• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Damaging nets to break entanglement

mostholy2

First Post
The description of the next says that an entangled victim can break the net by doing 5 points of damage to the net. Is there a limitation as to what kind of weapons they are restricted to when attempting to damage the net while entangled? I entanglement that comes with being caught in a net will not allow a 2-hand weapon or even a regular non-light weapon to be used to break out. Also I don't see that bludgeoning weapons would do much to break a net either.

Could someone clarify if there are official rules (or house rules that they use) to determine what can and cannot be used to break the entanglement of a net?

A related question would be can an ally break a net? If so, is there a chance that he accidentally hits the victim?

I could've sword that you had to do the damage using a light slashing or piercing weapon (or a natural weapon of those damage types).

However, that's not in the SRD. Huh.

An ally could break the net - and I would rule that there's no chance for him to hit his entangled friend, just as there's no chance to hit a grappling friend with a melee attack.

EDIT: Amusing typo left alone. :D

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
The only RAW stipulation I can find is under smashing and object.
SRD said:
Generally, you can smash an object only with a bludgeoning or slashing weapon.
Though I think smashing a rope with a bludgeoning weapon is silly, so I'd houserule you need a slashing weapon.

Steve Jung

Explorer
There is this under Smashing an Object: Hit Points: Ineffective Weapons--
PHB said:
The DM may determine that certain weapons just can't effectively deal damage to certain objects. For example, you may have a hard time chopping down a door by shooting arrows at it or cutting a rope with a club.
So basically it's a DM's decision.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads