• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Modern Class Structure with D&D

igavskoga

First Post
Has anyone out there tried to run D&D/Fantasy using the d20 Modern class paradigm of basic and advanced classes? I admit I'm not too savvy with d20 Modern - I've looked through the book but never played - but I'm prepping to do a major rules overhaul for the homebrew that my group wants me to run and one of them suggested this as a possibility.

Does it take away from the D&D/Fantasy feel? Is there already a sourcebook that covers this? (I'm aware of d20 Past, but havent had a chance to look at it) Has anyone done it on their own and have suggestions or something I can look at?

Thanks!

iwatt

First Post
igavskoga said:
Has anyone out there tried to run D&D/Fantasy using the d20 Modern class paradigm of basic and advanced classes? I admit I'm not too savvy with d20 Modern - I've looked through the book but never played - but I'm prepping to do a major rules overhaul for the homebrew that my group wants me to run and one of them suggested this as a possibility.

Does it take away from the D&D/Fantasy feel? Is there already a sourcebook that covers this? (I'm aware of d20 Past, but havent had a chance to look at it) Has anyone done it on their own and have suggestions or something I can look at?

Thanks!

Doesn't Grim tales do this?

igavskoga

First Post
iwatt said:
Doesn't Grim tales do this?

Not a clue iwatt, but I'll look into it - forgot about Grim Tales, thanks for reminding me.

Originally I was thinking about using IH but I eventually decided that the power curve was much steeper than I wanted, and I slowly got turned off to skill groups. I like 'em, but not what I want for the feel of this particular homebrew.

iwatt

First Post
igavskoga said:
Originally I was thinking about using IH but I eventually decided that the power curve was much steeper than I wanted, and I slowly got turned off to skill groups. I like 'em, but not what I want for the feel of this particular homebrew.

Myself, I don't think I can go back to 2 skill pints per level and cross class skills. I think I could live without skill groups, but it would be painful. :D

igavskoga

First Post
iwatt said:
Myself, I don't think I can go back to 2 skill pints per level and cross class skills. I think I could live without skill groups, but it would be painful. :D

Oh fear not, no class will have that few skill points. Planning on no class/cross-class skills and jacking up the number of skillpoints that classes get pretty much across the board. Also, stealing the Skill Mastery feat from AGOT (gives you 9 skill points every time you take it). Also wik- feat every level. :]

Skills will be covered, believe you me. :D

Likely using the MaA instead of the Fighter as well, or at least liberally melding the two. Just can't resist. :cool:

But yeah - figured that the base class/advanced class setup could be an interesting way to do things, I just have no experience with it so I decided to go fishing for some opinions.

Ranger REG

Explorer
igavskoga said:

Thanks!
Google "Classically Modern" and "Merlin's Workshop."

Considering that d20 Modern has low-magic FX, it will feel less than D&D.

igavskoga

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Google "Classically Modern" and "Merlin's Workshop."

Done - unfortunately the Merlin's Workshop website is unreachable. Is there anywhere else that hosts the files, it definitely seems like something I'll want to take a look at.

igavskoga said:

Thanks!

I ran a d20 Three Kingdoms campaign using d20 Modern rules. It works well, but I didn't try to use magic.

Rules changes were minimal - I can't stress this enough. I had to change Sunder (overpowered) and make some archery feats (since archery is underpowered) - those are the only two changes that occur to me. One character even used Demolitions (China has a long history of explosives, going back tot he Three Kingdoms period).

I seriously considered converting the 2e mind flayer adventures to d20 Modern at one point - it would work.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Grim Tales expands the 10 level base classes of d20modern to 20 levels and does away with advanced classes. It adds most (all?) D&D class abilities as feats or talents, and has a new magic system.

IIRC Classically Modern takes the 10 level base classes and introduces advanced classes for fighter, rogue, wizard etc, but its a long long time since I last saw it.

igavskoga

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
I ran a d20 Three Kingdoms campaign using d20 Modern rules.

I'm not looking to run a D&D campaign using d20 Modern rules. I've got a host of houserules, personal tweaks, and variant rules to maul my 3.5e base with - I was more looking for something interesting to do with classes. I'd only be taking the class structure from d20 Modern, probably not anything else.

That said, the fact that you used d20 Modern to run a fantasy-ish game set in the Three Kingdoms is encouraging.

How did the PC's work out being combinations of Strong/Tough/Charismatic/etc/etc? It didn't feel a little bizarre?

Plane Sailing said:
Grim Tales expands the 10 level base classes of d20modern to 20 levels and does away with advanced classes.

Unfortunately that's not really what I'm looking for. What made me curious is the idea of the base classes as an underlying foundation to advanced classes. Still can't hurt to flip through Grim Tales though and see what it has to say.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads