• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Future Star System Generation

ragboy

Explorer
I got sick of compiling disparate information when I went to build a star system with habitable planets, so I made a doc with all the relevant information in one place. If anyone wants to vet it...or if anyone finds it useful, let me know.

Star System Generation

Turanil

First Post
It's an interesting document. Thanks for it. Just a question however: are the info from d20 future or from reliable scientific sources?

ragboy

Explorer
Turanil said:
It's an interesting document. Thanks for it. Just a question however: are the info from d20 future or from reliable scientific sources?
Reliable scientific sources. Not sure if d20 Future qualifies :)

It really grew out of a Star Frontiers campaign, and I wanted to know the pretty-close if not exact science of where living planets should be. It's a compilation of sources. I can post them here when I'm closer to my home machine.

ragboy

Explorer
Warlord Ralts said:
I'm in...

Can I expand on it and put the "expanded version" in the Future Fun thread?
Absolutely. Have at it. It's all public information, I just compiled it into one place.

Thanks!

nocanes

First Post
I am missing something...

With different stars cranking out different joules in relation to orbital radius, wouldn't it stand to reason that a blue star would require optimum life to prosper at a greater radius than a rad star??

I could be way off on that, but I'll check and make sure I didn't miss anything after I post.

Thanks...

ragboy

Explorer
nocanes said:
With different stars cranking out different joules in relation to orbital radius, wouldn't it stand to reason that a blue star would require optimum life to prosper at a greater radius than a rad star??

I could be way off on that, but I'll check and make sure I didn't miss anything after I post.

Thanks...
That should be the case. I can't actually access my own web page from work, so I'll have to check when I get home. I probably screwed up a decimal place.

Here's a table of main sequence stars... see if it jives...

http://curriculum.calstatela.edu/courses/builders/lessons/less/les1/StarTables.html

Edit: I updated the table. My numbers were wonky for low end Radius on the Class G star. Thanks for picking that out!

Last edited:

tm80401

First Post
ragboy said:
Reliable scientific sources. Not sure if d20 Future qualifies :)

It really grew out of a Star Frontiers campaign, and I wanted to know the pretty-close if not exact science of where living planets should be. It's a compilation of sources. I can post them here when I'm closer to my home machine.

What are you doing bringing reality into a D20 game. If you want reality play GURPS! :lol:

Please note the sarcasm.

ragboy

Explorer
tm80401 said:
What are you doing bringing reality into a D20 game. If you want reality play GURPS! :lol:

Please note the sarcasm.

Sarcasm noted, but I'm not usually very anal about realism above a certain level. (or maybe below a certain level...)

It was totally based on the players at the time. We were all science geeks and Star Frontiers was surprising amendable for scientist-type players. I got sick of being called a 'space opera' DM. "_ Though now, I take that as a compliment.

Remove ads