• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Modern Dark*Matter hardcover from WotC?!?

Matthew L. Martin said:
Actually, if d20 Spectaculars is cancelled, I'd view it more likely that the whole d20 Modern line has been killed
I agree with this. I don't understand why Wizards would flush the investment in time and salary they've already made on d20 Spectaculars unless they've decided that d20M books as a whole are no longer financially viable.

KoOS

JPL

Adventurer
King of Old School said:
I agree with this. I don't understand why Wizards would flush the investment in time and salary they've already made on d20 Spectaculars unless they've decided that d20M books as a whole are no longer financially viable.

KoOS

That seems to me like an awfully big leap. d20 Spectaculars is off the schedule for now, d20 Dark Matter just got added...reports of d20 Modern's demise seem premature at this point.

JPL said:
That seems to me like an awfully big leap.
They've already invested time and money in the product, so why pull it off the schedule otherwise? It's the most logical leap, albeit there could be other explanations.

I'm also not convinced that d20D*M is a bona fide product.

KoOS

JPL

Adventurer
King of Old School said:
They've already invested time and money in the product, so why pull it off the schedule otherwise? It's the most logical leap, albeit there could be other explanations.

I'm also not convinced that d20D*M is a bona fide product.

KoOS

Because it's not ready. Because it needs changes. Because they are taking the line in a different direction. Because they decided to expand it into a hardcover. Because they decided to make it a standalone game. Because they just got the Marvel RPG license.

Certainly, though, if you don't think D*M is bona fide, then your theory becomes more logical.

Ranger REG

Explorer
JPL said:
Because it's not ready. Because it needs changes. Because they are taking the line in a different direction. Because they decided to expand it into a hardcover. Because they decided to make it a standalone game. Because they just got the Marvel RPG license.

Certainly, though, if you don't think D*M is bona fide, then your theory becomes more logical.
JPL got some valid points. If anything they may have already paid for the submitted [draft] work but have put on hold any editing, design layout, artworks, and reschedule printer appointment. Those latter tasks (and human resource) may now be reassigned toward the d20 Modern/Dark*Matter project.

Of course, personally, if a Star*Drive project is in development, I'd rather they reassign those tasks from d20 Spectaculars and Dark*Matter to it. :]

Roudi

First Post
For those of you who, like me, skimmed the text to find the give-away (I missed it at forst and thought it might be among the German portion of the interview):
Wolfgang Baur said:
Likewise, Dark*Matter was ham-strung mostly by the Alternity rules set, which never did as well as we hoped it might. The setting itself is still active and will ship as a d20 Modern book later this year.
I don't know how credible Baur's knowledge of WotC happenings may be, but that's a pretty heavy endorsement towards the veracity of this rumour. Speculate away, folks!

arscott

First Post
At this point, I think it's pretty clear that the d20 Dark•Matter book was being worked on. But given what's going on with spectaculars, and seeing as it's apparently been removed from the product catalog, the question is "Will it ever come out?"

And "Drunk Southern Women with Guns" was a Dark•Matter story hour. It's hands-down the best story hour I've ever read.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads