• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 Gamma World or Darwin's World

I'm getting the sense that the D20 Gamma World and/or Darwin's World settings are not very popular, but could be wrong. I've got some of the books and they look like a lot of fun. Has anyone played these systems?

I'm imagining the Road Warrior/Beyond Thunderdome style of movies, but with higher tech, more carnage, robots, and mutants! Think of the mayhem!

Last edited:

Nisarg

Banned
Banned
Well, Darwin's world is actually rather good.. its lack of popularity might just be from the fact that its published by a small company, so it doesn't have the marketing presence to be a big player.

D20 GW on the other hand is a post-apocalyptic setting to be sure, but it bears little or no relation to the real Gamma World that diehard fans enjoyed. It bombed because it tried to steal the name "Gamma World" but couldn't bring itself down to the level of actually being a fun crazy game like the original.

If you want a good version of GW, pick up Jonathan Tweet's "Omega World" (from Dungeon #94). I also hear that D20 Future has a version of the "gamma world" setting in all but name..I hope its good, but i can't vouch for it personally since I haven't got that yet.

Nisarg

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
Go with Darwin's World.

The Gamma World transport was watery and frankly, besides being post apocalype, didn't have much in common with gamma world.

Darwin's World 2 is pretty cool, and has both the "gritty" and the "fun" feel available.

Jim Hague

First Post
I wouldn't call GW d20 on having 'stolen' anything - every edition's had different settings, rulessets...GW no more stole then 3.0 stole from 2nd Ed. It's a more fantastic take on the genre, and is a damn sight closer, despite its flaws, to 1st edition GW than anything since, IMO.

Me, I hated Darwin's World - out of whack classes, a weak and uninspiring world...meh.

Now, if you're looking for some Road Warrior action, check out Redline from FFG. Max Max goodness.

ViperDarkhaunter said:
I'm getting the sense that the D20 Gamma World and/or Darwin's World settings are not very popular, but could be wrong. I've got some of the books and they look like a lot of fun. Has anyone played these systems?

Well first of all, Darwin's World 2 is where the action is. A very solid product. The original Darwin's World isn't as good as the sequel (which is fully D20 Modern compatible, by the way).

D20 Gamma World? The consensus is that D20 Gamma World is dreadful. There are a few die-hard "I'll buy anything that Sword & Sorcery puts out" people who claim to enjoy it, but honestly, the books are of such poor quality in both production values, editing, and mechanics, that I suspect they were designed by people who have a secret grudge against Sword & Sorcery and were trying to torpedo the studio. It was a conspiracy. It's that bad.

Check out RPG.net for some very detailed and scathing reviews of the dreadful Gamma World d20 Player's Handbook. Yech.

So between the two you mentioned, Darwin's World 2 is the obvious winner, hands down. Gamma World d20 is an abomination.

HOWEVER, if you *really* want to make a good move, I would advise you to pick up D20 Modern and D20 Future and just run the "Wastelands" setting in D20 Future. When Wizards of the Coast saw how embarassingly bad the D20 Gamma World was, they obviously decided to give a nod to a *proper* rendition of the setting. Enter "Wastelands." D20 Future also has detailed rules for radiation, nanotech, robots, mutations, mecha, genetic engineering, and tons of high-tech equipment. D20 Modern has psionics and uplifted animals as player characters.

In other words, now that D20 Future is out, it's really all a true Gamma World fan needs.

Crothian

First Post
The Players Guide to GW was pretty bad but I really enjoyed tyhe DM's guide to it. Darwin's World 2 the big hard cover one is great, a huge imporvement over the orginal. Personally, I'd combine elements of both.

Neo

Explorer
If your wanting a proper "original" style post apocalypse setting then definitely go with Darwins World it is by far the best available (and not just because I wrote some of the Metal Gods Supplement).

Gamma World isn't bad it just isn't the Gamma World we all remember so it irks a lot of people that were hoping for that familiar feel to thier gamma world games. In its own right its fairly good it just isn't as I say gamma world in the sense that springs to most peoples thoughts when you say those two words.

Last edited:

PosterBoy

First Post
ViperDarkhaunter said:

I'm the last person to ask about comparing the two since I'm the publisher and co writer of DW, but it's not true to say it's unpopular. Of course, that it sort of subjective (what constitutes popular?), but Darwin's World is our primer and best selling line.

The core rulebook is our best selling product. In fact, I am down to less than 50 Darwin’s World HC left and I’m saving those for GenCon. So in essence, it’s going to be sold out from my end in less than a Month probably.

I’m sure there’s still lots out there on retailers shelves, but once they sell, there are no restocks until we reprint (which won’t be for while).

DW1 is the 16th best selling ebook of all time RPGNow and the 2nd edition book is 34. Heck, some our DW adventures sell better than a lot of standalone d20 books on rpgnow.

Now with that said, I’m sure GW d20 print sales dwarfs DW by a large margin. But it’s WW. There are lots of retailers that don’t even stock RPGObjects’ books.

Anyhow, just want to point that it is very popular by our own personal sales standards and you can expect continue support (adventures, supplements, etc.).

I'm imagining the Road Warrior/Beyond Thunderdome style of movies, but with higher tech, more carnage, robots, and mutants! Think of the mayhem!

This couldn't be any closer to DW. :) It's a gritty PA. I like to compare it as a cross between fallout and GW. Fallout/Road Warrior tone with mutants.

Last edited:

C. Baize

First Post
I probably shouldn't chime in here, as I'm somewhat biased...

I'm an old time Gamma World fan... 1st and 2nd editions were my favorites...

I've been fully, and possibly irrevocably converted to Darwin's World 2.
I did do some editing, and I contributed a TINY amount (miniscule) to Darwin's World 2. It is far superior to the 1st edition Darwin's World in my opinion, for many reasons, one of the prime reasons for me is that it's built on the D20 Modern SRD, which means it's automatically compatible with D20 Future. :)
Also, I just edited another Darwin's World 2 adventure, I think it might even be up by now.
Darwin's World 2 receives continuing support.
Gamma World might... I really can't say. I don't know.
I do know about Darwin's World 2, and that's what I recommend with zero hesitation.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Another vote for Darwin's World. As a long time Gamma World fan, GWd20 just left me flat - it doesn't feel like Gamma World. DW on the other hand while not exactly Gamma World either, does capture the feel better than GWd20.

If you're looking for good post apocalypse head over to EBay and pick up a copy of Gamma World 1st or 2nd edition - it's still the best. If you're looking for good d20 Modern post-apocalypse pick up Darwin's World.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads