• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Prime Directive

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Ranger REG said:
And you have a problem with this thing you called <air quotes> "virtual OGL"?

No problem, if anything the oposite...

...of course, the publisher has to say "requires the PHB (or core rules)" if they want the logo, no matter how much overlap there is.

Ranger REG

Explorer
TerraDave said:
No problem, if anything the oposite...

...of course, the publisher has to say "requires the PHB (or core rules)" if they want the logo, no matter how much overlap there is.
And by "overlap," you mean the repeating of material in the d20 product for convenience (mainly the skills and feats), or the fact that you have do back-n-forth referencing between two books?

Personally, I'm okay with the back-n-forth referencing. After all, if the PHB has it, why waste your own product's ink and pages to repeat them? Either you end up ballooning your product (and ergo, the price tag) or not having enough space for more relevant new campaign-specific material.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I guess what started all this was wondering how much you could/would want to use the PHB for something that seems as different as Prime Directive (vs. slapping on a D20 and just saying you need the PHB in small print). I suppose for some things it wouldn't matter, but we will have to see.

BPIJonathan

Explorer
TerraDave said:
I guess what started all this was wondering how much you could/would want to use the PHB for something that seems as different as Prime Directive (vs. slapping on a D20 and just saying you need the PHB in small print). I suppose for some things it wouldn't matter, but we will have to see.

You need the PHB to describe skills, feats and the character creation process. There is a master chart of available feats in the PD20 rulebook; those feats that do not appear in the PHB are described in the PD20 book. The same goes for skills. There are several new classes that appear in the PD20 book that are PD specific. There was really no need to reprint material that already appears in print in the PHB, I wanted to allow that space to be used for PD specific information.

scourger

Explorer
BPIJonathan said:
You need the PHB to describe skills, feats and the character creation process. There is a master chart of available feats in the PD20 rulebook; those feats that do not appear in the PHB are described in the PD20 book. The same goes for skills. There are several new classes that appear in the PD20 book that are PD specific. There was really no need to reprint material that already appears in print in the PHB, I wanted to allow that space to be used for PD specific information.

Good. I prefer to not have all the rules repeated. A few relevant additions are preferable, to me, than a revision & rewrite. From the description of the GPD book, it sounds like PD20 will have much more setting information than new rules.

Ranger REG

Explorer
BPIJonathan said:
Unless of course, the skills and feats are used differently in this game, like Repair Skill Check DCs for Warp Engines, Phaser banks, and whatnot.

Remove ads