D&D Movie/TV DADHAT hits $80,856,963 box office

MwaO

Adventurer
The very first Dragon mag i bought as a starry-eyed newbie had a Wizards Three story in it, in which Elminster, Dalamar, and Mordenkainen bait three of Mordenkainen's young female apprentices with the promise of learning magical secrets, then summon them to the Wizard Three's bbq where they are clearly expected to make themselves sexually available as entertainment, while the first-person narrator begs Elminster to be allowed to stay and watch.

'Problematic' didn't even BEGIN to cover it. Even to a mid-teenager with all the emotional intelligence of roadkill and the suave flirtatious moves of wet cement, it felt pretty off.
Yeah, I don't think people quite understand often that the 1st-2nd edition war was in part due Greenwood's writing in Dragon magazine, his world taking over and what that meant.

Iosue

Legend
Yeah, I don't think people quite understand often that the 1st-2nd edition war was in part due Greenwood's writing in Dragon magazine, his world taking over and what that meant.
Well, I was there, and don’t recall the issue being that lovers of 1e, with its brazen strumpets and gender-based ability caps, were afraid that 2e and the ascendancy of FR would lead to their game becoming more sexist. Quite the opposite, in fact.

teitan

Legend
They will but the movie seems to be in track for around 200 million.

DVDs are fairly marginal these days. They've dwindled to almost nothing.

Unlikely they'll get 100+ million via streaming. If your movie flops at the box office you're not getting top dollar for streaming.

That's assuming Paramount hasn't got streaming rights already for funding half the movie.

They're heading towards a 100-150 million dunking on current numbers. Streaming and renting isn't gonna cover that.
This isn’t the same thread is it? Is this deja vu?

teitan

Legend
It'll certainly hit DVD/Blue Ray and Pay Per View at some point.

It remains to be seen if they don't rent out the rights for a few months to Netflix or Amazon. Its going to be in Threaters for months btw.
It’s going to be on Paramount+. It’s a Paramount film. In a year after leaving theaters it might hit another service.

They were all right. I enjoyed the new spells. Ed Greenwood's writing for those articles though was.... very mercurial. It wasn't a great read, to put it mildly.

Ed Greenwood's got some high highs and low lows with his articles. Like, if I look at the monsters I used from Dragon magazine or ones I just remembered strongly, a not insignificant percentage of them were written by him. And reading his earliest articles, it's no wonder that he was eventually tapped by TSR for the Forgotten Realms.

Remove ads