• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 Modern & Magic/Races

rwenderlich

First Post
Hey guys,

I've been into D&D for about a year now - but that's the only RPG I played. The system is getting a little stale for me and I'd like to try something new - so I picked up D20 Modern. I like that the system has the same core rules as D&D but has some freshness to it (makes transitioning easier) - but the thing I don't like about it is the professions seem so "boring" since you're just a little weak human - doesn't seem the same level of heroic quality as a Elf Wizard, etc. ;]

So I've been experimenting with the "FX" abilities and advanced classes in D20 modern - and that helps make it more interesting. But I still miss being able to pick different races than human, and the FX abilities doesn't seem as deep or as interesting of a system as the spells in D&D.

SO, what I'm wondering is a) is D20 Modern right for me at all or is there something better, and b) is there some sort of additional D20 rulebook that has more magic/race stuff that people would recommend?

Also - my group likes heroic but lighthearted adventures, so post-apocolyptic/horror campaigns are out.

Thanks!!

rwenderlich

First Post
Thanks guys - both of those sound really interesting - especially the Classically Modern stuff - I never would have found that without your heads up, so thanks :]

Arkhandus

First Post
Also, keep in mind that d20 Modern is so very similar to 3rd Edition D&D in stats and such that you can pretty easily import anything from D&D to d20M if you like. Want to play a half-ogre Charismatic Hero 1/Strong Hero 1 businessman turned professional wrestler for the heck of it (heh)? No problem.

Heck, if you check out d20 Future (I'm not sure if it's in the Future Races/Aliens or whatever section of the SRD, or not), the last chapter (Xenobiology) has a sidebar on playing the Weren race at 1st-level despite their +1 ECL/LA, which you could sorta use for other such races with a +1 level adjustment.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Check out Postmodern: Fantastic Classes. Seriously. If you want to stick with d20 Modern, and still do those things, that's the book (well, PDF) for you.

For races, you can use Urban Arcana, as mentioned upthread (I'm pretty sure it covers PC races) or grab them from somewhere else (like say, the next thing I'll suggest looking into) or just make them up, which shouldn't be hard. Base them on the D&D races, and perhaps alter very slightly for system conformity.

Another option is Fantasy Concepts, which is basically a 'Star Wars: Saga Edition' version of d20 fantasy, all in one. However, owning SWSE might be a good idea, from memory. Anyway, it definitely has races, classes, etc.

The d20 Modern option has more support than nearly any other, particularly if you don't mind PDFs.

Speaking of (other) PDFs, Elements of Magic - one of them - can be used for d20 Modern, and a fair few people do use it that way. Depends on your taste in magic systems though, of course.

Last edited:

Greg K

Legend
If you go with d20M, I would recommend the following books:

Modern Player's Companion (The Game Mechanics/Green Ronin (publisher)) Written by one or two of the designers. An explanation of why d20 Modern classes are structured differently than DND class, New Occupations and advanced classes and other stuff.

Blood and Fists (RPGObjects): A great system for martial arts. The author, Charles Ric, is, imo, the man when it comes to d20M material.

Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth (EN Publishing): an alternate magic system that handles magic differently from DND slot/levels.

Psychic's Handbook (Green Ronin): an alternate mental power system that treats powers of the mind differently from DND psionics.

Hot Pusuit and Hot Pursuit:On Foot (Adamant Games) : These books will help create great chases

Foe Factory: Modern (Adamant Games): Rules to help quickly generate NPCs for d20M.

Modern High (RPGObjects) : If you should ever want to run a campaign based around high student characters, this is the book (umm, pdf). It is a short pdf written by Charles Rice, author of Blood and Fists and a bunch of other great d20M sourcebooks. If I recall correctly, it costs between $2 and $3.

Remove ads