• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Damsel-of-Distress

Tinner

First Post
Shoes waits for the rest of the group before responding.
"I'm in. But if we're going to do a decent job, we need to know all the details of this first attempt on the Lady."
He takes another sip of his whiskey.
"When did the attack take place? Where? Has the attacker been identified? Was he captured? Killed? Can we examine the body? How was he armed?"
Geoff pauses as he once again realizes he's letting his youthful impetuousness get the better of his tongue.
"Umm ... sorry about that. What can you tell us?"

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Kafkonia said:
At the mention of an attack on Lady Desdemona, Pete stiffens. "I could not abandon a lady in need," he says. "Is there any idea as to who may be behind the attack? Were they well-organized, or did it seem the act of a random madman?"

Tinner said:
Shoes waits for the rest of the group before responding. "I'm in. But if we're going to do a decent job, we need to know all the details of this first attempt on the Lady." He takes another sip of his whiskey. "When did the attack take place? Where? Has the attacker been identified? Was he captured? Killed? Can we examine the body? How was he armed?" Geoff pauses as he once again realizes he's letting his youthful impetuousness get the better of his tongue. "Umm ... sorry about that. What can you tell us?"

"Don't have much information. There was a single attacker armed with a sword in the marketplace. Alain fended him off, but took a nasty cut to his head. The attacker got away. Alain was in no condition to give chase, and the crowd...well, you can never really depend on the crowd. I thought it might've been random, but Alain's show a threatening note received since the attack."

Korbok pats the various pockets of his robe.

"Ah, here it is."

He hands the folded bit of paper to Pete.

RaZZer99

First Post
A safe house should prove a most defensible position. “Perhaps we should speak with the Lady and her manservant for their account of the assault. And make arrangements for defending the house.”, Tam pipes up in suggestion. A distinctive squeak emanates from the folds of Tam's robes as a plump hirsute rodent emerges from the collar. Perching itself on the wizard's shoulder, its dark whiskers twitch with excitement.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
RaZZer99 said:
Perhaps we should speak with the Lady and her manservant for their account of the assault. And make arrangements for defending the house.”, Tam pipes up in suggestion.

Korbok nods.

"A fine idea, Tam. The Lady and Alain are already at the safehouse. I suggest you be on the way."

The guildmaster hands Tam a rolled up map marking the path to the safehouse, which is located in the Small Wood at the heart of Heroes' Park in the center of town.

OOC: Sorry for the hold up. Two days of fever and three days of barely eating took more out of me than I thought. The next message shows the map of the safehouse. Unless you have more questions for Korbok, we can assume your characters arrive safely.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
The Safehouse

Map_Safehouse.jpg

One square equals 5 feet.

Fenris

Adventurer
Beren studies the map on the way over.

"I don't like the looks of this 'safehouse'. Look how many entances we have to guard! Two posts and a courtyard. We will need to be on our toes to move from one palce to the other if trouble arrives."

RaZZer99

First Post
Having studied the map as well, Tam was in quick agreement with Beren. "There are far too many potential entry points, and we have only four pairs of eyes...", he says before being interrupted by an indignant squeek from the rat perched upon his shoulder. "My apologies, make that five pairs of eyes to keep watch. Though I might be able to ward the Lady's room with an alarm to help matters.", he quickly adds. But there was something else deeply troubling the abjurer of which he remained silent. The energy flow of the structure was all wrong and was eagerly inviting all sorts of ill fortune and bad spirits. Anyone with a modicrum of arcane engineering knowledge knows that you build entry doors on directly opposite ends to ensure a healthy natural flow of otherworldly forces. Here they just have all the energies pooling inside the courtyard which spelled eventual catastrophe. It was enough of a concern to turn Tam's natural nervous unease into an incessant worry.

OOC: I have nothing more to ask the guildmaster, so Tam is ready to go to the house.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
The quartet arrive at the safehouse in short order. A half-dozen or so yards into Small Wood and the town seems to vanish. The heroes can hear the sounds of the town - wagonwheels creaking, dogs barking, people yelling - but can't see any of the activity. There is a narrow footpath snaking through the trees.

Heroes' Park is nearly devoid of structures. There's the safehouse, of course. There's a topiary maze surrounding Founders' Monument, a sort of museum honoring the town's founders. There's the Old Circle, a ring of megaliths considerably more ancient than the town itself. Finally, there's the Inquisitor's Tower.

The Inquisitor is the law-enforcement of the town, but only with regard to matters-of-state. Run-of-the-mill crime is handled by the militia. The Inquisitor, in contrast, deals with issues of treason, crimes against the nobility, disputes between guilds, and so forth. As a result, the nobility and guilds (and so forth) of the town are unusually trouble-free. No one idly provokes the Inquistor.

"Sure, we've not been followed. Takes a rogue to spot a rogue, I always say," Shoes remarks, which isn't much of an exaggeration. He repeated that phrase at least twenty times between the guildhouse and safehouse.

The safehouse's exterior doesn't inspire much confidence. It does, indeed, seem poorly defensible. As the quartet approaches from the east, the door opens halfway. Just inside, a guild-guard waves for everyone to enter.

"Hey oh," the guard says. "I'm Blake. Master Korbok had me minding the store 'til ya arrived. The Lady is her in chambers. Alain's in the kitchen. I was told to show ya around before I left."

And so Blake conducts a tour, leading the group first into the main courtyard.

"The exterior doors, as ya can see, are reinforced by iron bands and can be blocked by a crossbeam. Crossbeams lock into place. Makes 'em hard to jimmy from the outside," Blake points out as he leads the way from the guard post. "The interior doors leading into the courtyards have a drop-down iron pole." He points to above the lintel. A heavy iron bar is fixed into loops set into the wall. "Drop that pole by pulling this cord. It falls through the lintel, through the door, into a depression in the threshold. Nearly impossible to jimmy open, and it'd wake the dead to bash through."

The group enters the courtyard.

"We gots a basic courtyard here. Well for water. The kitchen's over there. Sleeping quarters over there. Ain't too comfortable, but it'll do. Windows are just arrow loops. Hard to squeeze through 'em, and they can all be shuttered and barred from the inside. Through there's the Lady's chambers. Two doors leading in from this side. Two from the other. Them doors have drop-down iron poles on the insides. Securest part of the house."

Blake points up to the open sky above the courtyard.

"Twenty foot drop. Edge around the top's set with blades and spikes. Also - and this is hush-hush - about fifteen feet up there's an invisible net set with hooks. Right nasty surprise. Same with the other courtyard south of the Lady's chambers. There's another guard room over there, also, and some storerooms."

He turns back toward the kitchen and yells, "Hey, Alain! Guards're here!"

To the party, "Well, that's it for me. Alain'll take over from here. Introduce ya to the Lady, and what not. I'll show myself out, but ya best be locking up after me."

OOC: I'm going out of town tomorrow evening. Be gone for about a week. I don't know if I'll have internet access during that time. For now, we'll not worry about losing Shoes's player. (Other than to wish him well.)

Kafkonia

First Post
As they wait for Alain to arrive, Pete takes a look around.

"I have to agree that the design leaves something to be desired if we need to defend the building from a full-on assault," he says. "That being said, at least it gives us multiple options to flee with Lady Desdemona should discretion prove the better part of valour." He grins wryly.

"As for warding the lady's room," he continues, "might I suggest placing your alarums slightly further out, to provide us with more time to react? If this is possible... I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the wards you use."

Remove ads