• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Dark*Matter

While we're on the topic of new spells, are any of the forthcoming (or existing) options using a d20-style "fire and forget" or sorcerer-like system?

I'm not a big fan of skills-n-feats magic. If a system like the one I'm looking for doesn't exist, I'll just translate the Dark Matter spells on my own.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
My ASSUMPTION currently is, with new spells and powers being listed as a perk, that most/all of the iconic Dark*Matter spells will be making appearances as Mage/Acolyte spells and that to make a "Diabolist" or "Mystic" one will merely choose to learn one spell instead of the other.

EDIT: And if they don't do it, I will. Just for you.

--fje

arscott said:
I expect that they'll be going with the Occultist rather than the mage, as they did in shades of grey

That would be strange. The arcane spellcasters in Alternity Dark Matter played a heck of a lot more like a Mage than an Occultist. No one went digging around for scrolls.

(Psi)SeveredHead said:
That would be strange. The arcane spellcasters in Alternity Dark Matter played a heck of a lot more like a Mage than an Occultist. No one went digging around for scrolls.
However, spellcasters in Dark*Matter didn't go around throwing things like Fireball (there was the Hellfire spell for Diabolist mages, but it was far weaker than Fireball), Dimension Door if they were Arcane or Raise Dead if they were Divine, which are core spells in d20 Modern. D&D style, vancian spellcasters in d20 Modern are certainly not what Dark*Matter casters are like. In Dark*Matter, spellcasters were relatively weak (each school of magic essentially had only 7 or 8 spells total, maybe some more advanced effects from those spells if you had a lot of skill points in them), and while they could be powerful if they had lots of time or proper conditions, or were powerful compared to people without their abilities, they weren't D&D Clerics and Wizards with slightly reworked abilities, which is what the d20 Modern Acolyte and Mage are.

Now, I do think it is theoretically possible to refit Mage and Acolyte for Dark*Matter, my old homebrew conversion did this, by making various spell lists, and you chose a specific spell list when you took the class based on the various types of FX from Alternity Dark*Matter, with each specialty also having an additional requirement for the Mage class to represent prerequisite training, but if I had it to do over again, I'd probably brew up a feats & skills type system, and use Occultist, or a modified version of that class, as a general magic-oriented class.

As examples of what high level, advanced characters could do with their magic and psionics, look at the NPC's in the core book.

Comte Claude-Louis de Saint Germaine. A 36th level Human Vampire (well, Ekkimmu, but it's the vampires of that setting). The highest level NPC in Dark*Matter, a vampire that is about 300 years old and one of the greatest occultists on earth. What could he do? He knew 4 arcane spells, he could create illusions, hold people motionless, put people to sleep, and perform alchemical transmutations. He had 5 psionic powers: the ability to control his metabolism, the ability to heal himself, the ability to rejuvenate himself, the ability to block mental intrustions from others, and the ability to make psionic suggestions.

Vasily Nevsky Gregorvitch. A 16th level human, the patriarch of the Order of St. Gregory, essentially the leader of the inquisition in the modern day. What can the leader of the secret inquisition do? He can ward off demons, perform exorcisms, and pray for guidance and probably get an actual answer.

Dr. Itohiro Nakami. A 24th level Grey alien (aka Fraal) who poses as a reclusive elderly Japanese gentleman thanks to an illusion generating device using alien technology to greatly amplify his own telepathic illusions. He's one of the few NPC's in the setting who is allowed to have an outright psionic class instead of just being a "talent" because he's an alien. So, what does being 24th level and actually having a psionic class get him? The ability to telepathically obscure his presence, interface with machinery, perform basic telepathy, project illusions, shield his mind, and make psionic suggestions.

These abilites seem a little light for what you'd likely get for having 10 levels in various advanced classes, as each of these NPC's are supposed to be the best or some of the best in their fields on the whole planet, and are the sorts of NPC's who would have all 10 levels in the appropriate FC classes.

wingsandsword said:
D&D style, vancian spellcasters in d20 Modern are certainly not what Dark*Matter casters are like.

But I disagre. They were spell-point using mages. While they made skill checks, I simply don't like using such a system. And they definitely did not use scrolls.

Now, I do think it is theoretically possible to refit Mage and Acolyte for Dark*Matter, my old homebrew conversion did this, by making various spell lists, and you chose a specific spell list when you took the class based on the various types of FX from Alternity Dark*Matter, with each specialty also having an additional requirement for the Mage class to represent prerequisite training

This would be a class system I'd be interested in.

but if I had it to do over again, I'd probably brew up a feats & skills type system, and use Occultist, or a modified version of that class, as a general magic-oriented class.

I see no reason whatsoever to use the Occultist. That method of spellcasting is totally inconsistent with the methods described in Dark Matter.

As examples of what high level, advanced characters

I'm alread familiar with the lot of them. I'd like to point out they'd all be multi-classed, however. Nakami is a Diplomat (Mindwalker), for instance. I'm pretty sure the version of Nakami in Menace Manual has all ten levels of Telepath, but that definitely wasn't necessary.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
The wonderful thing about d20 in general, it's easy for everybody to get what they'd like.

I could see a skills'n'feats style system for D*M magic (hrmmmm), but I could equally see the vancian system being used as-is ... or tweaked GT style to have a cost associated with the casting ... or Spell Points introduced instead of Spell Slots ... or use only the Incantation rules, etc etc.

--fje

Ranger REG

Explorer
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
But I disagre. They were spell-point using mages. While they made skill checks, I simply don't like using such a system. And they definitely did not use scrolls.
Personally, I'm not a fan of spell points. I prefer a different taxing system.

Nebulous

Legend
I was at Hungates the other day and they had a copy of the old Dark Matter. After hearing all the raves about it (and liking the subject matter and Monte's stuff in general) i picked it up. What a great book! Lots of fluff and really high production standards. Just cool to read. So, if for some reason the d20 Modern version screws it up i'll still have this.

Wow, and they officially update "Exit 23" according to that Table of Contents!
w00t.gif

I've used that along with d20 Modern at least twice, but still--an official update would be pretty slick.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads