• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 modern or Spycraft 2.0

d20 modern or Spycraft 2.0

• Spycraft 2.0

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • d20 modern

Votes: 30 50.8%
  • other modern rpg ...explain

Votes: 4 6.8%

Gundark

Explorer
I have played a lot of Spycraft 1.0 and loved it. I was really digging what I was seeing of the new Spycraft. Lately I have been looking at d20 modren and all the splat book for it. Now I'm confused. What say ye enworlders? Which modern RPG is the superior one?

akchf

First Post
Spycraft > D20 Modern

I think the Fluid Intiative and dropping the multiple attacks based on BAB for a set number of actions are two of the things that elevate Spycraft above D20 Modern and D&D. The VP/WP system IMO also allows for more realistic combat. At least in the games I've run my players are a lot more adaptive to situations and intuitive in try to avoid combat, or minimize danger to themselves, unlike 95% of the time in D&D where they just charged head on through the next door....

Admittedly I still got the D20 Modern and Future books, to let me make a more futuristic game...

The Shaman

First Post
I haven't seen Spycraft yet, but I understand it's very good.

That said, Modern has the best class system I've played, hands down. Make mine Modern. :)

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I say get both and pick and choose the best from both.

When I first got my d20 Modern, a friend also picked up Spycraft 1.0. I find the feats in Spycraft about a million times better than the options offered in d20 Modern. Their action point system is also better than Modern. That aside, Modern has the simpler plug and play system from regular d20; you can take any d20 Module, make it Modern, and use it pretty much as is.

I also got the Urban Arcana and the "monster" books as well; very useful stuff in there.

Psion

Adventurer
System-wise, spycraft 2.0 is a generation beyond d20 modern. It's trivial to prepare NPCs and dramatic conflicts add a new dimension to the game.

d20 modern has great support, though. If there is an app that is going to drive your game (like Blood & Fists, Second World, or Dawning Star), it should be worth playing d20 modern.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads