• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 Modern - What are your house rules?

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
genshou said:
Fellas, I'm all for continuing this discussion of the merits and drawbacks of d20 Modern's nonlethal damage system, but this isn't an appropriate thread. I've started a thread to continue the discussion here.
A very good idea. Sorry for the thread derailment on my part. To answer the question, I just finished up a D20 Modern campaign that lasted just about two years. The game used quite a few house rules, but most of them were for campaign specific reasons rather than dissatisfaction with the core rules.

First, I used the blood and fists rules from rpgobjects. If you're doing a D20 modern game with martial arts, this is the book to pick up. It is awsome.

Second, I used a modified version of non-lethal damage. It was very similar to Spycraft's subdual damage system, and it was a big hit with the characters. One part of the game was a boxing tournament with contestants from a mult-universe pool. We had a workout for these rules, and people were very happy with the results. Check out Spycraft for the details.

Third, I used a variant on action points where you could do more with them, which ended up being very similar to the Unearthed Arcana action point rules. I also let people put one action point per level into a special "focused" category. Those action points reset every game session, but you could only use them in special circumstances. This was another very popular rule.

Fourth, I instituted the fractional progression rules for bonuses based on character level that would eventually end up in Unearthed Arcana.

Fifth, I gave everyone a schtick, which was one skill where they were just better than anyone else. Another very popular rule.

Finally, I ended up reworking the gun rules extensively to make them more cinematic. I actually posted them to ENWorld before the last server migration and they were received reasonable well.

If anyone is interested in hearing more, just let me know!

--Steve

Starman

Adventurer
SteveC said:
First, I used the blood and fists rules from rpgobjects. If you're doing a D20 modern game with martial arts, this is the book to pick up. It is awsome.

How does Blood and Fists compare to Martial Arts Mayhem from The Game Mechanics?

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Starman said:
How does Blood and Fists compare to Martial Arts Mayhem from The Game Mechanics?
Blood and Fists uses the talents and feats system to make a martial arts character. Martial Arts Mayhem uses the system from Oriental Adventures where you get X, Y and Z feat + a and b skills and get a bonus.

I really like the way blood and fists does things better, since I think it uses the D20 Modern system of talent trees for it's approach. I'd say that Blood and Fists is also a much more "crunchy" approach, which not everyone will like. For example, as you pick (or design) your martial arts style, you pick things like punches, kicks and grapple as the favored part of the "art" so you don't get the same blanket immunities. In my campaign, there was a character who practiced panther martial arts, which were based around leaps, charges and kicks. This was entirely different from the boxer who was all punch and grab.

Hopefully that will make some sense, but if it doesn't check out the reviews of both books, psion did an excellent review that explains the options better than I could...

--Steve

ResurectedLlama

First Post
I always boost gun massive damge bonuses in my games and in others use my enhanced meelee combat system (for past games) and create my own magic system for all of them. I also add a shield skill and armor as damage reduction for my medieval games.

deltadave

First Post
The single largest change I've used is to implement the Grim and Gritty v4 rules. This changed the entire feel of the game. The characters are a lot more careful about who they pick fights with now. I also use a DC based casting system (The Art and Science of Causing Change).

DeBhaal

First Post
SteveC said:
A very good idea. Sorry for the thread derailment on my part. To answer the question, I just finished up a D20 Modern campaign that lasted just about two years. The game used quite a few house rules, but most of them were for campaign specific reasons rather than dissatisfaction with the core rules.

Second, I used a modified version of non-lethal damage. It was very similar to Spycraft's subdual damage system, and it was a big hit with the characters. One part of the game was a boxing tournament with contestants from a mult-universe pool. We had a workout for these rules, and people were very happy with the results. Check out Spycraft for the details.

Third, I used a variant on action points where you could do more with them, which ended up being very similar to the Unearthed Arcana action point rules. I also let people put one action point per level into a special "focused" category. Those action points reset every game session, but you could only use them in special circumstances. This was another very popular rule.

Fourth, I instituted the fractional progression rules for bonuses based on character level that would eventually end up in Unearthed Arcana.

Fifth, I gave everyone a schtick, which was one skill where they were just better than anyone else. Another very popular rule.

Finally, I ended up reworking the gun rules extensively to make them more cinematic. I actually posted them to ENWorld before the last server migration and they were received reasonable well.

If anyone is interested in hearing more, just let me know!

--Steve

Firstly, I have to agree with you about Blood and Fists, and not because I was one of the editors of the first version of it :)

Second, I agree with the fractional bonuses, and had the same idea before UA came out with it, and wasn't even aware tat UA came out with it till a few days ago.

Third .. I have to agree with some other posters, I would like to hear about this schtick skill that you implemented, it sounds like an interesting idea.

And finally ... I'd personally like to hear more about your more cinamatic gun rules.

If, ofcourse, you don't mind sharing.

EditorBFG

Explorer
I use the Reserve Points rules from Unearthed Arcana and Iron Heroes.

I have tweaked the Occupations some, mostly giving each a bonus feat and other little changes to balance them out more.

And I have used a lot of Spycraft-- especially the Chase rules and other dramatic conflict rules from Spycraft 2.0. Spycraft is rules-heavy, but that usually means that it has systems for things Modern doesn't. Especially in investigation-heavy games when you don't want it to just be Search rolls and Sense Motive vs. a Bluff. This is part of why Modern Player's Companion is so crucial for most Modern games, because they have Advanced Classes that deal with police-work and detective stuff, and most Modern games will interact with crime and the law a great deal.

When magic has come into any Modern game I've been involved in, Power Points have been substituted for Spells per Day.

And, obviously, I use Big Finger Games' POSTMODERN: The Versatile Hero and POSTMODERN: Traits and Flaws, which exist because we figured that Modern needed more character customization.

I like Modern a lot, but my chief complaint is that 1st level characters need to feel cooler to the players. A 1st level D&D character seems a lot cooler and more capable than a 1st level Modern character-- and mechanically, he usually is more capable.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads