• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Damage reduction.

Drew

Explorer
Um...do special ability market price bonuses allow you to bypass damage reduction?

In other words, can my +1 flaming longsword get through DR x/+2?

Drew

Explorer
That's what I thought. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_4638.JPG
    IMG_4638.JPG
    436.4 KB · Views: 21,858

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
But there's a special ability that makes your weapon count as +5 for bypassing damage reduction, of course. It's in S&F, among other books, I believe.

Attachments

• ac1.jpg
    ac1.jpg
    725.2 KB · Views: 21,889
  • ac2.jpg
    ac2.jpg
    787.8 KB · Views: 2,713
  • Screenshot 2019-07-01 at 11.03.15.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-01 at 11.03.15.png
    329.2 KB · Views: 2,499
  • Screenshot 2019-07-01 at 11.05.28.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-01 at 11.05.28.png
    493 KB · Views: 2,511

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
That would be Sure Striking , and it's a nice enhancement to give a sword if you want to keep using it for the rest of your career. It is a +1 cost, and it basically counts as +5 for purposes of DR only.

Rav

StealthyMark

First Post
This weapon special ability is called Sure Striking. It is a +1 special ability. Sure Striking weapons can bypass damage reduction as if they had an enhancement bonus of +5. It appeared in Sword and Fist and Magic of Faerun.

green slime

First Post
...And is an excellent enhancment to place on your missile weapons, which otherwise tend to get wasted on the protection from arrows and stoneskinned...

Rather expensive waste for +3 arrows (18,000 gp for 50), whitling down the stoneskin...

shilsen

Adventurer
green slime said:
...And is an excellent enhancment to place on your missile weapons, which otherwise tend to get wasted on the protection from arrows and stoneskinned...

Rather expensive waste for +3 arrows (18,000 gp for 50), whitling down the stoneskin...

Which is why an archer's best friend is the cleric who remembers to pray for a Greater Magic Weapon spell.

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
hopefully someone see's this too

DR works against every individual attack right? So 1,000 blind kobolds that manage to hit a creature with DR 20/+1 ... and none manage to do more than 20pts of dmg ... then that creature will take absolutely no damage.

that's fine.

but when I was reading thru the DMG I got a little confused on Resistances. It seemed to say that a Fire Resistance 30 worked against the first 30pts of fire rather than 30 individual fire attacks ... so you could basically overload the individual.

DMG pg81 ... if that's the case then Resist5 isn't nearly as cool as I thought it was, good yes ... not that awesome though.

(kinda answered my own question, other views would be good though)

[edit: overload in one round, it resets the next round]

Last edited:

Remove ads