• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[d20 Modern] Need some fancy terminology for computer hardware

Len

Prodigal Member
JPL said:
That's what I'm looking for --- real-world stuff.

And I do like the idea that he's assembled his own system, but I'd still like to know the constituent parts.
Example of real-world jargon: Athlon XP 2400+ o/c'd to 11x200, with a gig of low-latency PC3200 DDR RAM to match. Not bleeding-edge unfortunately - I don't have a "formidable budget". With more money he'd have a current top-end CPU (Athlon 64 FX-55 or Pentium 4 EE) - water-cooled of course so he can overclock it as much as possible.

Plus, his "command center" will be littered with old equipment - some working, some not. (If I had a picture of my brother-in-law's basement I'd post it here. :) )

If he needs a Beowulf cluster, here's a picture of one.

Software: For network snooping, Trinity uses nmap.
When he needs to come up with a program in a hurry, he can whip up a perl script in a couple minutes.

richtrickey

First Post
While it might not help in actually naming specific pieces of hardware, I find the internet Jargon File extremely handy for coming up with techie sounding babble for my NPCs to use in speech, documents, etc.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/

Warning, it's a pretty big file, those on dial-up (like me :( ) will be there a while.

Remove ads