• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Damsel-of-Distress

RaZZer99

First Post
Blake's thorough (but far too hasty for Tam's tastes) tour of the grounds inspired a bit more confidence in the safety of this supposed safe house. There were still the troubling flaws in the architectural design. "Has anyone checked the well...", he asks suspiciously, "It's just I've read several military accounts of poisoning well water during a seige." Tam was reluctant to mention other well-centric horror stories that came readily to mind, namely one that involved unspeakable undead horrors arising from the waters in the middle of the night. He shuddered at the thought.

"I'm afraid that wouldn't be possible. The alarm can only cover an area the size of a campsite.", he responds to Pete's suggestion.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
A tall, thin man exits the kitchen.

"The water's fine," he says. His voice sounds like rocks being ground together. "I'm Alain, the Lady Desdemona's steward."

The first impression of Alain's thinness is misleading. Yes, he is thin, but he as he walks toward the adventurers, he moves with well-oiled grace. Only once does his bootheel scuff the ground. Otherwise, he walks silently. The sleeves of his white shirt are rolled up to the elbow. Alain's forearms are corded with muscle. A rapier in an elegant scabbard hangs from his belt. This is no pampered servant.

"Thank you for coming," he continues. "The Lady is resting at the moment. I'm due to wake her in a few minutes, after I've finished supper. Would you care to accompany me to the kitchen? That way I can work as well as answer whatever questions you might have."

Fenris

Adventurer
"Hi Alain, names Beren. What else can you tell us of the first attempt on The Lady?" asks Beren as he walks with Alain to the kitchen.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Fenris said:
"Hi Alain, names Beren. What else can you tell us of the first attempt on The Lady?" asks Beren as he walks with Alain to the kitchen.

"They call me Shoes," says Shoes as the group follows Alain into the kitchen.

Alain goes back to a bubbling pot, lifting the lid with a heavy cloth and stirring the contents. The heady aroma of spices, beef, and vegetables fill the air.

"There's not much to tell, unfortunately," Alain says. "We were in the market yet again. The Lady loves to spend money. She was haggling with a jewelry merchant over the price of a necklace when I was struck from behind." Alain replaces the pot's lid and points to the back of his head. "The villain didn't reckon with the hardness of my skull. He had the Lady by the throat with one hand, was threatening her with a shortsword in the other. I lept to my feet and grappled him from behind. We struggled for a bit. I thought I'd gained the upper hand, but then he stabbed me through the side. Then, he ran."

Alain opens the iron door of the oven and slides out of fresh-baked loaf of bread. He places it on a nearby oaken table.

"The villain wore a hood and mask. I'm nearly certain he was human, about my height, but somewhat heavier. Beyond that --" Alain shrugs. "I gave chase, but couldn't find him after a couple of corners. I did, however, find the note stuck to a post with a dagger. The villain was -- is -- after the Lady's Recondite Pendant."

[sblock]Beron has heard that the Recondite Pendant once belonged to the great Southland sage Bowgentle Kale. According to legend, the Recondite Pendant is "the key to Bowgentle's most ineffable secrets."[/sblock]

Kafkonia

First Post
"It's lucky for all involved that the hooligan took time to menace the lady," Pete observes, "rather than slaying her outright."

Fenris

Adventurer
"I doubt it was luck, more likely the thief did not think she had it with her, nor did he have the time to search her corpse. Well, thank you Alain, we at least know something. The true question is whether the thief was acting on the part of some larger organization. And I think they might, so if our hiding place is discovered, we may face several foes. Hopefully they will only reckon on a lone baker with a hard head" says Beron giving Alain a wink and a smile.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Alain grins as he begins slicing the bread. "You're right about the Pendant. The Lady did not have it with her at the time. We have it hidden along with her other more valuable pieces of jewelry." He begins ladling stew into wooden bowls. "I've tried to convince the Lady several times that leaving home to come here was a mistake, but she's a stubborn girl." He places the sliced bread and bowls of stew on a large pewter platter. "Over a light meal is a good enough time for you to meet Lady Desdemona. Shall we?"

RaZZer99

First Post
Tam listened intently to Alain’s recount of the Lady’s near death experience. This seemingly simple job was beginning to sound far more dangerous than the young wizard had anticipated. Breaking and entering he could deter with magics, but a knife in the back by skilled assassins was another matter entirely. With a practiced grace, Tam lightly touches both of his shoulders and then his forehead in a peculiar (if not highly superstitious) genuflection as if to ward off the ill-fated thoughts floating through his mind. Nodding to Alain’s suggestion, Tam readies himself to meet this troubled woman.

Remove ads