DaH Map: Help me with cartography

Conaill

First Post
Good man! Nothing like taking cues from mother nature! :D

However, I do suggest you study those maps a little more closely. For example, with very few exceptions, all the lakes in the first map have exactly one *out*flow towards the ocean, and you see almost no actual circular waterways. And I believe some of the exceptions (like the one almost smack in the middle of the map) may actually be due to artificial dams, essentially creating a large "island" inside a water reservoir. Once we're dealing with mountaineous regions with fast flowing rivers (rather than a large area of water at the same elevation), those natural occurences become very rare indeed.

The second map of Lac St. Jean is a little confusing, but I bet the lake has only one actual natural *out*flow to the ocean. (A lake can - and typically will - have several rivers or brooks flowing *into* it.) Look at the location of Lac St.Jean in the first map (the area labeled "NORTH"): there's two larger rivers flowing into it from the north and west, but there's only one outflow connecting it to the ocean, to the east.

Last edited:

GralTok

First Post
But what would happen if in the middle of the continent there would a kind of hole by the earth plate.. (don't have the name.. hehe hope you understand me) The hole would have been made by two plate colliding rather violently by the different nuke that landed in short lapse of time in central europe. It slowly drains the water from the earth and as the plate collided rather violently deep river as been made from all side of the impact breaking most of the known continent.

will try to find a pics that would show what I mean... Oh well can't find it anymore but it showed plate and how quebec was under water level .... anyway

What ya think of this explanation .. (oh and nothing magical to it... ;)

ergeheilalt

First Post
GralTok said:
But what would happen if in the middle of the continent there would a kind of hole by the earth plate.. (don't have the name.. hehe hope you understand me) The hole would have been made by two plate colliding rather violently by the different nuke that landed in short lapse of time in central europe. It slowly drains the water from the earth and as the plate collided rather violently deep river as been made from all side of the impact breaking most of the known continent.

will try to find a pics that would show what I mean... Oh well can't find it anymore but it showed plate and how quebec was under water level .... anyway

What ya think of this explanation .. (oh and nothing magical to it... ;)

A hole in a techtonic plate? Well, I would think that the violence would cause a volcano to form, causing near by bodies of water to either boil away or become hot springs, a kin to those in Yosimite. Now, depending on the tectonic movement, the hole will form a rift valley or sink hole. Depending on the strength of the blast and size, it could fracture the plate in two or more pieces (depending on distance to the edges). I don't know that the river would remain, the initial volcanic spewage could be enough to damn up the river permanently.

Erge

pensiv

Explorer
considering a "hole" in the plate, you might want to take a cue from divergent plate boundaries, like the great big one in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, where there is a fairly constant, though slow, flow of magma out of it onto the ocean floor. Basically, a hole in a continental plate would end up forming a volcano, because the magma convecting out from under the plate would cool and solidify in the atmosphere.

Remove ads