• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[d20 Future] 22nd Century: Solar Odyssey to Hell. [The game]

Caine Freerover

First Post
Hoping to get some useful information out of the cybershell,

"Our ideas are innovative and we are concerned about industrial espionage. We've heard good things about this station, but what kinds of measures do you have in place to prevent people from gaining access to our segment? Are we allowed to install our own security measures as well?"

Caine is not bringing a weapon.

Lamberts carefully puts four needles with chloral hydrate (knockout drug) in his carry-on case. Since it's legitimate scientific equipment, I don't want to arouse suspicion for trying to hide it. (It's useful for surgery, not just knocking out wild game.)

Kecia Tavernier

First Post
Kecia remained quiet as she passed through the security checkpoints, confident that the guards wouldn't find the plasma pistol she had concealed on her person.

Hide roll: 5+14 =19

Vincent Collins

First Post
Vincent keeps an eye out for any obvious security measures or devices around the periphery of the long corridor such as cameras, biodroids, lock mechanisms etc. During the tour he tries to ask a few questions to add to the cover story; "Yes espionage is a concern for our company, have the backgrounds of the other organizations been thoroughly examined?"

He waits until the restaurant to do any interviews with candidates. At an appropriate moment, he pulls the science team members aside, "Perhaps you three should start with the companies involved in nanotechnology and cloning. Find out as much as you can about their work and possible connections to antimatter or plasma related research. I'm sure I don't need to tell you to be discreet."

Vincent will carry his own sidearm, which is equipped with sensor-baffling.

Hide: 10+4+9 = 23

Spot for security measures: 5+3 = 8

HAR-Vee

First Post
On board the Telarion:

HAR-Vee re-wires the port side Head to fix the sticky lever. He briefly considers giving it more suction before remembering poor Private Yates. He decides to stick to the spec's in the ship operations standards file.

HAR-Vee hums tunelessly.

Turanil

First Post
ashira4.jpg

Inside the long corridor that circles the entire Ashira_29's wheel.

All of you foil the weapon-detectors. Then, you don't seem to notice anything unusual about security measures. Just the few cameras, safety doors for emergency cases, etc., that you would expect onboard a space station.

Per Collins' direction, Jay Purr accompanies Tobermory & Forbes and keeps his eyes peeled for the opportunity to do some independent exploration. In particular he takes note of power conduits or other external mechanisms or fixtures that might provide a clue as to the activities taking place inside the segments rented by our four target companies using Knowledge (physical science) and Knowledge (technology) as applicable. If needed, Bluff checks to make it look like he is instead simply seeking the rest room or some such innocuous location.
Jay Purr notices that, of the four suspicious companies, only Shabu-Avindranath Corp has obviously made heavy installations and rents two segments. The others seem to have more like simple offices (which makes sense for Shemezgan & Balmers for example). However, don't forget that in the 22nd century, there is much less offices (that is: physical buildings) that there was in the 20th or 21st century. So, the need for a place like this in space probably denotes concerns for being out of legal reach. On the other hand, the desire to have a "temple" in space, can make sense for the Church of the Scientific Revelation. By the way, Jay notices that they appear to be open to visitors and would-be followers… After all, they could only be glad to have some of the scientists onboard Ashira_29 join their ranks.

Caine Freerover hoping to get some useful information out of the cybershell: "Our ideas are innovative and we are concerned about industrial espionage. We've heard good things about this station, but what kinds of measures do you have in place to prevent people from gaining access to our segment? Are we allowed to install our own security measures as well?"

During the tour Vincent Collins tries to ask a few questions to add to the cover story: "Yes espionage is a concern for our company, have the backgrounds of the other organizations been thoroughly examined?"
The cybershell, replies to you with his emotionless mechanical voice.
- "Don't worry sir, we do have the latest of security measures, especially where electronic espionage is concerned. The station itself being in space is easy to watch over, and has appropriate defenses just in case. You are of course allowed to install additional security measures in your own segment. The other companies have been, indeed, thoroughly examined, and present no danger. Suspicious applicants are rebutted, as it happened once."

Then, the cybershell lets you visit the segment you are supposed to rent. There is nothing really interesting for you to see there. You could install some laboratory, but nothing of real industrial facilities.

Vincent Collins waits until the restaurant to do any interviews with candidates. At an appropriate moment, he pulls the science team members aside: "Perhaps you three should start with the companies involved in nanotechnology and cloning. Find out as much as you can about their work and possible connections to antimatter or plasma related research. I'm sure I don't need to tell you to be discreet."
Once in the restaurant, it's difficult to tell apart who works for which company. You only notice a table with what, probably (where their rather odd garbs are concerned), must be three priests of the Church of the Scientific Revelation with two visiting followers. Nonetheless, Caine and Christopher recognize a guy whose head they saw once in a biotech congress. It's not a far-fetched idea to think he could work for Shabu-Avindranath Corp.

What do you do?

Last edited:

Jay Purr

First Post
OOC: Is the info gained by one character (Jay's recognition of the significant emplacement by Shabu-Avindranath Corp in this case) shared by all? If not, Jay finds a quiet moment to share his observations with the others...

Jay suggests to Collins that Jay could stop by the temple of the Church of the Scientific Revelation feigning interest (Bluff check) in the religion as a chance to examine the interior (Knowledge physical science and technology checks). Worth doing? Accompanying one or more of the science staff to visit Shabu-Avindranath Corp is also possible, but Jay would find it more difficult to provide a reasonable justification for his interest.

If Collins approves of the first approach, Jay will go to the temple directly, rather than engage the priests in the restaurant. If the latter is preferrable, Jay will simply "hang-out" and follow the lead of the science team.

Caine Freerover

First Post
Talking up the scientists

Caine will do some quick cyber-research to bring up a list of presentations for that conference, and be ready to look up the scientist's work when he learns his name. Then he will gesture to Christopher and go over to the man's table.

"Hello, there. I know I remember you from the last biotech conference, but I don't think we had the pleasure of a conversation. Do you mind if we join you? My name is Caine Freerover and this is my colleague, Christopher Lambert."

[OOC I'll let Christopher handle the more social aspects of the ensuing conversation, letting him swap anecdotes and butter the man up with small talk. Caine will join in more fully when the conversation turns to research, and had called up some of the man's papers to talk intelligently about his work and give him the impression that he's been following his research favorably.]

Brendan Radley

First Post
Bradley sticks close to the others, keeping an eye out for choke points and ideal locations for explosives on Ashira_29's internal structure. Not that he imagines knowing those things would be of any use, he just looks for those things out of habit. He has the standard issue laser pistol tucked away just in case.

Hide roll: 18+10+4 = 32

Turanil

First Post
Caine Freerover does some quick cyber-research to bring up a list of presentations for that conference, and be ready to look up the scientist's work when he learns his name.
This scientist is Guran Mopta, an Indian* biogenetician. He is not known for being a top researcher in his field. He is just known for having done researches about electrical-biocurrents in the body, the relation between life and electricity, and how to genetically alter a living creature to become impervious to (the damaging effects of) electricity, or even use it to improve its strength. It is not known whether his researches have been fruitful.

Brendan Radley has the standard issue laser pistol tucked away just in case. Hide roll: 18+10+4 = 32
The laser pistol is so well hidden, that Brendan is not even sure to find it back if needed. ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[OOC *: I hope I don't give the false impression that I could be somewhat xenophobic, in featuring shabby Indians NPCs in this story. I am not, and in fact much like India, which was the true cradle of civilization well before Sumer. But I digress...]

Last edited:

Remove ads