• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Damage reduction + anti magic

Nasma

First Post
According to the DMG, DR is a supernatural abilty, so in an anti magic field it should be supressed. To me, this doesn't make any sense for creatures such as iron golems, for whom their DR seems to be independent of magic, much like hardness. For a solar, however, it would make perfect sense. I was wondering if their was a ruling on this anywhere.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Knight Otu

First Post
Damage Reduction indeed goes away in an antimagic field, according to the current rules. However, a few creatures have DR as an extraordinary ability (such as the collosi in the ELH), which do not suffer that limitation. When in doubt, check out if the creature's combat section mentions whether the DR is Supernatural or Extraordinary. For golems, however, it is supernatural (note that the golem DRs are usually higher than the appropriate material hardness).

While this is not confirmed yet, I suppose that some DR abilities, such as the golem's, will be extraordinary in R3E.

Nasma

First Post
I was thinking of working it so that the iron golem has its normal 50/+3 DR when not in an antimagic field, but always has iron's hardness of 10.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads