• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[D20 Modern] Anyone using it for a not-so Modern game?

Henry

Autoexreginated
I was actually thinking of heading that way myself, basing a setting off of the "Worlds of Ultima" series from back in the early 1990's. The first one, savage lands (I think?) was ripped from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and the second one was a Martian Adventure that was absolutely fantastic (and very Jules Verne).

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'm inclined to use it as the basis for my next "realistic" fantasy campaign - change wealth back into a money economy and a few other things.

Davelozzi

Explorer
At the ENBoards gathering at Piratecat's yesterday I played in a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen d20 Modern game run by Wulf Ratbane and set in 1895. The game was a blast and the system worked great, although Wulf had to make a few slight changes to accomodate for some of our character's special abilities.

MacPhail

First Post
museum mayhem

The scene from the Mummy in the British Museum has inspired be to give a non-modern game a try. I'll be using a security guard, a couple of history students with ancient weapon proficiencies and a paranormal investigator as the main characters. I'll run it as a one-off most likely, Doom style, starting off with nothing save maybe a fire extinguisher or pocket knife and working through display cases grabbing spears, crossbows, etc. as they go. The paranormal investigator gets wind of the energies gathering in the museum's basement and triggers the chain of events, trapping the other characters inside for a night of fun-filled undead-slaying... good ol' mummy madness.

KitanaVorr

First Post
I love the D20 Modern book and I find its easily adaptable for different time periods. I plan on making a game set in the Victorian era and an old-fashioned Hong Kong Action Film type game.

Its pretty easy to take stuff out that wouldn't exist then or substitute it for what does exist for that time period.

I thought about doing a WWII one, Indiana Jones'ish type adventure also an d I think it would fit for that.

Chaldfont

First Post
I was thinking about running a campaign inspired by the French and Indian war in an alternate North America during the 1760s. The PCs would play american indians or backwoods trappers and have access to some kind of shamanistic magic. On the otherside, the european invaders would have fanatic priests that could call upon a wrathful god. The PCs could also explore ruins left by the mound builders (an ancient society from the Ohio and Mississipi river valleys) said to contain forgotten lore.

I like the idea of characters like Mani in Brotherhood of the Wolf, Daniel Day-Lewis's character in The Last of the Mohicans and Mel Gibson's character in The Patriot.

MacPhail

First Post
On French and Indian War era...

Chaldfont-

You would be well advised to check out the real-life stories behind such luminaries as Pontiac, Tecumseh and other Indian nationalists. The greatest failing of the Native resistance to colonial expansion was their inability to unite; many white bastions withstood extensive siege because the Natives lacked the military infrastructure to sustain it. When allied tribes saw the season progressing with little or no progress, they frequently abandoned the battlefield to get their crops planted and harvested before winter. Check out the book Over the Earth I Come for a great account of the Souix Uprising. Another setting that might interest you is the fur trade era of the Pacific Northwest. White trapper and traders, British, French and American Militaries and numerous Indian tribes were forced to cohabitate in a rugged, unexplored land... check out the stories of Jim Bridger, Jed Smith, Lewis and Clark... great potential all around. Good Luck!

Wormwood

Adventurer
*Just* started work on an Elric-style low-magic Sword & Sorcery game using d20 Modern as a base.

Will update if there's any interest.

Daiymo

First Post
Chaldfont said:
I was thinking about running a campaign inspired by the French and Indian war in an alternate North America during the 1760s. The PCs would play american indians or backwoods trappers and have access to some kind of shamanistic magic. On the otherside, the european invaders would have fanatic priests that could call upon a wrathful god. The PCs could also explore ruins left by the mound builders (an ancient society from the Ohio and Mississipi river valleys) said to contain forgotten lore.

Great idea! I think the pre Napoleonic 18 th century period is such an overlooked time frame. And the French and Indian War/Northwest territory is a great setting. French spies, Iroquois shaman, backwoods scouts. If you ever run a PbP game let me know-I can never find anyone interested in this period..:)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads