• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 OGC Summoning Article [Dragon]

Cassander

First Post
I'd like to point everyone to http://www.arches.uga.edu/~caveneyd/ to see my very own article about summoning. This includes new spells, feats, and rules for summoning any creature in the Monster Manual and even tips on assigning spell level to other creatures. This has FF-style summoning, if that's what you're after!

Sound familiar? That's what I thought too! I actually write most of this article almost two years ago after my query letter to Dragon was approved. Unfortunately, my article was rejected since Dragon wasn't interested in the content. Partly this was because my elemental creatures were too similar to something which was in the works for MotP, partly because they feared I overpowered summoners (I've altered the rules balance since then, actually), and partly because cantrips were deemed to be useless by Dragon.

So, I guess you could say I was a little suprised when I saw the preview for issue 302! Not only does it say it'll contain rules very similar to mine, but it also will have an article on cantrips! I guess Dragon no longer considers them useless:)

Anyway, I figure I better get my article out finally before I receive my copy of issue 302. Nothing wrong with a little friendly competition, after all. All of my article was written before Dragon 302, and best of all, its d20 and completely OGC!

Take a look and tell me what you think. I'm a little curious about how WotC will reduce spell level to a formula based on CR, when CR and summoning spell level are entirely different (one must take into account spell level of spells castable by the summoned creature, to name just one example). I spent many, many, many hours working out the spell levels for the MM monsters.. I wonder how theyll compare to Dragon's formula.

Thanks for checking out my article... I hope you enjoy it!

Cassander

Last edited:

Zappo

Explorer
I've just read your article. It is very interesting! You might want to write something more about the use of the Planar Binding or Planar Ally spells, which I think are a must for anyone who wants to call himself a summoner. Sometimes 1 round/level just doesn't cut it, and sometimes when enough is enough you may want to call in a Pit Fiend or two.

Cassander

First Post
Forgot to mention that I removed all the fluff text that went with this.. originally I had these things presented in the contexts of books that could be found as well as an NPC Conjurer that had compiled them, but for this I decided to just publish the crunchy bits.

Zappo: Yes, conjuration is about more than just summoning.. calling is an interesting field, but this article is just for summoning. Haven't gotten any good inspiration for variations on the calling spells, but I'll keep the idea in mind. Hell, just making sure new fiends and celestials fit within the power of the Binding and Ally spells would do well since ya can bind those based on hit dice.

And for what it's worth, thanks for the welcome, though I have been on these boards in their various incarnations off and on since early 2000, about 6 months before 3e came out :) I just had to reregister again since I hadnt posted in long enough and I dont log in if I'm not posting. But it is true I havent read the boards much recently and when I have, I havent really posted.

Remove ads