D20 Modern or Spycraft II?

Morgenstern

First Post
The Shaman said:
In the United States, there is no presumption of sanity. ;)

Quoted for truth.

Back to Basics is looking to be a nifty little project. One of Alex's very nice couches is there are a few overlap knacks - chains that two basic classes both have acess to. It deliberately creates a little bleed over where the six basic concepts come closest to each other and increases the flexibility of each class for accomplishing your goals when taken separately.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Psion said:
At this time, Spycraft 2.0 is at the top of the hot seller's list over at RPGnow.

Well done, guys!
Yeah, I intend to get the PDF this week. I am also waffling on getting the new printing when it comes out, even though I already own two copies of the first printing. (One got water damaged, and became my 'loaner copy'. I remember the odd feeling of non-annoyance when I discovered the damage, deciding instantly that I was buying a second copy... I think that subconciously I had already made that decision, the water damage was merely an excuse...)

If I do I will give away the water damaged copy to one of my players, with the stipulation that they run a game of it so I can get to play!

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* As an aside, I gather that the biggest change is to the Gear rules. And the new rules are included with the free errata on the Crafty Games website. Thanks guys! :)

The Auld Grump

Morgenstern

First Post
I would describe the biggest change as the presentation. The errata got folded in but a fair amount of that was stray typos. The silver ghosted images behind the text are turned way down for those who were having trouble separating them from the text as they read, and the gear tables have been combined to eliminate the page flipping problems - it reduced the overall number of charts in that chapter by about a third. The gear rules didn't change all that much (just the bits of errata that we had before hand, including reinserting the missing jet fighter and hand gun). The reduction in tables in turn freed up a couple pages of space for a new description of gearing up - a much more step-by-step explination that should beat down that "first time out confusion" that was a bit too common among new players :confused:.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Morgenstern said:
I would describe the biggest change as the presentation. The errata got folded in but a fair amount of that was stray typos. The silver ghosted images behind the text are turned way down for those who were having trouble separating them from the text as they read, and the gear tables have been combined to eliminate the page flipping problems - it reduced the overall number of charts in that chapter by about a third. The gear rules didn't change all that much (just the bits of errata that we had before hand, including reinserting the missing jet fighter and hand gun). The reduction in tables in turn freed up a couple pages of space for a new description of gearing up - a much more step-by-step explination that should beat down that "first time out confusion" that was a bit too common among new players :confused:.

Hmmm, not having seen the new printing I will pass on making comments on the watermarks, etc. (I never had any problem with them. I rather like them :) ) But the Gear rules, while not mechanically changed much, are outlined in a much clearer fashion - so I would still call it changes to the rules, not the rules mechanics, but the way you progress through them.

It took your 'teddy bear' post on the old Spycraft forums tp allow me to make sense of them. I was being eaten by the teddy bear. :p Thanks for that post by the way, I have used it more than once to help players through the system.

The Auld Grump

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
Finally finished my d20Modern conversion of the Spycraft 2.0 NPC creation system.

So far, limited testing suggests its working as intended.

If anybody is interested I'll split off its own thread and post up a pdf.

--fje

buzz

Adventurer
Morgenstern said:
I would describe the biggest change as the presentation...
I fully intend to pick up a copy of the new printing at GenCon prior to the Farthest Star event for which I signed up. Doubly so, now that I've read the above.

My original copy will likely become a prize for a future Chicago Gameday. I got it for free (effectively; Amazon gift cert), so I might as well pass on the love.

Remove ads