• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E "Damage on a miss" poll.

Do you find the mechanic believable enough to keep?

• I find the mechanic believable so keep it.

Votes: 106 39.8%
  • I don't find the mechanic believable so scrap it.

Votes: 121 45.5%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 39 14.7%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovec

Explorer
No need to cast aspersions, man. All I was doing was saying that there were some issues in his post I agree with. I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing that he's being a jerk or anything.
The fact that he's "done with 5e" doesn't mean I can't agree with issues he's raised.
I've raised some of the same issues in this thread and others, whether I've done so on the same page of a thread is not relevant.
I'm currently playing a pathfinder game, 4e, and plan on playing the next edition. I got no stake in edition warring and am just kind of confused at the vitriol in the "what's wrong with the human race" bit.

At this point all I can do is ignore people like Herschel, he has posted nothing of value as far as the topic goes and instead insults me based on my signature. He has gone out of his way to do so even after my explanation that being a jerk or insulting or whatever is not my intention, it was to point out what I perceived as an inconsistent view in Mistwell.

My personal views on whether I am actually done with 5e aside, I waver on that issue each time I post and try to stay out of it when I can, I have made my arguments, come to see the arguments of the other side, and even been able to find some common ground between our perceived extremes. As such I don't mind if he thinks I'm being a jerk (when I am not trying to be) and I don't think you should feel bad about agreeing with my actual arguments that are made, even if he thinks you should. (But I got that he was talking to me with the 'stay out of it then' comments.)

Herschel

Adventurer
No need to cast aspersions, man. All I was doing was saying that there were some issues in his post I agree with. I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing that he's being a jerk or anything.
The fact that he's "done with 5e" doesn't mean I can't agree with issues he's raised.
I've raised some of the same issues in this thread and others, whether I've done so on the same page of a thread is not relevant.
I'm currently playing a pathfinder game, 4e, and plan on playing the next edition. I got no stake in edition warring and am just kind of confused at the vitriol in the "what's wrong with the human race" bit.

I don't agree with your opinion on this matter, but I'm still happy to read it for the very reason that you're still interested.

What's not cool is saying you (general, not you specifically, obviously) aren't interested in the product, won't be interested in the product yet still think you should be muddying the discussion. It's a lot of the same crapola we saw all through 4E, would have seen in 2E and 3E had the internet been as ubiquitous, and shows what a sad lot the human race is when our motivation is to argue against or for something we have no interest in just to mess with someone else's enjoyment.

Herschel

Adventurer
It's also not like there aren't two other options to play with the Fighter. If you like it, play it, if you don't, play one of the other two, or mix & match. Incidental damage makes sense when you're boucing a big old maul off of an enemy's breastplate.

To use an analogy from another board: a hit in D&D is like a hit in baseball. You can make direct contact with great force but unless the result is to an exposed area you don't get credited with and actual hit. Hit it hard enough and the defense may fail to keep you from at least partial success though.

Last edited:

marketingman

Explorer
So we don't roll to hit we roll to see how well we succeed with the damage. So missles are now Hittles because they don't miss. there is a jar sitting on a mantle rocking violently.

It is a very poor gamemaster who cannot Role play close hits as descriptions,

You feel that you have stuck the enemy a mighty blow at their weakest point but before your steel meets with feel of soft flesh and warm blood your blade is turned away by something solid.
As you stand there wait for the blow you realize how exposed your move left you . The telling blow falls striking your armor clad body with such force your armor squels from metal on metal contact. only when your opponent recovers his blade do you realize there is no blood.

Zardnaar

Legend
Tweet from Mearls on the WoTC boards indicate that they are going to look at hit on a miss as it is causing some confusion as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads