Daelkyr as a Gith Bonus Language (Passed)

Patlin

Explorer
Githzerai bonus languages include Undercommon, the language of their enemies the Mind Flayers. Also on the list are Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic and Slaad. Githyanki substitute Infernal for Slaad, but are otherwise the same.

In Eberron, Githzerai ancestral enemies speak Daelkyr instead. (ECS p. 47) Daelkyr not being a language contemplated in the core rules, it's not on the list of possible bonus languages. I propose either adding it or swapping it for Undercommon.

(A web search on Gith in Eberron suggests that the Gith may be refugees from a world destroyed by the creatures of Xoriat... home of Daelkyr and mind flayers.)

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Patlin said:
Githzerai bonus languages include Undercommon, the language of their enemies the Mind Flayers. Also on the list are Abyssal, Celestial, Draconic and Slaad. Githyanki substitute Infernal for Slaad, but are otherwise the same.

In Eberron, Githzerai ancestral enemies speak Daelkyr instead. (ECS p. 47) Daelkyr not being a language contemplated in the core rules, it's not on the list of possible bonus languages. I propose either adding it or swapping it for Undercommon.

(A web search on Gith in Eberron suggests that the Gith may be refugees from a world destroyed by the creatures of Xoriat... home of Daelkyr and mind flayers.)
If we were to remove/swap, I'd suggest swapping one of the planar languages, not undercommon.

Patlin

Explorer
The only Githzerai bonus language I'd suggest not swapping would be Slaad, as the Githzerai and Slaad both live in Kithri. The others seem semi random to me, personally.

Velmont

First Post
If we are talking to the language a character can buy at start (and not have for free), I don't see a problem just to add it, it is not it would be broken to have the possibility to speak a language.

Patlin

Explorer
Velmont said:
If we are talking to the language a character can buy at start (and not have for free), I don't see a problem just to add it, it is not it would be broken to have the possibility to speak a language.

To clarify, Velmont is correct: we're talking about the list of bonus languages a character may choose based on high intelligence. We are not talking about automatic languages. Without checking, I believe Common and Gith are the only automatic languages they get, and that won't change.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
If we add the Gith, this only makes sense. Voting yes on this does not change my mind on the first quesiton, hwoever.

YES

Remove ads