• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 recoil rules and feats

aradinn

First Post
i was thinking... anyone got rules for recoil for d20 modern's firearms?
and revisions for the feats too
opinions greatly appreciated.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I don't know of any for d20 Modern, though there might be some. However, Spycraft (an excellent alternative modern system that's also built on d20 foundations) has rules for this.

But then, it has rules for just about everything. :) Pretty 'crunchy' (rules heavy) - it won't suit all tastes.

Sorry if that's no help, by the way - just thought I"d mention it. But there probably is a supplement (as a PDF, no doubt) that's exactly what you're looking for.

aradinn

First Post
thanks but the thing is...i'm unable to get spycraft and even getting d20 modern has been very difficult for me.
i'm just looking for alternative rules on it

ValhallaGH

Explorer
There are a couple sets out there, though I've never used them. The ones I remember having seen were pretty arbitrary.

They do exist. Good luck finding them. I haven't looked at them in years, so I'm not sure where to find them (though I remember seeing them online for free).

Psion

Adventurer
aradinn said:
thanks but the thing is...i'm unable to get spycraft and even getting d20 modern has been very difficult for me.

Well, if you can't get Spycraft (pity that), the way that the rules work are basically:

- All weapons have a recoil rating based on muzzle energy and size of the weapon (a small weapon with a large round has a higher rating than a rifle that might have a much larger round).
- The rating is compared to strength.
-- For single shot, having strength less the recoil rating earns you a -1 to hit
-- For fully automatic fire, the penalty is equal to the difference between the rating and strength.

Which abstracts quite a bit, but I find it a pretty workable and easy to use rule and helps keeps strength significant in a modern setting.

Nadaka

First Post
Alright, here they are...

Assumed rules
some form of Wounds/Vitality.

melee weapons
+1 die

Firearms
By default damage of all guns is increased by 1 die step.
2d4->2d6->2d8->2d10->2d12->2d20
The exception is the 5.7mm round used by the P90 and FiveseveN and the beowolf .50, they remain where they are.
12 gauge Shotguns also get an additional boost to 2d12, the 10 gauge is boosted to 2d12+2.

Penetration is an additional statistic that reduces the effectiveness of hardness.

Overpenetration is an additional statistic that improves the damage of high powered rifles against larger than human targets.

Autofire
Limitations:
No single burst or spray can use more bullets than the weapons current ammunition capacity. The Maximum Rate of Fire limites the total number of rounds that can be fired in a single round. Only automatic and semi-automatic firearms may use automatic fire options. No special training is required to use autofire, however to use it effectively it will take a few feats. a 3 round burst weapon always fires rounds in multiples of 3, it can also spray with only 9 rounds and burst with only 3.

New weapon statistics:
Maximum Rate of Fire
Limits the maximum number of rounds used per combat round. For automatic weapons it is equal to the weapons RPM / 10. For semi-auto weapons it typically ranges from 5 to 15 with occasional exceptions.

Recoil
Affects how many rounds strike a target of a burst or rake. The weapons recoil statistic is derived from a number of other factors. Recoil can never be reduced below 2

Base recoil = weapons average (non-critical) damage
semi-auto: +2
Size:
*tiny: +2
*Small: +1
*Medium: 0
*Large: -1
*Huge: -2
Using both hands: -2
Position:
*supported, prone, bipod etc: -1
*mounted vehicle or stationary: -2
Good recoil compensation: -1
To Light: +1
advance proficiency: -1 (also allows you to increase in rounds fired in increments of 2)
burst fire feat: -2 burst only (also allows an increase in rounds fired by any amount for bursts)
rake fire feat: -2 rake only (also allows an increase in rounds fired by any amount for rakes)

Rake: you fire 10 or more bullets into a 5x5ft area. Anyone in the area must make a reflex save with a DC of 5+(attack roll / 2) to negate damage. If the target fails by more than the recoil modifier of the shooter, the target is struck by a number of rounds equal to the difference between the save result and DC divided by the shooters recoil. Each additional hit deals full damage, but is also affected by the targets hardness/DR. For every 3 full rounds fired you can either increase the save DC by +1 or increase the area by +1 5ft square (must be adjacent to a previous square). You may increase the number of rounds fired in increments of 1d6.

Burst: a burst fires 5 or more bullets at a single target. For every 3 rounds fired, you gain a +1 bonus to hit. If you beat the targets Defence by more than the weapons recoil, additional bullets strike the target. The number of additional bullets that hit is the difference between Defence and the attack roll,divided by the recoil modifier. Each additional hit deals full damage, but is also affected by the targets hardness/DR. You may increase the number of rounds fired in increments of 1d6.

Penetration
Penetration is an abstract numerical value that defines how well a particular round defeats the hardness of objects and armor. Most modern firearms have a penetration of at least +1.

I do not yet have hard and fast rules for defining penetration. A good base line estimate is +1 for every 500 ft/s of the bullet. Another might be +1 for handguns, +2 for SMGs, +3 for carbines, +4 for rifles and more for high powered rifles.

Every point of penetration reduces the effective hardness of a target by 1.

Over Penetration
Over penetration represents the fact that many high powered rounds have vastly more kinetic energy than they can dump into an object as small and squishy as a human being. Over penetration is a multipier used by some highly penetrating rifle, machine gun and cannon rounds. It effectively multiplies the damage delt by a round to a target of sufficient size. Over penetration is the maximum potential multiplier applied to the damage. Below that, the actual damage multiplier is determined by the size of the target.

A high powered rifle round like a NATO 7.62 will have an overpenetration of x2. A .50 BMG might have an over penetration of x4. And a 120 mm SABOT might have an overpenetration of x10 to x20.

Size multiplier:
Small or less: none, these objects never use multipliers.
Medium: x1, only density multiplier is used.
Large: or larger: +1 for each 5ft of facing beyond 5ft (large = x2, huge = x4, etc)

Note: if using overpenetration rules, vehicles will need significantly more HP (at least as much is suggested by the hp/inch rules).

Armor:
Armor typically provides hardness against all attacks and also converts damage equal to its hardness into non-lethal damage.
Light armor typically has hardness of 1 to 2.
Medium armor typically has hardness of 3 to 4.
Heavy armor typically has hardness of 5 to 6.

Special materials can increase hardness against particular attack types. Kevlar adds +2 to +4 to hardness against ballistic damage while asbestos might provide the same bonus against fire.

Armor can contain ablative plates meant to absorb a limited number of rounds. These provide temporary bonus wound points that are subtracted before touching the characters actual wounds. A typical plate can absorb 5 to 10 HP bonus wounds, while particularly high coverage might provide as many as 15 to 20 bonus wounds.

Armor can be avoided by called shots. A called shot to avoid armor invokes a penalty equal to the coverage of the armor. Coverage for armor is typically determined by counting the body parts covered up to a maximum of 10.

Head: +1
Face: +1
Upper Front Torso: +1
Lower Front Torso: +1
Back: +1
Sides: +1
Arm: +1 (each)
Leg: +1 (each)

Azgulor

Adventurer
aradinn said:
i was thinking... anyone got rules for recoil for d20 modern's firearms?
and revisions for the feats too
opinions greatly appreciated.
While not D20 Modern-specific, there are recoil rules in Forbidden Kingdoms-Master Codex.

FK is a d20 PULP game. They also re-wrote the core classes as D20 Modern advanced classes for what that's worth.

I've only read the rules but have yet to implement them in play. They seem to do the job very well, and you can create your own firearms with the rules. It seems like a plug-n-play chapter to me. My D20 Modern game is on hiatus, however, so I regret I can't give you after-action reports from an actual game.

You can find it as a PDF on the usual sites. (Haven't looked for it here at ENWorld, but they may have it also.)

aradinn

First Post
WOW! :D
Kudos to u Nadaka! but, how does the recoil points affect the no. of rounds hit?
and thanks to all others who responded!...will implement thm in our nxt session

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads