• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 Modern Campaign Ideas?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
JPL said:
I'm thinkin' Remo Williams meets Doc Savage.

Trained by an ancient Tibetan holy man in the One True Martial Art, a eclectic team of adventurers travels to the far ends of the earth, exploring the unknown and fighting incredible foes.

Oooohhhhhh...I like it!

Mr Fidgit

First Post
your right, Corinth. the PCs could gang up on an agent, kill him (destroy that body) and then run! :D

matrix bad guy options will open up in the next movie. i believe there are many more types of bad guys, than just the agents.

JPL

Adventurer
Mistwell said:

Oooohhhhhh...I like it!

Thanks. I've been threatening to run this campaign for a long, long time. I like the prospect of mixing up the "Dark Matter"-style mystery with some of that kung-fu fighting. The best of both worlds, y'know? I'm thinking everyone would start at 7th or 8th level, with at least two levels of the Martial Artist advanced class.

It's really my take on the old Jack Kirby "Challengers of the Unknown" comics --- they don't just investigate unexplained phenomena, they grab it by the collar and smack it around.

And D'arc, you are quite right. Buckaroo is the Doc of the 1980s. And another fine example of what I'd like to do with my campaign.

I'd like to try a uber martial artist anime type setting. Along the lines Dragonball z, but more toned down. I suppose more along the lines of the street fighter and fatal fury movies maybe crossed with some more mystical themes like in X and poltergiest report.

Jeph

Explorer
Anubis has a thread somewhere in House Rules with a bunch of DBZ style feats--you know, energy balls and stuff. I doubt that's what your looking for in a d20 Modern setting, though.

Try giving a free unarmed damage advancement to all Hero Classes . . . say, start at d4, go up one die type at every level divisable by 5.

Oh yeah, I forgot to pimp my favorite firearms rules! Right, I was gonna say use the Sleeping Imperium Firearms rules for all your non-fistfull needs. With them, you can make any type of gun from a pirate pistol to an electromagnetic gatling, and everything inbetween. And they take recoil and armor piercing into account.

Cool idea Jeph. I'd probably also throw in something similiar to the torrent of chi feat from Dragonfist, with adjustments for differnt types of "power moves".

Last edited:

Pbartender

First Post
I was thinking an X-Com setting would be pretty neat.

Use D20: Modern, with a few of the Spycraft feats tossed in, and some new equipment to emulate some of the futuristic and alien technologies.

JPL

Adventurer
Another one that I've been kicking around...

Steampunk/Victorian high adventure/proto-pulp/Wold Newton, with some conspiracy and alt-history thrown in.

1895. The heroes are adventurers and explorers based in the Kingdom of Ruritania. They are gradually drawn into a war which has secretly spanned the last century...and which now explodes into open conflict.

Almost one hundred years before, a meteor landed near Wold Newton, England. No one realized it at the time, but some property of the meteorite --- something Victorian science cannot begin to understand --- affected the bloodlines of the people nearby. Their descendants would have the potential for nearly superhuman physical, mental, and spiritual abilities. From this blood would come a century's greatest heroes...and most dangerous villains...

[Anyway...plenty of swashbuckling, Freemasons v. Seven Hidden Masters v. Hanoi Xan v. Moriarty, weird science aplenty, the quest for immortality, mystical rites, and Lost Kingdoms. For the finale: the Martians in tripod walkers want the meteorite back...]

tsadkiel

Legend
Doctor Who aside, here's what I'll actually be attempting with d20 Modern: "It's like the X-Files written by Neil Gaiman and Tim Powers, only they're not in the FBI, and Mulder's played by Chow Yun-Fat, while Scully's played by Audrey Tautou." Basically just a big grab-bag of stuff that I personally find cool.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads