(D20 Modern) Coreline: Imagine the impossibilities (interest check/pre-game thread).

Gideon020

First Post
Cool, I got a character written up (thanks to a rather nice character creation site), so all I need to wait for is the game to start.

Btw, where do I send the character sheet? Its a PDF if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

Gideon020

First Post
Meet John Cropes

No prob, I'll put it here once I have it organized. EDIT: Okay, he's ready to go, feel free to tear him apart if there are bits that you think need changing, like I said I'm a newbie at making characters.

John Cropes
Human (Egghead Frank)
Male
Smart Hero 6
Representing Gideon020
Speaks in Yellow

Strength 15 (+2)
Dexterity 14 (+2)
Constitution 13 (+1)
Intelligence 19 (+4)
Wisdom 16 (+3)
Charisma 12 (+1)

Size: Medium
Height: 6' 6"
Weight: 230 lb
Eyes: Dark Brown
Hair: Gray
Skin: Pale

Talents:
Savant -- computer use
Savant -- investigate
Savant -- search

Total Hit Points: 23
Speed: 30 feet
Armor Class: 17 = 10 + 2 [class] +2 [dexterity] +3 [current equipment]
Touch AC: 14
Flat-footed: 15

Initiative modifier: +2
Fortitude save: +3
Reflex save: +4
Will save: +3
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Defense Bonus: +2

Action points: 39 (lifetime)

Light load: 66 lb. or less
Medium load: 67-133 lb.
Heavy load: 134-200 lb.
Lift over head: 200 lb.
Lift off ground: 400 lb.
Push or drag: 1000 lb.

Investigative (starting occupation)
Computer Use
Investigate

Feats:
Armor Proficiency (light)
Attentive
Cautious
Meticulous
Advanced Firearms Proficiency
Simple Weapon Proficiency [free]
Gearhead
Personal Firearms Proficiency
Vehicle Expert

Skill Modifiers:
Computer Use 22 = +4 +9 +1 [Investigative] +2 [gearhead] +6 [savant]
Disable Device 10 = +4 +4 +2 [cautious]
Drive 6 = +2 +2 +2 [vehicle expert]
Forgery 12 = +4 +6 +2 [meticulous]
Investigate 22 = +4 +9 +1 [Investigative] +2 [attentive] +6 [savant]
Knowledge (current events) 8 = +4 +4
Listen 6 = +3 +3
Repair 13 = +4 +7 +2 [gearhead]
Search 20 = +4 +8 +2 [meticulous] +6 [savant]
Sense Motive 5 = +3 +2 [attentive]
Treat Injury 6 = +3 +3
Read/Write Language:
-English (Native)
-Russian
Speak Language:
-English (Native)
-Russian

Current Inventories: The following consist of what John is carrying on his person and in his backpack.

Personal Inventory:
+Clothing:
-Casual Clothes
-Hooded Windbreaker Jacket in Forest Camo (+2 to Hide checks in forest terrain)
-Gloves
+Armor:
Undercover Vest [light; +3 AC; max dex +5; check penalty -2; 3 lb.]
+Weaponry:
-Old style CZ 75 with Mastercraft +1, Autoloader Module, and Spring-loaded Gadgets.
A Cold War-era Czech 9mm Autoloader that John found in the bottom of his backpack when he scavenged it from a wrecked car, along with a number of expanded magazines.
Magazine: 25 box
Critical: 20
Size: Small
Damage Type: Ballistic
Weight: 3 lb.
Range Increment: 30 ft.
Rate of Fire: S
Restriction: Lic (+1)

-Custom .45-caliber USP "Blacktail" with Mastercraft +1, Laser Sight (+1 to Attack Rolls), Tactical Flashlight (Blinds opponents within 5 feet)
Found on a dead man, it now serves as John's personal sidearm.
Magazine: 15 box
Size: Small
Weight: 2 lb.
Range Increment: 30 ft.
Rate of Fire: S
Restriction: Lic (+1)

-Custom H&K G36K Assault Rifle "Initiative Special" with Mastercraft +2, Laser Sight, Collimator Sight (+2 to Attack Rolls 5-20 feet above range increment), Folding Stock (+1 to Conceal) and Suppressor (Listen Check of DC 15 to find the shooter's location).
The only weapon John was carrying when he appeared on Coreline, it's his pride and joy.
Magazine: 50 box
Size: Large
Weight: 8 lb.
Range Increment: 80 ft.
Rate of Fire: S, A
Restriction: Res (+2)

Miscellaneous:
+Sunglasses
+Shoulder Holster: USP
+Concealed Carry Holster: CZ 75
+Driver's License (wallet)
+Weapon and Ammo Licenses (wallet)
+Cellphone (hip holder)
+PDA (same hip holder as cellphone)
+Backpack containing the following:
-IR Raincloak (+5 to Opposed Spot Checks using IR Vision)
-A box of disposable latex gloves
-First Aid Kit (3 lb)
-Forgery Kit
-Deluxe Evidence Kit (8 lb)
-10 Expanded Box Magazines for the CZ 75 (5 lb)
-10 Box Magazines for the USP with standard ammo (5 lb)
-10 Box Magazines of 50 standard rounds for the G36K (front pocket of backpack)
-5 Box Magazines of 50 Memory Plastic Shredder rounds for the G36K (front pocket of backpack)
-Quick Release Holder for G36K Assault Rifle (Left side of backpack)

Total Weight carried: 37 lbs.

Ammo Damage Die and details:
-Standard Ammo: Standard duty load, a lead cartridge with a copper penetrating core.
USP: 3d6 Ballistic
CZ 75: 2d6 Ballistic
G36K: 2d8 Ballistic
-Memory Plastic Shredder Rounds: High-power pre-notched Magnum rounds made of a high-density memory plastic that split into multiple star-shaped pieces inside the body, causing extreme trauma inside the body.
G36K: 3d10+2 Ballistic/Slashing

Wealth:
Starting Wealth Bonus: +10
Purchases:
-Licenses (-4 Wealth)
Wealth Bonus by level 6: +7

Back Story:
John Cropes was made in a lab as part of a Cold War artificial human project known as Initiative One and he served as an investigator, sniffing out possible spies and finding information that his masters could use to trap them.

After the 23 Hours, Cropes appeared on Coreline soon after the Initiative was shut down, and he had been working as an independent investigator. He simply shrugged and got back to work.

John typically works as an independent investigator, sometimes showing up with a fake ID in order to take part in finding criminals and bringing them to justice and his quiet determination sometimes can be helpful to the morale of other investigators.

When the situation calls for it or if he is approached by a representative, he will often (temporarily) join groups such the F-SWTI to take advantage of their crime labs and databases not only for the job, but also to search for the tell-tale signs that other Initiative One artificial humans have crossed over onto Coreline.

Personality:
John is a quiet person, but he has been known to make often snarky comments and swear under his breath, particularly when he is forced to enter combat and this is when he is not investigating a crime scene as an independent investigator.

On the job, John follows three rules that he never breaks:
1. Never be without equipment and weapons.
2. Stay Focused on the Job.
3. Never get emotional.

These rules have saved John's life on more than one occasion and he isn't about to break them at any point, but he is usually willing to be flexible if he is given a decent enough reason.

Physical Details:
John is a fairly compact person for his height, much of his physical weight due to his denser than normal muscles though he keeps himself fit and he usually dresses in clothing that doesn't get him noticed; dark denim jeans, a pair of battered Doc Martins, and a dark long-sleeved shirt along with his forest-camo patterned hooded windbreaker.
He does have several features that stand out to anyone who notices them. First is the Initiative ID Barcode Tattoo on his left bicep and his former Initiative designation 'John 12 Delta' underneath it. The second is an old scar running down his back from a job in the Ukraine back in his old universe that was the result of torture by GRU agents.
However, what does make him stand out, particularly in the few times he's been in London, is that he has an uncanny facial similarity to the actor Christopher Eccleston. The following is the only known picture of John taken while he was aiding Scotland Yard in a forensics case in an uncredited capacity:
galleccleston-7312.jpg

John has of course played down his similarity, stating that Eccleston existed in his reality as an MI6 operative so it was natural for the Initiative to use his DNA in their creation process, but it is indicative of how John has his hair cut, preferring short crewcuts that he considers 'more manageable and less chance of creating crime-scene contamination'.

Other details:
As a artificial human, John was engineered to live longer than normal humans, appearing in his twenties when he is actually in his fifties and still operating in his prime, while his current personality is the result of years of drug therapy being flushed from his system.

He never talks about his past life, and is more concerned about what the future holds, viewing the past only as a learning experience.

Quotes:
"Another day, another cadaver."
"Don't these freaks have anything better to do than play Butcher?"

"...Jack the Ripper probably copied off this guy."

Last edited:

Looks cool. He's accepted.

One little request, though: a description or picture would be nice-although for some reason I keep picturing Christopher Eccleston saying 'another day, another cadaver' with a way that is so 180 from the Doctor.

Gideon020

First Post
Damn, knew I forgot something. I'll put in a physical description now.

EDIT: Picture and physical description added, and he does look better appearing as Eccleston, I always saw him looking like David Hayter initially.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
I apologize for my long silence.

I also apologize for my news. I feel a little like I'm kicking a puppy... :(

But I will have to withdraw. Even if there were more than just two players, I'm finding I have my hands full with the games I'm already in. I was biting off more than I could chew when I posted here.

It sounds like a very interesting and cool concept though. I hope it catches on.

Good luck!

Remove ads