Crime Scene Investigators have already put away their tape measures, camcorders, and scribbled notes. The bodies of Sam and one of the intruders are long gone. The photographs taken of the splashes of blood on the wall and floor will no doubt be filed away somewhere, evidence against the day when a finger can be properly pointed at those responsible.

In the kitchen, the coffee pot gurgles cheerily despite the late hour. It is the 3rd carafe of coffee that Julia has made for the hordes of policemen that have descended on her home. They have been polite but insistent in their questioning, despite the fact that one of their own was just zipped up in a black body bag and taken to the morgue. Though they did not know Sam, there is a brotherhood among police that transcends whether you know a particular fallen officer. These police are no different, and there is a grimness to them that does not bode well if they capture the ‘perp’.

When Ted was taken away in cuffs, he had little to say. He almost seemed embarrassed when he walked past Julia. Her eyes stared into his back, but she said nothing. The police took him out into the rain and into a waiting car. He is most likely now being interrogated at the Bel-Air police station.

One of the officers, Sgt. Herbert Canter, still sits at the kitchen table, going over the statements each of you gave him.

Sgt. Canter sighs heavily, and drains the dregs of his coffee cup. He is an older man, in his mid-forties, with gray around his temples and a weariness that seems bone deep. He places a report in front of each of you and taps it.

“So… these are your official statements, then?”

OOC: Give me a brief or summarized statement that you would have given the police about what has happened here. Feel free to talk amongst yourselves first about what you will say – we can assume that as the police began to arrive you quickly talked among yourselves about a believable story. Things you may want to decide if you will include in your statement include the cemetery; Alister; the demon bees; the world in the desk drawer; the note to Alan from a student; the crank phone call; disappearing Bobby; the i society; etc. FYI: I will be gone until Monday morning – taking a wee vacation down to Miami!

Anabstercorian

First Post
OOC: I vote we include the following in our story

The i society
Alister
The Cemetary
The note re: Alan's "affair" with a student
The crank call
The i society

Basically, if it's a bunch of cracked up lunatics who are OTHER PEOPLE, we put it in. Nothing about the supernatural until we can prove it. I want to catch a demon bee or something.

Anabstercorian

First Post
I call "Only Guy Posting" Seniority

Since no one is posting but me, I'll assume there are no objections. Unless someone squawks in angry protest, as I expect they will, our final statements will include all of our experiences thus far, with all of the detail and information we can give, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF everything relating to the demon bees and the mysterious warp gate in the drawer. We left the room to take a break and get some ice cream and when we came back, the i Society was there. That's the only fabrication we'll make, because the demon bees are completely unbelievable.

Remove ads