• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Damage roll debuff (enlarge spell)

The_If

First Post
Enlarge spell (heroic wizard feat from Arcane Power) says that applying it decreases damage rolls by 2 per die. I assume that means an enlarged fireball causes (1d6-2)*3+int rather than 3d6-2+int. Am I reading that right?

If a die roll is 1 or 2, does it get bumped to a -1 or 0 or does it bottom out at 1 per die?

Last edited:

Regicide

Banned
Banned
Enlarge spell (heroic wizard feat from Arcane Power) says that applying it decreases damage rolls by 2 per die. I assume that means an enlarged fireball causes (1d6-2)*3+int rather than 3d6-2+int. Am I reading that right?

If a die roll is 1 or 2, does it get bumped to a -1 or 0 or does it bottom out at 1 per die?

(1d6 - 2) * 3 + INT.

I don't think they bothered making a rule to handle things like this. I'd say a die roll with a penalty bottems out at 0, not 1, however.

Camelot

Adventurer
How about this:

AdB - 2A + M

where A is the number of damage dice, B is the size of the damage dice, and M is the modifier. A nice little equation to sum it up! Ah, algebra... =)

As for minimum damage, the rules don't specify (that I've noticed), but I say it's 0. However, if you apply the -2 seperatly to each die, then it is not 0. For example, with 3d6 + Int mod damage, if you roll a 1, a 4, and a 5, that translates to -1, 2, and 3 plus your Int mod. Yes, that damage die turns into a penalty, because as the feat is written, the penalty seems to be applied after the damage roll, like my formula, not during it.

The_If

First Post
AdB - 2A + M

Makes sense to me. Bottom damage would be -A+M. Of course, the reasonable use of this would be a control spell; damage is just gravy on those anyway and dice numbers are low.

I'm new to 4e: In case I need to burn more of everything, how do I not light up allies? Or is it a worthless worry?

Dreadite

First Post
Your allies are flammable for a reason! Light 'em up!

Honestly, if the Defender at least isn't willing to take a hit when he properly clumps up some enemies, you need to find a new defender who isn't a silly wimp. I suggest a Dwarf, they're tough. ;) I'd be a little more wary about throwing flames at your squishier allies though, unless they're doing well. Ask them if they're willing to take a shot, perhaps.

There's also feats to reduce your chance to hit your allies, those are highly recommended if you go the AOE controller route.

The_If

First Post
Dwarf or Tiefling? Dwarf... or... Tiefling?
Just wrap up one of each.
Could you point me toward the feat for not poison gassing my new best friends? I seem to be as blind as a bat in sunlight.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads