• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Damage roll

D3nt3

First Post
Hi guys, I don't know if this is a dumb question but I was wondering if you could help.

I have an intellingence based warlord with the power:

adaptative stratagem

Untill the end of your next turn, the ally gains his or her choice of a power bonus to damage roll equal to your intelligence modifier (+5 in my case) or a power bonus to saving throw equal to your charisma modifier (+3).

The question is: What is a damage roll?

I am certain that everytime the player rolls dices to do damage, like 1[w] on melee attacks or power attacks, that is a damage roll.

But what about auto-damage. like consacretade ground: enemies that start their turn within the zone takes 1d6+cha radiant damage. Is that a damage roll made by the cleric?

Does it apply on both fighter's cleave damages? the 1[w]+str damage and the str modifier damage?

Does it apply on auras that do auto-damage with no dice roll? like: enemies that start their turn within the range takes 5 necrotic damage?

keterys

First Post
It's defined in the PHB, but yeah, any time you pick up dice to roll damage.

So, both damage rolls in hellish rebuke, the main hit of cleave but not the extra guy hit (that's static Str damage), consecrate apparently, rain of steel, etc. Not Furious Smash or Knockdown Assault, cause those don't involve rolling dice for damage, just do an ability score, etc.

brassbaboon

First Post
It's defined in the PHB, but yeah, any time you pick up dice to roll damage.

So, both damage rolls in hellish rebuke, the main hit of cleave but not the extra guy hit (that's static Str damage), consecrate apparently, rain of steel, etc. Not Furious Smash or Knockdown Assault, cause those don't involve rolling dice for damage, just do an ability score, etc.

OK, so any time you have an attack which involves rolling dice to determine damage you add the extra damage, right? So an attack which has a [W] damage, plus a Hunter's Quarry, plus a furious assault, plus a 2d6 for a critical hit counts as ONE ROLL, and you add the extra damage only once, not once for every sort of die you roll, right?

D3nt3

First Post
When you score a critical hit you don't have to roll anything, rather, you do maximize your damage. Is that a damage roll? If it is and you have a high crit weapon for extra dices, is that another damage roll?

keterys

First Post
Damage Rolls are defined on the PHB p276.

A power that hits for 1[W]+Str+Curse+Enh+etc is one damage roll. A critical hit is a damage roll where the dice are maximized.

Twin Strike, Riposte Strike, and Hellish Rebuke are good examples of powers that have multiple damage rolls.

Colosimus

First Post
so you're saying a crit should max out all die that you roll? (except for the +xd6 on crit, and the +1w on a high crit weapon)
Like a rogue critting a sneak would have both his weapon and his sneak die maxed out? :O

Obryn

Hero
so you're saying a crit should max out all die that you roll? (except for the +xd6 on crit, and the +1w on a high crit weapon)
Like a rogue critting a sneak would have both his weapon and his sneak die maxed out? :O
Yep. It's a change from 3.5. Sneak attack, curse, quarry... All get maxed.

The only dice which don't get maxed are ones you would not be rolling, had you rolled normal hit instead of a crit.

-O

Remove ads