• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Daily Medieval Life sources (but fictional)

Doppleganger

First Post
I'm looking for something that describes some of the more mundane details of castle/medieval living, especially that of serfs, lower-class commoners, and any other less-than-desirable aspects of feudalism in general, but preferrably encompassed as part of an interesting work of fiction (not encyclopedic information such as the stuff I've found online).

I was told to see Mervyn Peake's "Titus Groan" and "Gormenghast". I've never heard of that author or those books before. Has any body heard of these, or read them? (The descriptions sound a little bizarre).

Are there any fantasy novels out there with some detailed (and interesting) reference information and anecdotal specifics about the negative aspects of medieval feudalism in particular? (from a character's close-up personal point of view, such as that of a serf)

willpax

First Post
Connie Willis' The Doomsday Book tells the story of a time-travelling historian in England in the 1420s. Although it may not be pertinent enough for your purposes (there is also a modern plot set in the near future that takes up part of the book), there are some good historical details. I also think it s a good read.

Maraxle

First Post
Check the bargain rack at Barnes & Noble, if you have one near you. Mine have a bunch of "Secrets of Medieval Life" type books. Also, in one of Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series (can't remember which one) there's a large portion on these two races that occupy one territory. One is subservient to the other, and is taught that they are evil by nature, because they used to be the oppressors...

Sulimo

First Post
Doppleganger said:
Are there any fantasy novels out there with some detailed (and interesting) reference information and anecdotal specifics about the negative aspects of medieval feudalism in particular? (from a character's close-up personal point of view, such as that of a serf)

Although not fantasy novels, I'd suggest the Cadfael series of novels might have a little of that kind of thing. Actually, there's a whole industry involved in mysteries set in medieval/ancient settings that might contain bits of that.

And then there's Name of the Rose, which might contain something of this.

Last edited:

Doppleganger

First Post
Hand of Evil-
Thank you, those are good reference links. The thread we had a while back (1000 useful online D&D references or whatever it was called) was also very helpful for background info, and so was Buttercup's 1001 nonfiction books thread. But after surfing through alot of what seems to be relatively "dry & stale" online references, and contemplating the thought of chugging through another "school-like" manual of non-fiction, I'm now aiming for something a bit more entertaining to read (while simultaneously getting a healthy dose of information).

If there are any books of fantasy fiction (historical fiction) out there that people dismissed as "too slow" or "full of useless details" and "has too much boring background information on medieval life", then that's what I'm looking for!! Especially it's from a singular character's point of view (the exact perspective doesn't matter though), and even more especially if it paints a dreary and somewhat boring existance for the lower-classes.

willpax-
Thanks, *surfs away to check out that book, then returns*. Yep Doomsday looks like a fun read, plus the reviews mention that there are alot of well-researched historical details in it. *adds that book to list*

Maraxle-
I've seen whole series of childrens books at B&N that sounds like what you mentioned, they are really cool (with lots of idea-generating pictures too). I'm starting to work my way through the Goodkind books now, I'll keep my eyes open for the races you speak of.

Sulimo-
Good call, I just looked up the Cadfael series at they look very promising, thanks!! Also, I've seen the NotR movie of course, but I've never thought to read the novel, another good idea.

EricNoah

Adventurer
"The Midwife's Apprentice" is a young adult novel set in medieval times.

"Down the Common" is a novel told from the point of view of a married woman in a rural medieval village.

"Black Horses for the King" tells how a boy becomes the master of King Arthur's horses.

Doppleganger

First Post
Whoa, excellent!! "Down on the Common" and "The Midwife's Apprentice" appear to be absolute bullseyes. Muchisimas gracias et merci beaucoup!! And a McCaffrey book, that oughtta work out just fine. *adds all three books to a rapidly expanding list*

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Don't forget Chaucer The Canterbury Tales.

You may want to search for EBooks on the subject. You may find something you could download free.

Pollaxe

First Post
Some books I'd recommend would be:

Kemp: The Road to Crecy by Daniel Hall. Follows the progress of a serf who ends up as a bowman in the English army. Quite a good read and a lot of detail/angst about being tied to the land serving a feudal lord who's a complete idiot... the follow-up Kemp:passage at Arms is pretty good too - and has a section set in London.. They're not fantasy but should give some useful info..

An even better read IMVHO is:

Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle. Set in a fictitious and somewhat 'fantasy feel' 15th century Europe (and a bit of Africa too) this book gives a good insight into medieval camp- and campaign-life and there's a prolonged section about a siege (from the inside looking out).. very well-written by someone who definitely 'knows her onions.' :) The language is often a bit fruity though (it's been 'modernised' to make the swearwords feel more.. ahem... contemporary :D)

Any of the Sharon Penman history books are usually very good for everyday life info too.. although they're not fantasy either..

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads