• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 Modern Spectaculars Canceled

PoppaGunch

First Post
Just got a message from the distributor, and it seems that this book has been canceled. Not sure if anyone was anticipating it (I was), but I figured I would let people know.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Wow, this was posted an hour and a half ago and nothing.

If this is true, the lack of reaction is a decent enough clue to me that WotC did the right thing...

Jim Hague

First Post
I'm going to wait and see - this wouldn't be the first time a distributor's been either wrong or outright lied about books coming out.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Jim Hague said:
I'm going to wait and see - this wouldn't be the first time a distributor's been either wrong or outright lied about books coming out.
Very True. I just expected this kind of announcement to garner more (any) response. :shrug:

jezter6

Explorer
I think that d20 Spectaculars was never very popular on the boards. Even the speculation threads over on the WotC boards were shut down due to M&M talk.

Supers has been done by another company, and done extremely well. It would suprise me to think they would cancel a product on that basis, but another part of me hopes they took notice to M&M and realized they were stepping into big footsteps.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
jezter6 said:
I think that d20 Spectaculars was never very popular on the boards. Even the speculation threads over on the WotC boards were shut down due to M&M talk.

Supers has been done by another company, and done extremely well. It would suprise me to think they would cancel a product on that basis, but another part of me hopes they took notice to M&M and realized they were stepping into big footsteps.
Honestly, I didn't see Spectactulars and M&M directly competing. After all, anyone that was looking for a supers game likely already uses M&M, Blood and Viligance, HERO, or some other supers game. The only game I saw it directly competing against was Blood and Vigilance, since they both use the D20 Modern system.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Cheezehog said:
didn't Hasbro recently aquire the rights to produce marvel products? If so, maybe WotC is working on a Marvel RPG.
I haven't heard that, but I also haven't paid much attention to Hasbro beyond WotC's dealings.

arscott

First Post
Kanegrundar said:
Wow, this was posted an hour and a half ago and nothing.

If this is true, the lack of reaction is a decent enough clue to me that WotC did the right thing...
I was going to wait for confirmation before I started ranting. Wizards has always struck me as on-top-of-things enough to not let a book get this far down the production line before axing it.

Wouldn't it be pretty much at the printers by this point?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads