• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 Modern in 2007?

mcrow

Explorer
I'm not worried. There will be plenty of excellent thirdparty stuff coming out for a long time. WoTC will likely do reprint of the core rules periodically, if & until they decide to go with a new system.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
buzz said:
I check the Amazon rankings almost weekly, and I have yet to see a week go by where there wasn't at least one WotC d20M book in the Gaming Top 100. E.g., right now, the d20M core book is at 51 (Amazon rank #15,950 in books), d20F is at 96 (rank #36,037).

Mind you, for d20M core, that's still 15,388 ranks behind the top-selling D&D book (currently Complete Scoundrel at #562).

Ergo, by the standards of any company other than WotC, d20M has done very well. However, we are talking about WotC, so they're going to gauge by their own standards. That said, I still think that d20M has done well enough, even in WotC terms, to justify a new book now and then. IMO, a revised d20M core book would be low-hanging fruit.

I think we all tend to forget that there is a larger population out there playing RPGs that don't participate actively or even at all on sites like EN World, or don't use the Internet in any capacity at all related to playing the game.

Wolv0rine

First Post
jaerdaph said:
I think we all tend to forget that there is a larger population out there playing RPGs that don't participate actively or even at all on sites like EN World, or don't use the Internet in any capacity at all related to playing the game.
I...

*rolls*

Yep, I Disbelieve. :D

buzz

Adventurer
jaerdaph said:
I'm not sure what this has to do with my quoted post.

Ranger REG

Explorer
OStephens said:
If there are no more d20 Modern books from WotC, it's going to be interesting to see if OGL support can keep a game going for 3rd party publishers, or not. This may be our first test case, and the results could even impact how many things WotC releases into the OGl in the future. Or... not.
I dunno. d20 Modern brand is not as popular as D&D brand. TSR thought their company brand have as much equity as their product brand, but they thought wrong.

Plus, I don't see a mass flood of D&D customers buying d20 Modern. Only droplets.

If you're counting on third-party companies to carry the d20 Modern "banner," only a few are motivated but restricted by their own resources.

Last edited:

buzz

Adventurer
Ranger REG said:
I dunno. d20 Modern brand is not as popular as D&D brand.
No TRPG brand is as popular as D&D. None even come close. That doesn't man a non-D&D brand can't still be profitable.

For an RPG that is not D&D, d20M is doing pretty well. The question is, is it doing well enough in WotC's eyes to continue publishing product.

I wonder if the best thing for d20M would be for a publisher to buy the rights from WotC and start publishing it.

I also think a Dungeon Magzaine for d20M would be very helpful also.

But I gave up on d20M and went back to D&D. What with the Adventure Paths in Dungeon, et al.

Remove ads