• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 SRD Wilderness entry

cr0m

First Post
On d20srd.org, in the section on getting lost does anyone know what the tables with the terrain types and percentages are for?

At first I thought it was percent of the given area (eg Forest) that was of a certain type (eg sparse, medium and dense), but then I noticed that the percentages don't add up to 100%, whether you read across or down. I've scanned the text (I'm at work) but can't find any information about how to use the tables.

Help, please.

Jhaelen

First Post
cr0m said:
At first I thought it was percent of the given area (eg Forest) that was of a certain type (eg sparse, medium and dense), but then I noticed that the percentages don't add up to 100%, whether you read across or down.
You can have several terrain features in the same square, i.e. a forest square can have both trees (either typical or massive) and undergrowth (either light or heavy).

cr0m

First Post
So are we expected to roll for each terrain feature for each square? I'm not sure how we're supposed to use the information.

EricNoah

Adventurer
It's just a general guideline -- if you're setting up a battlemat, for example, you want to roughly have the listed percentage of squares with the named feature.

Nellisir

Hero
To bring the earlier posts together: THe squares on a battlemat can have both undergrowth and trees. In a sparse forest, roughly 50% of the squares have typical trees; the rest have undergrowth or nothing. In a medium forest, 70% of the squares have typical trees and 10% have massive trees; 20% have no trees. In a dense forest every ssquare has a tree; 80% are typical; 20% are massive.

Massive trees are pretty easy to mark out; I don't place typical trees until it comes up in the game, then a quick percentile roll or player's preference works fine (if a player wanted to shelter behind a tree, the square they move to must have a tree).

Remove ads