• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 Modern - What are your house rules?

Peterson

First Post
genshou said:
Peterson, how do your called shot rules work? I'm desirous to hear more.

Contact me via email (located in sig), genshou.

Also, I forgot that I also have house-rules making Power Armor more in line with what I consider traditional power armor - nothing like what d20 Future did.

All in all, I probably have a good 60+ pages of house rules that I can use at any time, depending on what style of game we're playing.

That's not to say I don't think the d20 Modern game is flawed - I'm just saying that there are times it doesn't quite match what my players (or myself) am looking for as written.

Personally, I think d20 Modern is one of the tightest systems out there - but then, I'm probably just naive. ;)

Peterson

Khorod

First Post
Here is a subset of rules that haven't been discussed, starting with the mindset-changing campaign philosophy for the first bunch.

Philosophy

In the modern world, experience counts for a good deal. But once you hit a certain point, you are pretty much locked in place as an individual. Some people takes years of life experience to get there. Others are just naturally gifted at most everything they do, and even as rookies have the ability to match veterans in most respects.

In short, the competence of people, and their heroic quality, is 95% innate once they become adults.

It is unlikely that you will level more than three or four times in the life-time of your character after they are made, unless I am purposefully running a game for junior characters.

House Rules

* I use retroactive skill point gain for Intelligence increase. These skill points must be spent through a process of formal training. You do not suffer skill loss retroactively, but you might no longer understand how your skills work.
* At every age category, you may shift up to your Intelligence bonus times your Character Level in skills between all skills in which you have at least one rank. This represents changing priorities or interests as your life progresses.
* Action points will be handed out for heroism and thorough success in challenges that did not depend on Action Points for victory.
* Every three months (quarterly period), that a character spends predominantly on his 'day-job' will be treated as leveling for purposes of finances. That is, new Profession checks and all that.

Favor: This talent represents the possession of a wider contact network. Your favor bonus may freely be used as a bonus to Gather Information checks. This is in addition to any circumstance bonuses for taking advantage of your character's background, dayjob, or named associates.

Finesse Style: At Character Creation, anyone may choose to use Finesse Style. This means that with Finesseable weapons, they always use Dexterity instead of Strength for the Attack Bonus. You suffer a non-proficiency penalty for trying to use the other ability score with a weapon.

The Weapon Finesse feat (now called Weapon Style) makes you in a sense 'ambidextrous', letting you use Dexterity or Strength, whichever is more convenient. This does not allow you to use Dextery properly with non-finesseable weapons, such an attempt results in a -4 nonproficiency penalty.

Take Aim: As per Dead Aim, but only within 30'. Scopes and other targeting aids expand this range. With the Dead Aim feat you may Take Aim to any visible range, and the bonuses to hit becomes +3.

genshou

First Post
Khorod said:
* I use retroactive skill point gain for Intelligence increase. These skill points must be spent through a process of formal training. You do not suffer skill loss retroactively, but you might no longer understand how your skills work.
D'oh! How did I forget that one! It's one of the best changes I've ever made!

1) I don't use AoO.
2) Knowledge (Current Events) and Knowledge (Pop Culture) are Class skills.
3) If taking only a 5 ft adjust move, use another attack action instead of a move action. (Don't think this is a book rule.)

Roudi

First Post
Oh yeah! I almost forgot. Almost every material I've ever created sees use (or is planning to see use) in my games. This includes:

- Advanced Classes for Ordinaries from MODERNIZED Issue #1 (I also use Jason Tondo's AdvCfO's from MODERNIZED Issue #2).

- The C-Aug Soldier from MODERNIZED Issue #2 hasn't seen use yet, but I think I can work one into my current campaign.

- Near-Future Firearms equips most of my bad guys.

- I pull some monsters (and some of Ralts' organizations) from Quickshots: Mission File Charlie

Also, as you can tell by my sig, my gaming table is dominated by RPGObjects material.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Like Tacky: Turn MDT to "Con score or Current Hit Points" to enable 1st level guys to knock each other out with subdual damage.

Wealth: items of DC 15+ don't automatically lose you 1 wealth for purchasing them or give you 1 wealth for selling them.

Probably a couple of others.

I apparently adopted a new house rule this Friday, since a player misunderstood what 'remain conscious' did. He thought he wouldn't pass out until he reached negative hit points equal to his Constitution. And so when a grenade did just enough damage to drop this 16 Con tough hero to -15 hit points, and he cheered that he was just barely alive, I could not steal his thunder by saying he was dead.

Oh, and I suppose I do have a fairly complex set of house rules for magic. So complex, in fact, that I wrote a book about them. See my sig. *wink*

The_Universe

First Post
I use a customized version of the Grim Tales chase rules, as culled from Spycraft. D20 Modern just isn't set up to deal with a chase, unless you have a HUGE map. I really like the grim tales system....

Psion

Adventurer
  • D&D style nonlethal damage (doesn't everyone buy Takyris? ;) )
  • Adapt the autofire rules from Arsenal, which are essentially similar to Dragonstar. The d20 modern autofire rules make no sense. (Frex, armor does not protect you from burst fire under the RAW.)
  • Use UA variants on action points.

Vigilance

Explorer
Psion said:
  • D&D style nonlethal damage (doesn't everyone buy Takyris? ;) )

• When I began my first Blood and Relics campaign as a way to learn the rules it took three players to explain to me how I was not running nonlethal damage according to the Modern RAW.

I literally couldnt wrap my head around them at first.

When I realized what the rules DID say I was like "what the heck were they thinking" and started using the standard D&D nonlethal damage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads