• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Heat System (basic legal mechanic)

Masada

First Post
I posted this to WotC and received minimal flames... figured I'd post here for more feedback.

Heat System

As characters encounter the many moral dilemmas in a modern campaign they are sure to bend the rules here and there. A GM is confronted with how to handle minor and major infractions of the law. While some GM’s are comfortable playing out the details of how the police or federal authorities operate, they Heat System offers an alternative to simplify the task. The system is broken in to two versions. The complex system offers a detailed mix of modifiers for managing a players Heat. The simple system allows the GM to rapidly track her players without table lookups.

In either case, using Heat should not discourage the GM from playing out interactions with the police occasionally. It is also not intended to allow the characters to get away with murder—although it could be if the GM desired.

The system is designed to give the GM a tool to gauge how often and how severe penalties should be for minor legal infractions. If they’ve had a long career in crime, then they will have left a long trail of telltale clues. Eventually these clues add up to a match and the police will take action. The consequences of this can be minor (fines, loss equipment, etc) or major (large fines, incarceration, seizure of assets) based on how high the Heat value is and how badly the players manage it. One of the side benefits to the Heat score is that it lets the player know how much risk they are taking in an understandable way. You don’t have to be a legal expert to understand that a high Heat value may cause consequences. Players shouldn’t feel persecuted with random police complications—or at least they should see it coming.

The Heat system does not replace the common rolls for spotting a false ID, Bluff, seeing through disguises, etc. These rolls occur normally. It also does not try to qualify violent crimes. It should be up to the GM to decide how well the PC’s can pull off kidnapping, murder and the like—if at all. Once the PC’s engage in this type of activity, the police will begin to expend large amounts of resources that can not be simply modeled. However, the system could be extended if the GM desired.

The Simple Heat System

Heat in this system is based on thresholds. When a character commits a certain crime their Heat score is set to a particular value, but in most cases the value is not accumulative. Other modifiers come in to play that do stack on top of the threshold value. This is exactly the same system as used by other stacking bonuses. The lists provided are examples not exhaustive.

Heat = Threshold Value + Modifiers

Small Time threshold (5): When a PC commits one (or several) of the following crimes they gain this small amount of Heat.
  • Stealing goods worth less than Purchase DC 15
    Carrying a concealed weapon without a license
    Discharging a weapon in public
    Possession of drugs
    Possession of explosives without a license
    Possession of restricted weapons without a license
    Soliciting
    Illegal gambling
    Possession of a false ID (Driver’s License or similar)
    Associating with Shady characters (below)
Shady threshold (10): The PC has enough shady dealings to arouse suspicion if investigated.
  • Assault (non-lethal combat)
    Stealing/Possession goods worth Purchase DC 16 to 23
    Possession of a fake badge (false police identification)
    Possession of fake passport
    Smuggling goods domestically (avoiding sales taxes)
    Previously convicted (failed a Heat check at the Small Time level)
    Violation of a protection order
    Extortion
    Tax evasion
    Possession of Military hardware
    Associating with Crooked characters (below)
Crooked threshold (15): The PC has crossed the line on occasion and is generally considered “potentially dangerous.”
  • Stealing/Possession of stolen vehicle
    Successfully fled from police
    Assault of law enforcement (non-lethal combat)
    Stealing/Possession of goods worth Purchase DC 24 to DC 30
    Discharge of automatic weapons in public
    Destruction of public property (Purchase DC 30 or less in damage--$15,000)
    Possession of false federal ID
    Associating with Criminals (below)
    Violating Probation (as below)
Criminal threshold (20): At this level the PC has risked serious injury to others or has significantly impacted property.
  • Use of lethal force (shooting at folks)
    Armed robbery
    Stealing/Possession of goods purchase DC 31 to 34
    Smuggling goods internationally
    Failure to Appear (see below)
Modifiers

The following conditions provide modifiers to the threshold. These penalties are accumulative.
  • The hero was seen by law enforcement committing a crime, but not identified; +2 Heat.
    The hero used a traceable credit account in the crime; +4 Heat.
    A bystander was injured accidentally during a crime; +4 Heat.
    The hero left the scene of the crime in a car registered to them; +4 Heat.
    The hero left the scene of the crime in a car registered to an ally; +2 Heat.
    The hero’s actions were captured on camera; +4 Heat.
    The hero leaves behind finger prints or spent cartridges; +2 Heat.
    The PC has the Criminal occupation; +2 Heat.
    Children were at risk during the crime; +2 Heat.
The following conditions improve a PC’s chances at avoiding entanglements.
  • The hero has the Law Enforcement occupation; -4 Heat.
    The hero has a friendly contact in the police department; -1 Heat per 2 levels of contact.
    The hero routinely makes monthly Purchase DC 26 bribes; -4 Heat.
    For every 5 ranks in Knowledge (Civics); -2 Heat.
    The hero undergoes cosmetic surgery to alter appearance; -4 Heat.
    Target of the crime was a criminal; -4 Heat.
    Target of the crime was a hated criminal; -8 Heat.
    For every Action Point spent on reducing Heat since the last check failure; -1 Heat.
Regardless of modifiers, Heat can not drop below Small Time once incurred.

Making the Roll…

Heat check = d20 + 1/2 character level + Reputation Bonus

When ever the hero has contact with a legal entity a Heat check is appropriate. Contact should be any event where the character’s personal information is checked. This could be a background check for a weapon, a speeding/parking ticket, or even casually using Knowledge (Civics) if it required a trip downtown. It should also be rolled when a PC’s threshold changes from a lesser to a more severe category.

A player can add the hero’s Reputation modifier plus ½ their character level to the d20 roll. Beating the Heat means nothing happens. Failure indicates the hero has run afoul of bad karma and some legal action will be the result (below).

Legal Consequences

Failure means that the character has formally been charged with some minor (or major) transgression. Being charged and being convicted are two different things however. The Heat system boils down the incident to simple results to speed game play, yet still add the game. The two penalties are time and money. The severity is a factor of how badly the check is failed. Characters that are “Delayed” must spend the listed time in court and/or with civil authorities working out the details, but are not actually in jail. If the PC’s “fail to appear”, then their Heat immediately jumps to Criminal threshold. Jail sentences are served in county lock-ups or minimal security facilities. While on Probation a PC may not associate with ex-convicts or carry firearms. The good news is that after doing the time and paying the fines, the PC’s Heat threshold drops to Small Time and clears your modifiers (once you’re dirty it always sticks to you a little.)

Failure by 5 or less; Fined -2 Wealth.
Failure by 6 or 7; Fined -2 Wealth and Delayed 2 days.
Failure by 8 or 9; Fined -3 Wealth and Delayed 5 days.
Failure by 10 or 11; Fined -4 Wealth, Delayed 2 days, Jailed 2 days.
Failure by 12 or 13; Fined -4 Wealth, Delayed 2 days, Jailed 7 days.
Failure by 14 or 15; Fined -5 Wealth, Delayed 5 days, Jailed 14 days.
Failure by 16 or 17; Fined -5 Wealth, Delayed 5 days, Jailed 30 days, Probation 30 days.
Failure by 18 or 19; Fined -6 Wealth, Delayed 14 days, Jailed 60 days, Probation 60 days.
Failure by 20+; Fined -7 Wealth, Delayed 14 days, Jailed 90 days, Probation 90 days.

Failures by 30 or more will merit actual prison time of 6 months to 2 years. Again, more serious violent crimes are not covered in this system.

Beating the Rap

The easiest way to reduce Heat is to spend Action Points. One Action Point reduces Heat by one point. A player can do this anytime prior to triggering a Heat check. This provides a lasting reduction to the player’s Heat score until he fails a check. A player should note the AP expenditure next to his Heat score. This number is deducted from his Heat score for all Heat checks until a failure results. After a failure the bonus is lost.

After a failed Heat check the player may make a Knowledge (Civics) check with a DC equal to their current Heat score. Success means they successfully “plea bargain” down to half the listed penalty. A hero may hire a lawyer to make this check for them (paying fees as listed in the d20 Modern core rules).

An Example:

“Slick Rick” Holman is 5th level character with a +2 Reputation bonus. Rick is generally nice guy just out fighting the bad guys when he can. Life as a private detective has a tendency to put one in delicate situations. Rick carries a false police badge for bluffing his way out of sticky areas. He also carries an Uzi (Restricted weapon without a license) in his trunk for emergencies which he purchased with cash. Rick’s current Heat threshold is Shady (10) because of the false police ID.

While searching the apartment of a cheating spouse, Rick is confronted by the owner. Rick flashes the badge and stammers some excuses about a gas leak complaint while making a hasty retreat. Rick is forced to drive off in his own car while the confused spouse tries to call the police. This adds +4 to Rick’s Heat for a total of 14.

Weeks later Rick is shot at by another angry spouse and the police are called. Rick is questioned about the strictly self-defense event, Rick never even returned fire. But the interaction causes a Heat check as the police question Mr. Holman and poke around his stuff. Rick rolls a d20 and gets a 7. The roll plus 2 (1/2 his level) plus 2 more (for Reputation) is only 11! Rick is busted. However, since the check failed by less than 5, this time it will only cost Rick 2 Wealth points in fines. A complete failure (a roll of 1 for a total of result of 5) would have resulted in 3 points of Wealth and 5 days lost to paperwork and court appearances. In either case once Rick does the time and pays the fines his Heat is reduced to Small Time (5). In general, illegal items are confiscated; however, it is up to the GM if Rick loses his badge. Of course, keeping it would increase his Heat to 10 again immediately.

Last edited:

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
This is very cool. Consider it yoinked.

It's a little cinematic in the time scales, but that's d20 Modern to its bootstraps, and its a very elegant and simple system that can be copied to about a single piece of paper for inclusion in my gaming folder ...

Oh, look at that, it's getting yoinked as we speak. :)

I'm currently unable to playtest it, of course, as I don't have any Modern games going and am moving in about a month, but maybe one day in the future when I get another group up and going in Tuscaloosa.

--fje

Committed Hero

Adventurer
I suppose it's a good reflection on your group that you haven't considered heinous crimes like rape and it's ilk.

Also, you may want to revisit the fact that heat seems automatic; in other words, would you let a clever party plan a Mission: Impossible type heist to avoid heat?

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
You could even write new feats that work with the heat mechaninc. Such as ...

Friends in High Places
You "know people" who pull strings for you and help you out by covering up your illicit activities.
Benefit: Any Heat check made against you has a -5 penalty to the DC.

Len

Prodigal Member
That's a neat system.

I have one quibble though. Shouldn't fines be specified as a purchase DC, rather than directly reducing your wealth? Fines are usually fixed based on the crime; it doesn't make sense that a rich person is fined $1000000 for, say, carrying an unlicensed firearm.

Masada

First Post
The reason I didn't include things like rape, kidnapping and murder (besides being very dark) is that I don't want to gloss over a way for the PC's to get away with it. I want them to detail plans for how they are going to cover their tracks and I'm going to be right there looking for a misstep and even then I'll probably assign some chance of failure. The other reason is that the consequences for being caught are not easy to work in. If push comes to shove, most game groups can in some way fashion a PC being "out" for 60 days. But violent crimes in my universe send people away for a long time when they are caught. I can play a prison campaign--and in fact I have one planned just in case. But it didn't fit in a "cinematic" system like this.

As to what I would allow inside the Heat system, I would give the PC's a bonus to checks for being meticulous. In fact, I might add "The hero has the Meticulous feat; -2 Heat." You could easily add some new feats for Heat management, but I would encourage you to add functionality to what already exists rather than add more feat choices. I'd have the PC's use contacts to help reduce Heat. You could also add Heat reduction as a factor in equipment choices--i.e. the "Slick Rick" special Uzi is particularly common and difficult to distinguish from other weapons of similar caliber; no Heat penalty for leaving behind normal spent casings.

Masada

First Post
I have one quibble though. Shouldn't fines be specified as a purchase DC, rather than directly reducing your wealth? Fines are usually fixed based on the crime; it doesn't make sense that a rich person is fined $1000000 for, say, carrying an unlicensed firearm.

I did consider that, but left it as is for the "Simple" system. "Fines" was just a simplistic description. I wanted even rich PC's to feel the penalty a little. One could argue that the rich folks would seek more expensive council and see a larger portion of income lost because of being taken away from work. The total financial impact of the event is represented in the loss. Rich characters can still hire lawyers (probably free for them) to cut the Wealth penalty in half. And of course you could tweak the system to reduce the Wealth cost further in your campaign.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads