• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Modern Eberron

Chaoszero

First Post
My friend is getting tired of swords and sorcery and wants d20 modern. I said
I was uninspired by such a prospect, then he says "What if it was set in Eberron?"

So here's my plan; set d20 modern (using Urban Arcana) in an Eberron 300-400 years into the future. All modern conveniences are there, they just are different in a Terry Gilliam kind of way. Technology has taken over magic as a cheaper and faster means of manufacturing mass goods.

-Power sources don't come from electricity or oil, it comes from power cells fueled by dragonshards. Firearms shoot bullets charged with lightning or fire.

-The ELU (Elemental Liberation Union) has formed and caused the four nations to outlaw binding elementals to items and recognizing their sentience.

-The dragonmarked houses are still going strong, with their control of technology, media and travel. They have gone under a number of "rebranding" and modernization periods. There are 12 tv channels, each owned by a house, having to operate under the guidelines of the PMC (Phiarlan Media Commission). There (of course) is one other station, pirated by hackers to expose the truth of the houses' corruption.

-After the cause of the Day of Mourning was found to be arcane-related, the four nations passed laws to closely manage mages and magic. All magic, now called Theoretical Reality Engineering, is liscenced and closely monitored by the Thuranni Center of Esoteric Management. There is one surviving school of magic in the Four nations; Arcanix University.

-Sarlona went under a major reform in the aftermath of the Inspired Wars seventy years ago after the Galifar Alliance called Rierdra out due to humanoid rights violations. The inspired now rule the nation in a more subtle mannor and only volunteers become one of their ranks. The true secret of the dreaming dark is still largely secret from most ears however, so the nation is biding their time with a thin facade of diplomacy and trade with Khorvaire.

-The Demon Wastes have been quarentined by the Demon Wall, created by House Cannith.

These are my initial ideas.
Any thoughts, or addendums? I would love more input.

Vorput

First Post
Heh, this all sounds awesome. Especially

-The ELU (Elemental Liberation Union) has formed and caused the four nations to outlaw binding elementals to items and recognizing their sentience.

All magic, now called Theoretical Reality Engineering, is liscenced and closely monitored by the Thuranni Center of Esoteric Management.

Just some more things to think about:

Have Warforged been accepted as Sentient beings yet, with all the rights that entails?

Have the nations been at peace this whole time? Any wars happen in the meantime between nations?

With the technology now available, has Argonnessen or Xen'drik been explored yet?

Surely some races/lands will be less receptive to technology- like the halflings and the monster homeland. Has that caused any conflicts?

The control and supervision of magic has probably led to a stagnation of the art- only few consider it worth their time. You probaly need a license and have to pay taxes based upon the spell cast. Meanwhile the Lords of the dust and the Daelkyr bide their time, waiting till the nations are too weak to withstand them.

How have the various religions handled the modern age? How about undead?

Just some more things and questions to jog your imagination!

ssampier

First Post
Sounds neat.

It sounds like you are modeling this on 1950's US.

A few suggestions from real-world era:

Korean war

A dragonmark house is starting wars in Xen'drik with the local drow. Breland does not the war to escalate and sends troops. PCs are encouraged to help either defend the drow or fight against the Breland occupation.

Monster comic books

A series of comic book are created detailing an invasion from Xoriat. Of course the author knows more and claims to be a former captive of the daelkyr. Someone is trying to silence him.

Zilargo

Due to wars and other strife, gnomes live throughout Khorvaire. There is a anti-gnomish sentiment in many communities. Many gnomes desire to return to Zilargo, re-establishing their permanent home.

This simple political party is occused of undermining governments and conspiring with the dragonmarked houses.

Pcs could belong to the eberron equivalent of CIA. Breland and Sharn set this agency up. They could sent to Xen'drik or Sarlona to spy on their activities.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads